Fright Fest after parties Friday/Saturday (eg phoenix club), etc?

The place to discuss FrightFest 2018 - Dates this year are 23 - 27th August.
Thedarklantern
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Fright Fest after parties Friday/Saturday (eg phoenix club), etc?

Post by Thedarklantern »

Hi,

IIRC last year there was an FF after party held at the Phoenix Artists' Club just off Charing Cross Rd. I didn't get to go there last year and was in the area last night (Wednesday 25th July '18), and stopped outside there briefly and enquired about an after party this year. The door staff said that it will be open to Fright Fest pass holders, I just want to clarify how it will work this year, if I do not have an FF pass but simply a couple of tickets for individual movies how will access to the Phoenix Club work? Would I still have to pay full Phoenix club membership (door staff said it's £10 a month). Also, I see that the Phoenix Club is open until 230am, is there an official Fright Fest party there on both the Friday and Saturday, and are there any confirmed guests/people likely to appear? I'm asking more for a friend of mine whose first weekend Fright Fest it is (he has a day pass for the Friday and Saturday). For myself, I'm asking is it like a club night with music, etc, or is it more for industry people networking?

Furthermore, if there are any FF goers staying in London the weekend looking for somewhere to go in the night over the weekend, may I make some additional/alternative suggestions for bars and clubs that people may want to check out, based on my own Musical tastes (Goth, 80s, Metal, Rock)? There was a similar thread last year.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Re: Fright Fest after parties Friday/Saturday (eg phoenix club), etc?

Post by DJBenz »

Thedarklantern wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:09 am Hi,

IIRC last year there was an FF after party held at the Phoenix Artists' Club just off Charing Cross Rd. I didn't get to go there last year and was in the area last night (Wednesday 25th July '18), and stopped outside there briefly and enquired about an after party this year. The door staff said that it will be open to Fright Fest pass holders, I just want to clarify how it will work this year, if I do not have an FF pass but simply a couple of tickets for individual movies how will access to the Phoenix Club work? Would I still have to pay full Phoenix club membership (door staff said it's £10 a month). Also, I see that the Phoenix Club is open until 230am, is there an official Fright Fest party there on both the Friday and Saturday, and are there any confirmed guests/people likely to appear? I'm asking more for a friend of mine whose first weekend Fright Fest it is (he has a day pass for the Friday and Saturday). For myself, I'm asking is it like a club night with music, etc, or is it more for industry people networking?
The 'official' after party usually happens on the last night, the club is open until 2.30am but you can buy a ticket to see you through to 6.00am (and sometimes you get breakfast thrown in with that). That usually gets announced much closer to the date.

Unofficial after parties happen at The Phoenix every night after the last film. You can get in free all weekend with a Frightfest pass (day or weekend). Karaoke is Sunday. Without a pass, or something on a lanyard at least, you may not be allowed access although the door staff are fairly relaxed about letting the Frightfesters in, there's nothing to stop them checking every pass for validity.

Guests from the fest are frequently in there but it's entirely down to choice. I came back from the loo last year to find Barbara Crampton had joined the group I was with.

It's a cellar bar with a DJ who plays a wide variety. It gets very hot and very crowded, especially the final night.

Between films, Frighfesters gather at The Imperial just off Leicester Square. Turn right out of the cinema, then next right and it's about fifty yards up that street. Just a pub, so no entry restrictions.
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

To reinforce what DJBenz said the Phoenix is our after-hours watering hole. Any FrightFester with a festival pass or a day pass for the day issued is welcome to turn up and will be admitted free of charge from Thursday 23rd to Monday 27. Just be aware that there are capacity issues and you may have to wait a little while to get in if very busy. The busy nights tend to be the Thursday, opening night and then Saturday, Sunday for the karaoke and Monday for the closing night bash. You'll find Paul and I there most nights. Alan doesn't do late nights and Greg not so much these days either. Many of our guests will also be there mixing in with everybody else. Treate them with respect. If I hear of anyone taking the piss, you will get short shrift and may be ejected from the festival. Our guests are there to enjoy themselves as much as you so show some respect, please.

Ian
Brooker!
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Brooker! »

iomega wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:24 pm Treate them with respect. If I hear of anyone taking the piss, you will get short shrift and may be ejected from the festival. Our guests are there to enjoy themselves as much as you so show some respect, please.
Sounds like there's a story or two here?
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Brooker! wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:43 amSounds like there's a story or two here?
I remember some autograph hunters infiltrating the Phoenix in the past, taking the piss with a stack of things to get signed... but they were non-ticket holders. Which is maybe why we have to show a ticket these days.
Thedarklantern
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Thedarklantern »

Thanks for the detailed replies, maybe I'll just pay a tenner early in August for a month's Phoenix membership, if that will also allow entry during the whole Fright Fest weekend. (Besides which, it's practically across the road from the Cro Bar, a Metal bar I often go to.) But will also keep an eye on the boards for any announcement of party tickets for Saturday.

Cheers also for the information about The Imperial, the name sounds familiar, I've probably walked past it a few times when around Leicester Square going to Prince Charles about once a month. Friday and Saturday at Phoenix looks good to me, though it will probably be part of a long night clubbing, I still look forward to checking it out for an hour or two. Monday looks good as well, wasn't sure if anything was on then as although a bank holiday, it's a regular work day on Tuesday.

It's pretty weird to read about people sneaking into Phoenix and hassling people for autographs, I wonder why they didn't just hang around the cinema lobbies as that's where most people hang out. Kind of tactless to do that at a bar as well, when I would imagine everybody is just looking to unwind/socialize a bit.
Gorehound
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Gorehound »

My personal experience of the Phoenix after parties has always been good.
I always go in there expecting to talk to no one, shuffle around with a pint and go home. This never happens :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:

I'm always amazed at how approachable not only are the other frighfesters are, but also the film dudes in attendance.

Last August at the Phoenix getting to meet and talk with people on here as well as Ian, Graham Skipper, Graham Humphries, Emily Booth and Adam Green was a very additional bonus to this gorehound that ill never forget.

I cant for the life of me understand anybody hassling them as detailed in other posts but there's always some cock womble that cant contain themselves i suppose.

Anyways ill be looking forward to going there again this year Post that days films.

Come say hello if you want. You cant miss me, I've got the same haircut as Alan :geek:
"He`ll forgive them.He will forgive them and allow them into heaven, I cant live with that" :geek:
Twitter: zombieslew