Turbo Kid

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, August 27th - 31st 2015
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Turbo Kid

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - pretty much nailed what it set out to do. Lots of fun so long as you have sympathy with the premise...
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Turbo Kid

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Fun parody of post-apocalyptic 80s films, where everybody rides around a nuclear wasteland on BMXs. Very reminiscent of similar low-budget Canadian gore-fests like Hobo with a Shotgun and Manborg, with its affectionate throwback to the cheesy action and gore-filled films of the 80s. Here the worship of the 80s is front and center, with appearances of 80s bric-a-brac like Rubik's cubes, references to action figures and a great electionic soundtrack. It's not a great film: too often it's content to pastiche instead of parody, with the result that it's not as funny as it should be, and the structure and plot twists are taken so reverently from its 80s progenitors that it shares with them a predictability and familiarity. It benefits from having a lot of heart and a dedication to delivering entertainment and action. An impressive achievement on what looks to have been a very low budget.

6/10
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

As long as you accept it for what it is and trying to do was great fun.

A real surprise as I had pretty low expectations going in.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Not particularly my kind of movie and alarm bells really started ringing when Apple first appeared, but the film picked up after a shaky start with plenty of charm, nostalgia and gory setpieces. If this kind of retro flick is your bag you'll really lap it up! 7 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
bree1981
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by bree1981 »

Really enjoyed this, one of the highlights of my festival, here's a link to my review over on letterboxd if any one is interested; letterboxd.com/bree1981/film/turbo-kid/
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Really delivered to an audience numbed by what they had just witnessed in Cherry Tree. Ticked all the 80's boxes and gave us some mighty schlock gore in the final third.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on FreeVee and PlutoTV
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey