Some Kind Of Hate

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, August 27th - 31st 2015
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Some Kind Of Hate

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - started to get bad vibes during the intro that this would be a movie about whiny teenagers, but the whole thing came together into a pretty decent slasher.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Some Kind Of Hate

Post by ChrisReynolds »

I'm seeing a lot of comments on facebook really hating on this for glamourising self-harm. There was a question asked about this in the Film4 screening, and the director's comment that they were trying to portray the issue without judging the sufferers seemed fair to me. There are unpleasant comments made by characters withing the film, but these are done by unsympathetic and boorish characters. It's a film about literalising teenage hatred and rage as a supernatural entity, to try and portray how, unchecked, they can go out of control and hurt the sufferer and others.

Having said that, I don't think it was more of an OK film than a good one. The script takes some interesting twists and turns but is never strongly compelling, acting, cinematography and direction are acceptable but never exceptional. Good special effects for the gore, and there were some nasty scenes that made me wince, which I was happy about.

5/10
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Explores the themes of bullying and has a Carrie-esque vibe to it, albeit without ever reaching the heights of that classic. Seemed to go a little off the rails at the end and unfortunately I wasn't very sympathetic towards Moira, although the spin-offs may help flesh out her character. Some good slasher moments though. 7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
thatcambridgebird
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by thatcambridgebird »

ChrisReynolds wrote:I'm seeing a lot of comments on facebook really hating on this for glamourising self-harm. There was a question asked about this in the Film4 screening, and the director's comment that they were trying to portray the issue without judging the sufferers seemed fair to me.
I was in the Film4 screening too, and to be honest I thought the director considered his answer carefully and gave it the intelligence it deserved, which opened up a brief debate between him and the guy who asked the question which was quite interesting to hear. It's a shame everyone's now jumping on the self-harm bandwagon on facebook, if that's the case.

To be honest, the only vaguely offensive thing I found in the Q&A was the director's comment about how horror films were attractive to horror fans, because horror fans have witnessed/experienced nasty things in our lives so therefore it's cathartic to see it on screen. I completely disagree with that view and wanted to make comment on it because it made me quite cross, but that would probably opened a whole other debate which isn't for a post film Q&A session!
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

thatcambridgebird wrote:
ChrisReynolds wrote:I'm seeing a lot of comments on facebook really hating on this for glamourising self-harm. There was a question asked about this in the Film4 screening, and the director's comment that they were trying to portray the issue without judging the sufferers seemed fair to me.
I was in the Film4 screening too, and to be honest I thought the director considered his answer carefully and gave it the intelligence it deserved, which opened up a brief debate between him and the guy who asked the question which was quite interesting to hear. It's a shame everyone's now jumping on the self-harm bandwagon on facebook, if that's the case.

To be honest, the only vaguely offensive thing I found in the Q&A was the director's comment about how horror films were attractive to horror fans, because horror fans have witnessed/experienced nasty things in our lives so therefore it's cathartic to see it on screen. I completely disagree with that view and wanted to make comment on it because it made me quite cross, but that would probably opened a whole other debate which isn't for a post film Q&A session!

Completely agree on both points - I imagine half the people jumping on the self-harming bandwagon haven't even seen the film - and it was a relatively small part of the plot too. The Director answered his critics in that Q&A perfectly - presumably it will be available to see somewhere at some point for those in other screens?
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
anaana
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by anaana »

I found this film absolutely dreadful, and I am shocked to read some positive reviews here and there, including a gloating "cult classic" review at Fangoria. Could I really be so far off?

Never mind. I really could not stand the pathetic dialogues, the lame (but non-stop) bullying, the way that dead girl literally bounced into the scene.

The worst I have watched at FF in years.

1/10 (one point for hot girls)
HannahNoir
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by HannahNoir »

1/10 from me.

