Tragedy Girls

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Tragedy Girls

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - Plural! Winner of the 'Least Plausible Kill' Award for impaling the Mayor halfway down a 20ft flagpole... without anyone noticing... while she's leading a march. That's some stealth skills that Leslie Vernon would be proud of...
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: Tragedy Girls

Post by Alex J »

Hyped before the fest and before the film and it certainly delivered. I caught myself with a big cheesy grin on my face seveal times during the film and I had plenty of fun. A couple of the jokes either didn't hit the mark or were lost in translation, but now I'm being picky!

The interplay between the two leads was terrific and it was a fantastic way to end Frightfest 2017!

9 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

Not going to rate this one as it would reflect more on how much I hated every second of its gratingly millenial, hashtagging duration rather than the actual quality of the film-making. I didn't so much as crack a smile. Not the worst film of the festival, but certainly my worst experience.
Last edited by WraithApe on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I liked this a lot and it was a good choice for the closing film. Well directed, lots of witty lines and very good performances from the two lead actresses.

However.... it did seem to fizzle out a bit in the last half hour. It needed "something" to just take it up a notch. They're obviously aiming for a mainstream audience, and nothing wrong with that really - it's not particularly gory and not sexy at all (I wonder if that was a conscious decision?) - but there needed to be some kind of big setpiece ending, or perhaps just some stronger antagonists or supporting characters (the serial killer guy was really underused).

In the intro reference was made to Heathers and Clueless, but I kept thinking of All Cheerleaders Die, which did a similar kind of thing... but did it better.

I should stop moaning. I did like it. Hope it's a success.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

WraithApe wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:31 pm Not going to rate this one as it would reflect more on how much I hated every second of its gratingly millenial, hashtagging duration rather than the actual quality of the film-making. I didn't so much as crack a smile. Not the worst film of the festival, but certainly my worst experience.
Don't ever watch Detention
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Enjoyed this as a last film, was worried it would grate but it turned out to be entertaining and not too overly long.

Leads were fine as were the minor characters.

7/10
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

TheDukeAbides wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:52 pm
WraithApe wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:31 pm Not going to rate this one as it would reflect more on how much I hated every second of its gratingly millenial, hashtagging duration rather than the actual quality of the film-making. I didn't so much as crack a smile. Not the worst film of the festival, but certainly my worst experience.
Don't ever watch Detention
Too late for that I'm afraid, and yes, I detested that too. I think you have me pegged :D
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

I really enjoyed this...some of the dialogue was cringey (jelly) but I guess its made for the current generation too. Top film however and took me back to a teenager watching Heathers. Good work
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

I enjoyed MacIntyre's still unreleased Patchwork at Glasgow, but this wasn't as good. It's a film that follows the villains so there's a difficult balance between making them likeable enough and yet evil enough that you still care about the victims and get the resulting tension between wanting them to succeed and wanting them to be stopped. Two films earlier I thought Better Watch Out got this balance perfect, but here things feel far too slanted towards the girls. Firstly, the tragedy girls have too easy a time of things: it seems like they can do anything the plot requires and they seem to have endless luck that means they're never in danger of being killed or caught. Secondly, the characters ranged up against them are all idiots and generally obnoxious but instead of that making all the sympathies transfer onto the girls, it just makes it hard to care about anybody because the script is obviously so in love with its main characters.

Despite this, the film's great strength is it is frequently funny, especially at the beginning when the girls have not yet worn out their welcome, and it does work to a degree as a black comedy satire of social media obsession with a mean streak running through it. The direction is also strong, with colourful cinematography and impressive pacing. I feel like MacIntyre will go on to better things than this.
Bedelia
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Bedelia »

I don't know what you folks are complaining about. This was blast to watch. I have to admit that I watched 2.5 seasons of Hannibal so my threshold for the whole things-are-too-easy-for -the-killer and all-the-good-guys-are-idiots is really high.

The only thing I didn't like was the teacher lecturing about the dark side of social media. C'mon this is made for adults. We do not need to be lectured.

I hope Hollywood takes a lesson from this and gives us more fight scenes in the gym. Why aren't there more fight scenes in the gym? It's such a no brainier. That's where you have all this heavy, dangerous equipment. That's just perfect. James Bond is always fighting those rich people. Surely, they can afford private gyms. You don't even need to contrive the plot to explain why there only two people there.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Bedelia wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:19 pm I don't know what you folks are complaining about. This was blast to watch. I have to admit that I watched 2.5 seasons of Hannibal so my threshold for the whole things-are-too-easy-for -the-killer and all-the-good-guys-are-idiots is really high.
There's no comparison. Hannibal was supposed to be genius and the series always took care to demonstrate his care and planning with his plastic suit and careful planting of false evidence. He never got away with a crime because somebody walked in on him but didn't notice him chopping somebody up. He never blatantly left fingerprints and evidence all over the place and got away because nobody did any forensics. I don't think these things ruin the film, but it does feel sloppy, like the girls get away with things because the script says so.
Bedelia
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Bedelia »

He never got away with a crime because somebody walked in on him but didn't notice him chopping somebody up.
That was really funny. It huge laugh from the audience and I m sure it was the filmmakers intention.
My memories of Hannibal are hazy. I stopped watching two years ago when it ended. I remember Will not having a fence despite living with 20 dogs in a place where there are about 20 serial killers a year, I remember Alana getting a gun but not checking the bullets regularly, I remember the solution to everything going like this:

-You're a serial killer
-No, I'm not.
-You're a serial killer.
-No, I'm not.
-Ok, you're not
-Fine, I'm a serial killer. I admit. Arrest me.
PolisKanin
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by PolisKanin »

Very unique and stylish. Lead actresses fit their roles very well. Excellent take on social media obsessed teens. Great way to close the festival. 7/10
Excited to watch it again. Does anyone know when the general UK release will be?
Bedelia
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Bedelia »

TG got a real trailer. On one hand: yeach, the movie is going mainstream.

On the other hand: they've spoiled all the best jokes. If you haven't seen it but you're planning to, don't watch the trailer.
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

Bedelia wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:19 pm C'mon this is made for adults.

I really, really, really don't think it was you know.
the house shot her !!!