Films for Halloween All-dayer?

Discussion on Frightfest's 2016 Halloween Event
dundermifflin
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Films for Halloween All-dayer?

Post by dundermifflin »

Anything you are hoping for? Couldn't see a thread or new sub-section for it so thought I'd start one.

Wouldn't mind Takeshi Miike's AS THE GODS WILL or Kiyoshi Kurosawa's CREEPY.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Re: Films for Halloween All-dayer?

Post by DJBenz »

Nice reminder for me to create a Halloween 2016 sub-forum. Thanks! :)
greenzombidog
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by greenzombidog »

I hope this year as it is the Halloween event they show some actual horrors. Last year was a bit poor. Lazer team although okay was not very halloweeny, and lets not mention momentum and that boring tank film.

I think they might have the new Black Fawn production 'Bed of death'. Frightfest has had nearly all the films they've produced thus far.

Maybe "Boar" the new one by Chris sun who made Charlies farm.

As it's all dayer though I probably can't make it anyway :(
In the dark womb we ate hot slime
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

dundermifflin wrote:Anything you are hoping for? Couldn't see a thread or new sub-section for it so thought I'd start one.

Creepy is on at the London Film Festival so I don't think it will play again.

Ones that could play:
I AM A HERO - Japanese zombie film about a manga artist blasting zombies with a shotgun. Won the grand prize at Brussels International Fantastic Film Festival.
NIGHTWORLD - Another from Patricio Valladares, about a security guard investigating a malevolent force in the basement. Robert Englund plays what is presumably the villain the security guard comes up against.
DETOUR - Dark noir. The Frightfest guys loved it, and director Chris Smith has had several films at Frightfest before.
HERETIKS - Paul Hyett's Jacobean horror about woman taken to repent in a sinister monastery. They showed a clip of this at Glasgow Frightfest just like they did with HOWL last year, so it has a good chance of turning up.
PATIENT ZERO - Matt Smith and Natalie Dormer journey through a zombie apocalypse.
MUSE - Supernatural thriller from Frightfest regular Jaume Balaguero.
47 METERS DOWN - Director Johannes Roberts attended Glasgow Frightfest with his film "The Other Side of the Door"
AMOK - If there's a need for a film that's tangentially horror, this ultra-violent Macedonian crime thriller got a positive response from Alan at Cannes.
COLOSSAL - Nacho Vigalondo's giant monster film starring Anne Hathaway
THE BLACK COAT'S DAUGHTER - Previously titled "FEBRUARY", girls get possessed at a boarding school
LEATHERFACE - Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury's addition to the TCM franchise
P.O.V - Shauna MacDonald (THE DESCENT, HOWL) is a quadriplegic convinced that an evil presence inside her hospital room is trying to kill her.
THE DARK TAPES - Anthology of supernatural found footage films
JACK GOES HOME - A man returns to his childhood home and uncovers secrets
SCARE CAMPAIGN - A prank TV show goes too far
Ericka M. Hankins
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Ericka M. Hankins »

dundermifflin wrote:Anything you are hoping for? Couldn't see a thread or new sub-section for it so thought I'd start one.

Great idea! 8)
I'm not afraid of failing, which is why I do it all the time!
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

Would any of the films at the London Film Festival be repeated?

Raw seems to be getting solid reviews
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

STun wrote:Would any of the films at the London Film Festival be repeated?

Raw seems to be getting solid reviews
There hasn't been any crossover in the past as far as I'm aware. Got my ticket for Raw at LFF - it's one of the ones I'm looking forward to most, along with The Void.
dundermifflin
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by dundermifflin »

Apart from RUPTURE, the rest of the lineup sounds low key and underwhelming.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

The Halloween event is always the left-overs after all the other festivals have come and gone, but it looks like a big improvement on last year, with two high-profile films from good directors with Headshot and Rupture.

Don't Hang Up is the first feature from the pair who directed the well-made Red Balloon short that played at Frightfest some years back so I'm looking forward to that too. I'm hoping that Bed of the Dead and Fear Inc can deliver enough gore and laughs respectively to make them entertaining. Cold Moon has an impressive source novel but the director's filmography worries me.
greenzombidog
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by greenzombidog »

Well at least it's more horror for the Halloween event. A definite improvement on last year film wise. But I don't like the prince charles as a venue for a multi film event the seats are to easy to fall asleep in. Plus as someone who lives outside of London the allday event means I either miss the last film or pay for a hotel. But if the alldayer is more popular than the allnighter I understand the change. I hope everyone has a good time and I look forward to reading everyones views on the movies.
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

Rupture and Don't Hang Up sound quite promising from the synopses. Bed of the Dead sounds stupid. Head Shot sounds like a darker version of Bourne. The other two don't sound terrible, but don't particularly excite me either. All in all, it's a better looking line up than last year, which I skipped in favour of going round a mate's place and screening our own all-dayer on his projector! I might come back to the fold this year though I reckon. No cruddy sequels or obvious howlers.

Did anyone else prefer the all-nighter format? Just felt a bit more special to me, more of an event and maybe I'm a masochist, but I quite enjoyed the endurance test aspect - the inevitable energy drinks, battle against sleep and then emerging into the dawn light of Leicester Square feeling like you'd gone through something! Agree that PCC isn't the best venue either - foyer's too small and the way the seats are on such a tilt makes it quite a hassle getting out and moving along the row. Prefer Vue, or better yet, Picturehouse Central; screen 1 has a big auditorium and the most comfortable seats in town!
Last edited by WraithApe on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
danthsmith
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by danthsmith »

Headshot looks awesome but shame its last as I will struggle to stay awake however violent it is
Juliebuckby
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Juliebuckby »

After watching the trailers the movies all look quite good. Although the pcc isn't the best for this kind of event we would have come down. Unfortunately we would have to miss the last 2 movies in order to get the train home as we live outside London. Having it as a all day event rather than an all night takes some of the magic away. Really hoping they change it back in years to come.
ian
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by ian »

PCC are doing 2 of their own horror all nighters so maybe they would rather people doing a special Halloween outing picked one of their efforts instead of opting for the frightfest one...

https://princecharlescinema.com/PrinceC ... hatsOn?s=4
greenzombidog
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by greenzombidog »

I thought I was the only one who missed the allnighter. It is a shame they changed the format. Maybe one day they'll go back. It was the one thing that set it apart from their other Frightfest events.