Halloween All-Dayer

Discussion on the 2015 Halloween Event
danthsmith
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Halloween All-Dayer

Post by danthsmith »

This was a great idea for those of us who cant switch our body clocks and therefore have never done Halloween before (12 years at the main event though) I was nicely low key and great to be back at the PC. Please do it again

The programme was distinctly 2nd rate but I still enjoyed the day and £45 was great value
Oswald Cobblepot
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Halloween All-Dayer

Post by Oswald Cobblepot »

Enjoyed the day, but I had to skip ISOYG3 otherwise I would have missed my last train home. If it had been an all-nighter I wouldn't have had this issue, although I may have fallen asleep !

I think making it a day event meant we got a larger number of guests, but there really wasn't enough time to get anything decent to eat between the films. We were supposed to have 45 minutes before Momentum, but by the time Unspoken and the short film had finished there was only half an hour left.
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

It was a good event as an all-dayer and manageable in terms of not falling asleep. I managed to pop out for pret for lunch and then fish and chips across the road later on. I stocked up on some snacks from tesco round the corner earlier in the day which helped too.

I think it started late and also the into by the priest went on a bit which probably ate into the time we had during breaks

Good to see some many frightfesters again!
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Although I'm more than capable of falling asleep during the daytime - and indeed did so during two of the films - it certainly felt quite different from the all-nighters. It made a change not to spend the early hours in a semi-hallucinatory state before staggering out into an early-morning world closely resembling the start of 28 Days Later.

Not the greatest selection of films this year, I'd have to say, but no utter stinkers in the vein of The Watermen.....

Better than an all-nighter? I don't know, but I still enjoyed the day.
Critter Egg
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Critter Egg »

I thought it was a bit of a let down this year to be honest. I know the all night thing is hard going and everyone comes out bleary eyed the next morning, but it makes the Halloween event something special, something different to August. It also means I don't have to pay for hotel; this year my man and I had to fork out another £150 for accommodation as despite the FF organisers insisting the films would finish in times for people to catch the their last train home they clearly hadn't actually thought this through. Our last train home would have been at 11:45pm. If the Halloween event is going to stay as a day event in future it would be nice if it could start earlier (say about 10am) and finish by 11pm, so people could really get their last train home.

The lake of a decent length break was frustrating and it would have been good to have the times actually publicised somewhere.

Whilst I am having a rant, I also dislike the PCC for long events like this. The heat makes it too easy to fall asleep, and getting into and out of the rows when it's packed is horrible, let alone up the staircase. I preferred the all nighters at Vue, where there was room to have a walk round the cinema building between films and a decent space to sit in the bar area.

The films themselves were also not great this year. I have loved some of the previous Halloween event films - Discopath and Rare Exports in particular, and the first Paranormal Activity at midnight in the ICA - but this year nothing stood out. Disappointing, especially Belly of the Bulldog which I was hoping would be creepy from the poster.
"What's that you've got on your feet there?""Good Guy PJ Sneakers!"
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

I actually preferred it being an all dayer; as much fun as the concept of an all-nighter is, when you're missing most of the films because you're falling asleep, it kinda defeats the purpose. Plus at least you feel vaguely alive on Sunday too.

Also I don't experience any problem with heat in the PCC, in fact it felt genuinely cold at times and I had to put my coat on.

As for the films, well we've come to expect that the line up for the Halloween event won't be that great, and it was the usual mix of left overs from the main event and forgettable direct to DVD stuff. Lazer Team and Momentum were both great fun and enjoyable, and Belly Of The Bulldog was okay, but The Vatican Tapes and The Unspoken were dire and ISOYG3 was just as crap as I thought it'd be. Still a fun day though.
greenzombidog
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by greenzombidog »

I wasn't too keen on this being an all day event. I still fell asleep during two of the films but I think thats because they were crap and not because I was tired and those PCC seats are too easy to fall asleep in. The lack of a decent length break was annoying aswell, at least when it was an allnighter I could go for an actual meal before the event. The finish time was too late for me to get my last train home. I might not bother next time if it sticks to this format but thats okay, theres plenty of new people every year and there are other festivals around the country so nobody loses out :)
In the dark womb we ate hot slime
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

I quite liked the all-dayer format, as it made it less likely to fall asleep (though I still found myself dropping off during dull stretches of Vatican Tapes and Momentum).

I also prefer the Vue to the Prince Charles: the Vue's raked floor means I don't have to lie back in my seat, and it has better air conditioning (at least, when it's working) and a convenient bar area.

The timings are a bit inconvenient at the moment. It would work better if the first film was at 10:00. The short films, Q&As and introductions pushed things back and squeezed the time in-between films. There should also be a better notification method of the starting time of the next film - maybe a sign at the entrance that the time of the next film can be written on.