Films For Glasgow 2017

All the news and discussion for Frightfest Glasgow on 24th -25th February 2017
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Films For Glasgow 2017

Post by scoutthehorizon »

So here's a real interesting one, and maybe a tad premature, but what films do you want / expect to see at Glasgow FrightFest 2017?

Unlike last year where there was a plethora of larger genre titles that had done festival rounds but not made it to the UK, this year's big name crop is a hell of a lot less. With much UK premieres being mopped up by LIFF and regional genre festivals (Celluloid Screams, Grimmfest etc), I can't think of a full 11 films I'd expect to see...

That being said, here's a few:

THE BELKO EXPERIMENT (Greg McClean, in a script from James Gunn) Played TIFF, slayed TIFF, no UK showings yet.

THE BAD BATCH (Ana Lily Armipour)

COLOSSAL (festival fave Nacho Vigalondo)

PHANTASM RAVAGER (obvs?)

THE MONSTER (Bryan Bertino)

RAW (yes it's played everywhere, but it's so damn good, it needs to be played again)

IN A VALLEY OF VIOLENCE (Ti West)

ANOTHER WOLFCOP (Lowell Dean)
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
LaidToRest
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Films For Glasgow 2017

Post by LaidToRest »

New film about Art the clown spinoff Terrifier

https://youtu.be/5xKsl7Msscs

The Barn https://vimeo.com/120311014

https://vimeo.com/120311014

Frankenstein Created Bikers https://vimeo.com/155565105
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Four that I think have the biggest chance:

HERETIKS - Paul Hyett's Jacobean horror about woman taken to repent in a sinister monastery. They showed a clip of this at Glasgow Frightfest last year.
SKYSHARKS - Zombies on flying sharks.
DETOUR - Dark noir from Chris Smith. The Frightfest guys loved it, and Chris Smith has had several films at Frightfest before.
47 METERS DOWN aka IN THE DEEP - From Johannes Roberts who came to last year's Glasgow Frightfest with his film "The Other Side of the Door"

Others that could reasonably make an appearance:
AMOK - a bloody Macedonian film described in Frightfest postcards as "a mix of FIGHT CLUB and SCUM"
LEATHERFACE - Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury's addition to the TCM franchise
MUSE - Supernatural thriller from Frightfest regular Jaume Balaguero.
MOHAWK - Ted Geoghegan directs a historical horror about Native Americans battling American Soldiers.
PATIENT ZERO - Matt Smith is a man who can communicate with zombies. He goes on a quest with Natalie Dormer to discover a cure. I'm calling it "The Hipster with all the Gifts".
I AM A HERO - Japanese zombie action
DEMON HOLE - "a horror comedy about a fracking crew drilling on an ancient Native American burial ground"
THE STAKELANDER - The sequel to STAKE LAND
TERROR 5 - Anthology of urban legends Screened in the Blood Window and invited to the Fantaspoa Fantastic Festival.
THE DARK TAPES - Anthology of supernatural found footage films
IT CAME FROM THE DESERT - Giant mutant ants. Some sort of semi-remake of Them?
JACK GOES HOME - A man returns to his childhood home and uncovers secrets. Just released in the US to bad reviews.
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

47 METRES DOWN is genuinely fantastic and has some sensational scares in it. Would be a fun screening. Some more possibilities:

WITHIN / Crawlspace from Phil Claydon (Lesbian Vampire Killers & Alone FrightFest alum)

CUT LITTLE BUGGERS “Gremlins meets Hot Fuzz set in the English countryside.”

SAFE NEIGHBOURHOOD Seasonal home invasion thriller picking up lots of attention from US festivals.

