Hellions

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, August 27th - 31st 2015
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Hellions

Post by jonbly »

2/10 - Actively disliked this one. Irrelevant IR photography and filters made it look as uninteresting as the plot. The odd scene with blatently adult hellions didn't help.

Bad fest for Satanic births so far...
Last edited by jonbly on Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
eye4images
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Hellions

Post by eye4images »

Thank you very much for posting these reviews.

I sat next to you 2 or 3 years back and found you were very agreeable company. I'm not there this year but am keeping up with things via your thoughts here. Enjoy the rest of the festival.

Best wishes,

Graham
adeyboy99
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by adeyboy99 »

This was our red herring film of the day. It started off very promising but just fell apart and it felt like we were watching a badly edited music video towards the end. Really liked the lead character but it just didn't know what sort of genre it wanted to be. The soundtrack also got very tiresome. It really was an abortion of a film, quite literally !
Jon H
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jon H »

I'm going to stand up for Hellions - I thought it was a fine psychedelic horror film - great interior filming in the scene where the house was attacked, creepy little 'Trick r Treat'-esq hellion people. A bit derivative sure - but great fun for a Friday morning.
danthsmith
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by danthsmith »

I fell asleep in this one. It was annoying
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

At the beginnning of day 4, this is still the worst of the festival for me. The setup in the first 20 minutes is reasonably decent - there's a scene where Dora and her boyfriend are lying in a pumpkin field that had a nice Ray Bradbury atmosphere. The doctor wearing his goblin ears was a good bit of visual wit, etc. Things just start to fall apart as soon as the Hellions arrive. Desaturating the image and applying a pink or violet tint did not help create the surreal dreamworld I presume the director was aiming for, it just made the film very unpleasant to look at. And as for that horrible repetitive soundtrack started up, it was memorable for all the wrong reasons. As if the visual and aural unpleasantness wasn't enough, it became a mess of random imagery and confused narrative, including characters acting like idiots. It was a relief when it was over.

2/10
HeadOnAStick
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by HeadOnAStick »

What were the exploding pumpkins about? Anyone?
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Not without its flaws as already documented, but I quite liked the story and I loved some of the visuals. 7.5 / 10
Spoiler:
The film could have done with the creepy kids causing even more chaos across a whole street rather than one location, which would have also provided an opportunity for more on-screen kills.
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Great visuals...odd story, somewhat dreamlike and maybe we had all had our fill of possessed pregnancies after the night before. Still, about 5 films in and we'd had Michael Ironside, Lance Henrikson and Robert Patrick ! That's a result in my book.
Tyrannosaurus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Tyrannosaurus »

I considerPontypoolthe single scariest movie I've seen so I think its good this one took a different approach and didn't try to outdo it. That said, while slightly disturbing it could've been a lot beter.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Absolute load of cinematic tosh. The biggest let down of the festival
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com