This film made me quite angry. I was in the Horror Screen and took a dislike to the director and main actor who came out. Not their fault I guess! The Director was jumping up and down with so much enthusiasm it put me off and also asked the audience if people get bullied here, like being called a fag and stuff (he was quick to point out he didn't mean cigarette which was helpful for us to understand....) which just felt like quite an ignorant thing to say? The actor said if this film helps anyone suffering from bullying feel less alone then his job here was done. I felt that was an odd thing to say like people don't know other people can be bullied too - I'm sure it's very lonely but I doubt seeing this film will help. I just felt like the actor and director knew nothing of bullying or did much research into the realities and lived fairly sheltered rich boy lives.

The actor mentioned someone in his school, in a different year to him committing suicide due to being bullied - which is the impression I get is as close as any of them came to it. I don't think they were bad people - just tackling a sensitive subject with little understanding and a lot of assumption. Which would be fine if they film was a flat out revenge film, the back story doesn't need to be accurate, but it was trying to portray a reality and it couldn't.

I thought the two teenage girls' sexualised portrayal of self-harm was irresponsible.

Why was the ghost girl solid?

Why was the main bloke so artificially moral? It wasn't that he felt weak and bullied, or belittled and victimised and confused, or lacking in strength - it was that he took the moral high ground to not fight back?!

What was the point of making the delinquent kid camp some kind of cult commune charismatic leader place? That plot didn't come into play anywhere?

The main bloke reminded me of the goth kids from South Park. Just really over played and silly - which it's supposed to be in South Park, not so much in this.

I think the director probably had good intentions - to give bullied kids in real life an outlet, an understanding, some revenge. But failed miserably and in fact pissed people off!
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Also in the Film4 Q&A and while I did like that there was the opportunity to respond, don't think the "bandwagon" assumption is really fair - there was the one side of showing characters who did have to deal with bullying, but there wasn't really an answer to the weaponising (and sexualising) of self harm as it was used in Moira's methods.
When he said that none of the self-harm organisations would work with them to put something in the credits that they already thought was awkward, it came across as naive, like he didn't realise that side of the film and was still just viewing Moira's methods as poetic justice and not clicking how else it could come across. That seemed to be the common impression for some others I spoke to after that screening (and there were a lot of sharp intakes of breath round the middle of the screen during that Q&A!), but other things said after subsequent screenings and the FFTV clips look to have done fewer favours too!
From my point of view, there were some interesting ideas in there which just got undermined by not thinking it through fully... the rip-off of the climax of Candyman was a bit disappointing as well!
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
Myerla
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Myerla »

HannahNoir wrote:1/10 from me.

This film made me quite angry. I was in the Horror Screen and took a dislike to the director and main actor who came out. Not their fault I guess! The Director was jumping up and down with so much enthusiasm it put me off and also asked the audience if people get bullied here, like being called a fag and stuff (he was quick to point out he didn't mean cigarette which was helpful for us to understand....) which just felt like quite an ignorant thing to say? !

Glad I am not the only one to feel this was rather odd. Had a instant dislike of him following this.
powerpopkid
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by powerpopkid »

1/5 for me.

Director also came across a bit of a twat on stage.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

I too was in the horror screen where we got the very long introduction from the director who was trying to portray it as some sort of reach out to the bullied. What a joke it then was to see such a misguided film on the subject.
I don't think there's a self harm bandwagon here, the fact the ghost had a necklace of razor blades was bad enough but then came the scene where she self harmed the lead female who appeared to be 'getting off' on it! I work with people who have self harmed and believe me they do not get sexual gratification from it.
Misguided, misjudged and generally not very good.
killer guinea pigs
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by killer guinea pigs »

i was in the arrow screen and didnt get this kind of pretention from the director but i guess he learned his lesson from feedback from the other screens.

my opinion of the film was bland for the first half and the picked up a beat in the second half but still crap ovarall.

sunchoke was on the other screen and i wished i had seen that

the reason i watched this sunday afternoon drama was because bloody disgusting.com like it....never mind you cant win them all.
Tyrannosaurus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Tyrannosaurus »

The first half a decent effort, but... ultimately demonstrates why a "serious" slasher is like trying to make a genuinely mysterious Scooby Doo episode.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on Icon.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey