Beyond the Gates

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
hemi777
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Beyond the Gates

Post by hemi777 »

Wonderful movie and a great entertainment...I rate this as the best movie of the festival so far(Jumanji meets evil :p )..All the audience were immersed in the movie by cheering,shouting and laughing throughout and given a huge applause after the movie finish :) ..A wonderful concept which really takes us back to 80's starting from opening credits to end of the movie..All actors have done a great justice to their characters..Hat's off to the director Jackson Stewart to pull off something a movie like this..9/10..
wakko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Beyond the Gates

Post by wakko »

Really gutted I missed this as I was still on holiday travel. I definitely buy into the whole 80s nostalgia horror that doesnt try too hard. According to one of the actors film is getting released in the US in December and February in UK.
adeyboy99
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by adeyboy99 »

I really enjoyed the retro feel to it and knew it wasn't going to take itself too seriously. Seemed to be a lot crammed into the last 20 minutes or so after a relatively slow build.
*SPOILER ALERT*
I couldn't help but think that after all that the characters had gone through, all that torture of killing their friends etc to save their Dad, that died anyway, seemed a bit pointless, but it was a decent original film to end our Saturday night on.
Bigcat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Bigcat »

Was the last film of my two days at Frightfest this year and a good one to end on.
Fun, retro, good characters with creepy turns from Barbara C and the curiosity store owner in supporting roles.
Deliberatly derivative but with enough originality to make it interesting.
Lunny68
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Lunny68 »

It was great fun, made even more amusing by a 50 something guy sitting next to me,who almond st jumped out of his seat numerous times, and squirmed, protested and hid behind his fingers at any of the gore!

It was the last film I saw at the festival this year, and was ideal for my closing night.
Oswald Cobblepot
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Oswald Cobblepot »

Really enjoyed this one. I knew an 80s style The Gate/Re-Animator film would be right up my street, and it didn't disappoint.

Great performances across the board, but especially Barbara Crampton who made me chuckle every time she was on screen, and Jesse Merlin who was hilarious.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

A fun throwback to the 1980s and early 1990s, with various references to crowd favourite films from that era.

I loved the interactive board game and the practical effects too.

My only minor quibble was that we only saw a very limited amount of what was beyond the gate, but I guess that was due to budget constraints - maybe we'll see more if there is a sequel?

8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
killer guinea pigs
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by killer guinea pigs »

3/10 sorry guys but i found this film slow paced and really very silly.

not much talent on show here and weak story and very low budget. for me a film like broken is how to make a film on a low budget.

i was at school in the 80.s and watched the horror films when they came out and trust me there werent many like this....maybe the video dead!
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

I enjoyed its funky 80s aesthetic (which is going to start to become a horror trope in itself if filmmakers don't start looking for another hook), and it had some great gore gags, but I couldn't help thinking it seemed stretched out somewhat. I mean, they were playing this evil Jumanji game to save their father's soul, yet they'd play a move and go to bed for the night. Then come back the next day, play another move and bugger off out somewhere. They could've got to Pops a whole lot quicker if they'd just got some snacks in a played through.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

It was an ok 80s tribute, had some fun dialogue and the sight of that video store gave me a big hit of nostalgia as I remembered a similarly disorganised vhs rental place that I used to frequent (mostly searching for Jackie Chan films as I recall). Unfortunately it didn't keep up its early momentum and where I'd hoped to love it, I just kind of liked it. Fair play to one of the guys though, who was batting well above average romantically speaking.