THERAPY new found footage thriller from 16(!!) year old and 2015 FrightFest alum Nathan Ambrosioni

INCARNATE the latest big Blumhouse offering

THE LIMEHOUSE GOLEM had a very good reception at TIFF and is the latest from FrightFest 2013 alum Juan Carlos Medina

WOLVES AT THE DOOR latest from the guy that brought us Annabelle, inspired by the Manson murders. Looks to be getting wide release

A CURE FOR WELLNESS Big gala film that I can imagine may end up at GFF proper

SWEET SWEET LONELY GIRL low key psychosexual 80s homage that played well at Fantastic Fest

FASHIONISTA thriller from Simon Rumley

GET OUT *that* trailer everyone went mad for

DON'T KNOCK TWICE guys liked this at Cannes I believe

Could we maybe see Don Coscarelli over with both PHANTASM 4K Remaster & RAVAGER?

And the GFF could even accommodate Fabio doing THE BEYOND: THE COMPOSERS CUT quite lovely

And despite ALL these films, I can guarantee we've probably only guessed barely half of the lineup.
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

scoutthehorizon wrote:THERAPY new found footage thriller from 16(!!) year old and 2015 FrightFest alum Nathan Ambrosioni
Unlikely, IMO, as it's released on Shudder this month. And he's 17. :p
soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com »

Looking forward to Glasgow, would love the new Dick Maas film, Prey to be premiered there. Killer Lion in Amsterdam. Trailer looks like great, and Frightfest premiered his last film "Saint".
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

KARMA / ARBAT / ARPATTI - A Buddhist-themed horror about a monk who falls in love with a village girl while dark secrets of the temple begin to manifest. It was banned in Thailand due to shocking scenes of a monk kissing a girl and touching a Buddha's head, however it got unbanned after three minutes were chopped out of it and it's now Thailand's submission for the Best Foreign Film Oscar.
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

soberdave72@hotmail.com wrote:Looking forward to Glasgow, would love the new Dick Maas film, Prey to be premiered there. Killer Lion in Amsterdam. Trailer looks like great, and Frightfest premiered his last film "Saint".
That would be great, especially if Dick Maas would be there. Being Dutch I grew up with his movies and missed out in having a chat with him when Saint screened due to Wodka.

Looking forward to this no matter the movies, flights and hotels are already booked.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

The dates for Glasgow FrightFest are 24th and 25th February 2017. There will also be two films from 9 pm on the 23rd. The full 2017 line-up of films and guests will be released at 2 pm on Friday 13th January. Passes at £70 will be available from noon on Monday 16th with single tickets at £10 up for grabs from 23rd January. Over the three days, we have 14 films lined up.
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

Will the 2 films on thursday be like last year where we have to buy the tickets separate to the festival passes?

Thanks
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

Yes, you will need separate tickets.
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

Would love to see these on the list

Safe Neighbourhood - Xmas home invasion with a twist

Cure For Wellness - Gore Verbinski's new one

Belko Experiment - battle royale in an American workplace

Colossal - Nacho

Mindhorn - serial killer comedy from Julian Barrett
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

It's been fascinating reading the various lists of films expected to play at FrightFest Glasgow. It's not long now till we will find out who was near the mark and who wasn't.

All 13 films selected will be revealed at 2 pm on Friday 13th January and passes will be on sale from the following Monday at noon. Single tickets will be available later in the month.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

I think this years line up looks truly superb and I'm buzzing about going. Last year was a bit hmm for me but this looks stellar.

Before I do a FF event I usually read up on each film and do a list of Yes, Indifferent or No to each film and see how many of each I rate. This year there's 0 No's, 2 Indifferent and Yes to the rest.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

First of all thank you to everyone who has already acquired weekend passes for this year’s stellar event at the Glasgow Film Festival. We adore being there, we love having you there with us too and if the past years are anything to go by we are in for another fantastic occasion full of fear, fun and wonderful Scottish hospitality.

But due to circumstances beyond our control we have had to cancel the screening of PATIENT ZERO. The simple reason is that Sony Pictures have moved the release date until much later in the year and such an early premiere no longer fits into their publicity plans.

Never mind, these thing happen and we are delighted to report that our exciting replacement attraction is the much lauded French movie RAW announcing the no-hold-barred return of extreme French horror cinema and debut director Julia Ducournau as a major genre talent to watch. We know many of you have been longing to see this critically acclaimed cannibal delight since it was launced at Cannes 2016.