Landmine Goes Click

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, August 27th - 31st 2015
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Landmine Goes Click

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - Really enjoyed this, although it could do with a little editing down here and there.
scarebear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Landmine Goes Click

Post by scarebear »

Big surprise. Best film I saw today and I wasn't expecting how it ended. The rape scene could have been edited a bit though. 9/10
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Agreed on the rape scene, could have been edited down and not lost any impact. I didn't like the lack of moral separation between Ilia and Chris when it came down to the revenge aspect. Only in the final seconds did we see any sign that he wasn't just as bad as Ilia on the hillside.
danthsmith
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by danthsmith »

This was pretty original although Ilya got too much time doing his annoying thing and obviously the rape was gratuitously long. Good ending
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

I nearly skipped this in favour of a disco film, but glad I didn't - much more serious than I was expecting and it gets darker and more brutal as the tale unfolds, climaxing with a devastating conclusion. Recommended for those who like their horror to pack a punch. 8.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Awkward one this.

I feel that there is a really good film in here somewhere but needs some judicious pruning to get the best out of it.

As I mentioned to other people around me and as has been mentioned here the rape scene needs trimming down some as that was uncomfortable to watch.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

DJBenz wrote:Agreed on the rape scene, could have been edited down and not lost any impact. I didn't like the lack of moral separation between Ilia and Chris when it came down to the revenge aspect. Only in the final seconds did we see any sign that he wasn't just as bad as Ilia on the hillside.
I thought the whole film presented a pretty bleak view of human nature. I can understand violence in self-defence, or an act of revenge in the heat of the moment, but when it's planned and cold-blooded it feels like the avenger is descending to the level of the offender.

Here we have a guy knowing his girlfriend has cheated with his best friend, but rather than, understandably, dumping her immediately he's able to coldly go through with setting up a camping trip, a "wedding", a landmine stunt. Not a nice man. Then a passing huntsman just happens to be a greedy, bullying, manipulative, scumbag rapist. Not a nice man at all. Then the surviving guy seeks revenge - perhaps justifiably, although a fair amount of time seems to have passed - but includes the innocent wife and daughter which made me very uncomfortable indeed.

Having said all that, it's a well made and absorbing film which I'll certainly remember when many others are forgotten.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

The Soapmaker wrote:Then the surviving guy seeks revenge - perhaps justifiably, although a fair amount of time seems to have passed - but includes the innocent wife and daughter which made me very uncomfortable indeed.
Exactly how I felt.
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

I really did not like this. The third act was intersting but its not a good film. I felt it could have done somthing different but it no creepy local is a rapist. It's well worn and it was obvious thats where it was going early on.
ian
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by ian »

take out about half of the local guy's "i *want* to help you but..." bit to cut about 20mins and it would have been a fair bit better.

also some slightly better acting wouldnt have gone amiss, but it was an OK film.
Leather_Raven
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Leather_Raven »

Whilst I think the premise was really interesting and certainly had a lot of potential (in regards to the things we are willing to reveal when death is on the line) I found it a nasty movie that treated its female characters abysmally.

Despite cheating involving two people, it was Alicia who was repeatedly called a "whore" and then raped, and killed. Chris got no such treatment. The revealing of the secret to Dan happened off screen, so by the time we came back to them they were almost cordial. Okay, Chris is the one on the landmine, although as we discover later, it's not live. As many have mentioned, the rape was gratuitously long and just added to the feeling that it was only being done to give Chris pain. Alicia is then un-ceremonially killed off screen. Likewise Ilya's wife and daughter are also horribly mistreated in order to give Ilya pain.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of delving into the psychological implications of revenge, but I felt this movie squandered its potential in this regard as well.

Disappointing.
Scrofulous Peasant
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Scrofulous Peasant »

Nasty but extremely compelling. Couldn't see where it was going and it held my attention for it's entire running time which is more than some of the films did this year. 8 / 10
killer guinea pigs
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by killer guinea pigs »

probably my top 3 fav of the fest.

i thought the whole film would be 2 or 3 people stood on landmines for 90 mins a bit like frozen where they would sit in one location until the end.

but it wasnt like that and the film changes 2 thirds in.

but more than this i felt the acting and the way the characters acted was very realistic.

i agree with other posts about the main victims reaction and how he behaves is questionable but it reminded me of last house on left when the tables are turned.

i cant wait to see the hollywood remake........robert de niro to play the rapist, jennifer lawarence to play the female lead and zac efron to play the bitter betrayed boyfriend...........now that would be a real horror film !!!!!!
MrsBBC
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by MrsBBC »

Landmine is definitely in my top 3, if not my favourite of the festival purely for the emotional wreck state it left me in afterwards.
I love bleak films and that feeling of emptiness after watching something harrowing, but this was completely different.
My whole body felt broken and had invisible shakes, as if I'd consumed pints of coffee. Outside, my mate and I grabbed and hugged each other and we ended up crying.... ridiculous. I felt f**cked for hours.

It was an excellent film, that as others have already said, would have benefited hugely from more assertive editing. An interesting premise, turned on it's head, not what I expected and some excellent acting.
I was sad to read on IMDB that Kote Tolordava who played Ilya had died in April.

This review posted by brad1000 is fairly thorough
http://thepeoplesmovies.com/2015/08/fil ... oes-click/
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Leather_Raven wrote:Alicia is then un-ceremonially killed off screen.
My interpretation was that Chris accidently killed her with the shotgun. Guessing they didn't have the budget to make that clearer...