The Vatican Tapes

Discussion on the 2015 Halloween Event
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

The Vatican Tapes

Post by jonbly »

7/10 - slow start, rubbish title. Just call it "Yet Another Exorcism" and have done with it. Got into its stride later on, and a reasonably original ending.

Shame about the half-hour of random rambling by Reverend Tedious beforehand, clearly meant to plug his blog. Like anyone would want more of that...

Actually, that's not fair. He's not really sure that God exists, so it's really just Mister Tedious.
Last edited by jonbly on Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danthsmith
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: The Vatican Tapes

Post by danthsmith »

I nodded off so did the two people either side of me. This was bollocks. The usual loud noises to sub for atmosphere, character or tension followed by a textbook shouty exorcism with by numbers, spewing, body going twisty and climbing the walls
Oswald Cobblepot
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Oswald Cobblepot »

Considering this was directed by Mark Neveldine I was expecting it to be fast edit shaky cam bullshit, so I was actually pleasantly surprised as my expectations were very low.

Fairly by the numbers exorcism stuff though, albeit with a slightly unusual ending. For once Dougray Scott wasn't totally wooden.

Apparently Neveldine's wife Alison (Drag me to Hell) Lohmann was one of the inmates at the sanatorium but I didn't spot her.
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

I was a bit meh with this. It was a pain by numbers possession movie for me but the end was good enough to want to know more. I guess its hard to take this sort of movie and do it differently, I'd have liked it to go on a bit further than it did to see how the next stage was handled
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

This was my least favourite film of the day. An awful rip-off of The Exorcist with acting and plotting so bad it really annoyed me. Most of it was boring until the exorcism in the last 15 minutes and then the Antichrist plot-twist at the end was no surprise because the voiceover at the beginning gives it away.

Regarding the talk from Reverend Laws at the beginning: I like the idea of having an expert give a talk related to the film, but this one didn't have much content and went on for far too long. I was hoping for juicy secrets about exorcisms, but instead it was just waffle.