Discovery screen 'nepotism'.

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
Vice
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Discovery screen 'nepotism'.

Post by Vice »

Forgive me for being too intrusive, but it feels like a little 'nepotism' is creeping into Frightfest. It seems almost every year we see the same faces coming back for a consecutive or even three years in a row.

I always thought the 'Discovery' screens were supposed to be exactly that - the opportunity to discover new talent, and for genre fans to find something new, and not films by people that have previously had a connection to Frightfest or who are otherwise well known in the industry e.g. famous actors and directors/producers.

It's the usual names associated with the festival in some way - Barbara Crampton, The Vicious Brothers, Mary Lankford Poiley, Patricio Valadares, Darren Lynn Bousman and a few others that are here again this year that have been associated with films in previous years.

Obviously, it's completely acceptable in the main screens - where we expect to see the bigger films, with more experienced cast and crew etc - but I feel that the films being picked for 'Discovery' are more and more featuring those either associated with Frightfest or that have had some kind of success already either in TV or film.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Discovery screen 'nepotism'.

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Given how many films are on the Discovery screen I don't mind if a few people are allowed to return. I always took Discovery to mean "Discover a film that is more obscure and unusual than the Main screen would show and may or may not be good", rather than "Discover new talent", though there are a lot of films from first-time directors there too. To be honest, there's going to be a greater chance of getting a good film from established and prolific filmmakers than people who've never hit it big or never made anything before, and the films from established names are the ones that Frightfesters want to see - I've noticed horror fans can get very attached to filmmakers and stars and will seek out everything they do whatever the quality.

To some degree this happens at every festival, even the Cannes competition is known for repeatedly programming films from a select few auteurs even if it's far from their best work.
valido
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by valido »

Same. I always took it as a generic "try a more risky proposition" rather than "discover a new talent" at all costs.
Sue77
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Sue77 »

Last year, Ian ran a First Blood day which showed films from new and upcoming directors. Some of the films shown were terrific and, after speaking with Ian, I understood that the hope/intention was to have a similar day this year. Problem, is I'm not at all certain which (if any) of the days is showing the First Blood films.

I would like to know if there is a First Blood day as, going by last year's films, it's well worth booking the seats.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Sue77 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:00 pm Last year, Ian ran a First Blood day which showed films from new and upcoming directors. Some of the films shown were terrific and, after speaking with Ian, I understood that the hope/intention was to have a similar day this year. Problem, is I'm not at all certain which (if any) of the days is showing the First Blood films.

I would like to know if there is a First Blood day as, going by last year's films, it's well worth booking the seats.
Saturday 26th seems to be the First Blood day, as MOUNTAIN FEVER, BOOTS ON THE GROUND, WHERE THE SKIN LIES, EAT LOCALS and CANARIES on the Prince Charles screen all appear to be from first-time directors, as does 3RD NIGHT on the Cineworld DIscovery Screen.
Sue77
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Sue77 »

That's good news Chris - thank you!
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

Definitely the case with the inception of the DISCOVERY Screen[s] back in 2009 were highlighting the more esoteric, lower budget and left of field entries from an increasingly busy market, giving films a chance to play a large and prestigious film festival that may otherwise not have a platform.

Now, while it could be perceived as 'nepotism' in some cases- returning directors, producers or attached talent - what we have to remember is that that same critique could be levelled at the entire filmmaking community, especially in the horror genre and especially in the UK. But rather than looking at it as nepotism, we should promote it and see it as a community, a stronghold, and passionate group of people that we should celebrate not being a one-film-wonder and making progresses within the cinematic world.

Moreover, of any years in recent memory, the 2017 lineup is staggeringly varied and packed to the brim with fresh talent. From passing glance, only FANGED UP, FASHIONISTA & NIGHTWORLD see FrightFest alumni returning to the festival, and all represent the point I made prior about taking steps up in terms of getting bigger projects made.
Beyond the 'First Blood' strand already mentioned here, almost all of the directors on the discovery screen are here at FrightFest for the first time. And who knows, among them may be the next Adam Green or Soska Sisters.

Long live the new flesh
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

I don't care so long as the films are good
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

I think its a mix really. The horror world is a small one really and throughout frighfest we see familiar faces who get the chance to showcase what they do. Ben Wheatley is a good example of this and if he were to return now it would be huge. Like @scoutthehorizon says above there are only a few returning frightfest alumni involved. With discovery screens being what they are, you do need some 'known' names otherwise some people aren't conformable going in completely cold to film. Last year I took a huge punt on Cruel Summer and it worked an this was part of the First Blood series (hence the name..first time movie makers being given a chance)

Discovery screen is a great way to find new stuff and in some cases one you may not see for a while
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

Wonderfully put Mal! And CRUEL SUMMER is a great example of a film to go in blind on. What a brutal one.
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

scoutthehorizon wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:00 am Wonderfully put Mal! And CRUEL SUMMER is a great example of a film to go in blind on. What a brutal one.
Cheers i really had no idea what i was in store for...ended up needing a drink after it and this was first up!

Go in blind on a few and take a chance on some....its what the festival does best
leytonrocks
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by leytonrocks »

Going in blind is a great test of anyone's film, let alone 1st time film makers... The less I know the more the filmmaker gets to wow me when it's good. Obviously the opposite is true, but all films can't be good or it'd be samey forever