Landmine Goes Click

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, August 27th - 31st 2015
Leather_Raven
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Landmine Goes Click

Post by Leather_Raven »

My interpretation was that Chris accidently killed her with the shotgun. Guessing they didn't have the budget to make that clearer...
I recall her having a gaping neck wounded, so I assumed that the dog had been set on her.
AnotherSchmuck
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by AnotherSchmuck »

jonbly wrote:
Leather_Raven wrote:Alicia is then un-ceremonially killed off screen.
My interpretation was that Chris accidently killed her with the shotgun. Guessing they didn't have the budget to make that clearer...
I assumed that happened also, I thought it was pretty clear though and felt that it really didn't need anything else graphic adding to it, given the previous 5 minutes we and that character had endured.

Uncomfortable and unrelenting, it stirred up some of the feelings I felt when I watched Irreversible, I'm not fond of feeling like that for 90 minutes but it was well produced if a bit overdrawn in some sections.

I think we all left the cinema feeling like Chris in the end. Sad, exhausted and futile.
"Horror films don't create fear. They release it." – Wes Craven

Instagram - timothyrobinparsons
Twitter - @AnotherSchmuck
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

I saw this first up on he day and it was hard going first thing in the morning. Thought it was well made but lacked a bit of polish. I'd have liked better split of time spent explaining the time lapse too vs cutting down some of the earlier stuff. Friday was a grim day mostly though!
Tyrannosaurus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Tyrannosaurus »

Leather_Raven wrote: Likewise Ilya's wife and daughter are also horribly mistreated in order to give Ilya pain.
The wife was... tied up. Real horrible mistreatment, which isn't even mistreatment really, as restraining someone you don't want to get away is fairly appropriate. The daughter was humilated, but not much, and since the worst things you can do to anyone is are endanger, kill their child... and yeah, humiliation probably counts, all that was much worse for Ilya than his daughter.

Also, your attitude seems fairly silly given its not uncommon for horror films kill off the male protagonist (sometimes deuteragonist also) and leave only female characters alive.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Everything just went on a bit too long in this film.

My mate compared the actor who was stood on a Landmine to Father Dougal Mcguire.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

TheDukeAbides wrote:My mate compared the actor who was stood on a Landmine to Father Dougal Mcguire.
Once seen, cannot be unseen. :o
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Really enjoyed this, was going to skip it but so glad that I didn't.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
Leather_Raven
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Leather_Raven »

Tyrannosaurus wrote:
Also, your attitude seems fairly silly given its not uncommon for horror films kill off the male protagonist (sometimes deuteragonist also) and leave only female characters alive.
Yup, you're right, male characters do often get killed off to facilitate a 'final girl' scenario. However, they are not usually humiliated, tortured and abused to give the female characters emotional pain and justify any upcoming eye-for-an-eye style revenge. Whereas it's a fairly common for female characters to be killed off specifically to give male characters emotional pain (also known as 'fridging' taken from this comic book trope https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Refrigerators.) So it's not merely a case of who is killed, but why and for what purpose. For me fridging isn't always terrible, sometimes it works okay, other times not. This is one of those not times. Incidentally, if Chris and Alicia's positions had been reversed and she was the one on the landmine, and then getting revenge, it would have been an interesting critique on the final girl trope and what it actually means to be in that scenario and the reality of taking a life (an aspect of the movie that I liked.)
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on Amazon Prime, Plex, WeDoTV and Icon.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey