Tales Of Halloween

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, August 27th - 31st 2015
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Tales Of Halloween

Post by jonbly »

6/10 - Meh... some good bits, some bad bits. You'll find something you like in here, but will it be worth it? Personal favourite was the channeling of Tim Curry...
danthsmith
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Tales Of Halloween

Post by danthsmith »

I did laugh a bit but it was padded and indulgent. The Christmas effort was far more successful and had some real wit. There was a lot of quite samey stuff in it. Neil marshal should crack on and make an actual film.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

A mixed bag as can be expected from an anthology, but overall I didn't enjoy it as much as A Christmas Horror Story, but that could be due to fatigue or my much different expectations going into each. Agree that this one probably suffered from the segments being shorter and therefore lacking meat on the bones. 7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
HannahNoir
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by HannahNoir »

The cute trick or treat alien!!
Oswald Cobblepot
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Oswald Cobblepot »

Not amazing, but I much preferred this to Christmas Horror Story.

Most of the segments weren't brilliant, but because there were so many more EC Comics style stories they resolved themselves quickly and hit their punchlines faster.

Christmas Horror Story dragged out it's not very well thought through stories over a much longer period of time (Santa/elves excepted).

'Ransom of Rusty Rex' and 'Friday the 31st' were the best segments for me, and Adam Gierasch in something he wrote/directed not being utterly shit shocker.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Oswald Cobblepot wrote:Not amazing, but I much preferred this to Christmas Horror Story.
Opposite for me, but enjoyed both. I felt they totally underused Adrienne Barbeau as the radio presenter that seemed to be trying to act as the wraparound, but didn't actually wrap round much. Didn't really understand the story with Pollyanna McIntosh, but the rest of them were pretty decent.

Little 'Twick or Tweat' buddy was an absolute fave though.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Another vote for this over A Christmas Horror Story.

The first few stories were a bit repetitive - some trick-or-treating then somebody dies - but it got much better as it went along. Quite a good choice for closing film, I thought.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

The Soapmaker wrote:Quite a good choice for closing film, I thought.
Definitely. The Signal last year was a solid film, but I think it's better to close on something like this which really gets the audience fired up and happy.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Quite an agreeable film and I felt it fitted with closing out the festival, though did prefer the Xmas one.

The only duff story I thought was the one with the kids killing the adults and the Lucky McKee section was a bit ropey too.
killer guinea pigs
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by killer guinea pigs »

Didnt care for 11 shorts in one film....it was never going to work.

the christmas horror story was very polished and slick, it made everyone jump at one point and was much more entertaining.
Scrofulous Peasant
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Scrofulous Peasant »

Christmas Horror Story worked far better as a portmanteau horror film. Better script, sharper, funnier and fewer stories made it feel more coherent.

I liked a couple of the stories in TOH but it just felt like one huge, messy, overblown vanity project. 4 / 10
Tyrannosaurus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Tyrannosaurus »

There were some weird things going on here. The story with killer pumpkins was interesting. However, there were a lot of similar stories with kids being literal or figurative monsters. The comedic parts were effective.