Slumlord

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, August 27th - 31st 2015
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Slumlord

Post by jonbly »

6/10 - A tedious examination of a marriage in crisis, only enlivened by the wacky hijinks of their landlord.

Wasted potential here for the kind of subtle relationship sabotage that Sleep Tight did much better. The landlord doesn't seem to actually have a plan going in... it's just luck that things unfold as they do with Hannah.

The title seems a bit odd... the house is pretty nice!
scarebear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Slumlord

Post by scarebear »

Found it very creepy. But enjoyable.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

I thought it was the best film of the day. Although I have to admit I also felt grubby and unclean after watching it and felt like I needed a good scrub down in a hot bath using a brillo pad. Slumlord Gerald was like a cross between Joe Spinell's sweaty maniac and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. Even when he was just sitting there watching the cctv with his cold dead eyes and slack jawed expression he oozed depraved sickness from every pore. 8/10 here.
HeadOnAStick
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by HeadOnAStick »

Really liked this one. Sometimes it's nice to have a creepy pervert who looks like a creepy pervert, more Ed Gein than Ted Bundy, if you know what I mean. Relatively slow to build up but the final act delivered on all the expectation.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Better than expected - not entirely dissimilar to Sleep Tight but definitely a beast of its own, with the landlord suitably sleazy and scummy, a bit like Martin in The Human Centipede 2. There was enough going on with the tenants too to ensure the story didn't drag until it's perhaps inevitable conclusion. 7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
thatcambridgebird
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by thatcambridgebird »

jonbly wrote:6/10 - A tedious examination of a marriage in crisis, only enlivened by the wacky hijinks of their landlord.

Wasted potential here for the kind of subtle relationship sabotage that Sleep Tight did much better. The landlord doesn't seem to actually have a plan going in... it's just luck that things unfold as they do with Hannah.

The title seems a bit odd... the house is pretty nice!
Your first sentence made me snort into my desk at work!

Yep, totally agree on the second point, and I said as much to the other half - Sleep Tight did it way better. And yeah, I'd have lived in that house! Without CCTV and mental landlord torture den, of course.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Alex J wrote:...with the landlord suitably sleazy and scummy, a bit like Martin in The Human Centipede 2.
I felt that, too... particularly in terms of his charmingly naive approach to his evil plans.
thatcambridgebird wrote:Your first sentence made me snort into my desk at work!
Victory is mine!
Oswald Cobblepot
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Oswald Cobblepot »

It was pretty sleazy, but not very satisfying. The protagonists had no idea what was going on until the very end, by which time it was too late. They had no opportunity to fight back, or try to put one over on Slumlord which made for an unsatisfying and depressing viewing experience. I hope the dog was ok !

The casting director deserves kudos for finding such a revolting looking individual. Seeing him with his pile of tissues staring at the screen with those milky looking eyes, slightly open mouth and badly fitting glasses perched up on the back of his ears certainly made me feel a bit queasy. The scene where he put his hand on the wife's pregnant belly was horrible.
Last edited by Oswald Cobblepot on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Just from looking at the poster of the bloke's face I wasn't looking forward to this, but it wasn't bad although I can't say I actually liked it.

I thought we might get a sleazy, scummy early Abel Ferrara type scenario, so finding it was set in a really quite nice house in LA was a bit of a surprise. All a bit too tame really, and it felt like the adulterous couple were being "punished" for their infidelities, although I'm sure that wasn't intentional.

I didn't understand why they apparently didn't see or hear the landlord turning up in his van at the end. It might've worked better if he'd been actually hiding in the house. Like Gary Busey.
Scrofulous Peasant
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Scrofulous Peasant »

6 / 10 from me. Would have been more but was let down by the ludicrous ending.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

This was OK, but I was disappointed that it didn't get a lot nastier and I agree that it was too tame. The ingredients for some really banal, everyday type misandric gruesomeness a'la Henry were all there, and then nothing much happened. Wasted opportunity.
greenzombidog
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by greenzombidog »

This is one I was going to skip but ended up seeing it in the end. I actually enjoyed it. Like most people have said the actors appearance helped sell his creepiness and then the added bonus of his Grover from sesame street voice just made me like him more. I wonder how much he spent on all those bacon burgers.
7/10.
In the dark womb we ate hot slime
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on WeDoTv.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey