Crawl

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - Solid creature feature.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Crawl

Post by mamawaldi »

It was fine but felt a bit of a safer film than the full blown craziness of Piranha. The dialogue was a bit twee and I couldn't quite buy the homicidal maniac behaviour of the alligators!
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

A fun romp of a creature feature. Generally predictable, but very well executed. A decent enough story for this type of movie and a good lead performance. Some of the hurricane scenes are very effective and most of the special effects are good, albeit with a few exceptions. 7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
valido
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by valido »

Felt more suspense thinking "that must have been a nightmare to shoot" than "uh I hope the 'gators don't get the heroes".
Oswald Cobblepot
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Oswald Cobblepot »

The plot and CGI gators were fairly ho hum.

If it had been directed by some studio hack this would have been totally generic and dull. But damn can Alexandre Aja direct, he definitely elevated it to another level and it looked amazing.

Made me want to go back and watch Switchblade Romance again.
danthsmith
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by danthsmith »

it didnt have the creepy sexism of piranha and was great fun if you ignored the cheesy dialogue
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I think there were one or two moments of peril too many. And how many times did we need reminding that yes, she could swim and yes, she could hold her breath under water?
Nevertheless, very well made and entertaining. Certainly better than what I was expecting, i.e. Bait (2012) with an alligator instead of a shark.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

It knew what it was.

Pepper came across as a budget Michael Biehn but that isn't a slight on the actor.

Bit too many stupid decisions for me and I don't know how many attacks by an alligator I could withstand and still be a champion level swimmer.

Enjoyable romp.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

I just have to remember next time I'm trapped by an alligator in my bathroom to get it into the shower then slide the glass door shut. An hour or two cooling off like that will teach the pesky reptile a sobering lesson before I slide the door (or what's left of it) back open and allow it to slink off with its tail between its legs. All silliness aside I quite enjoyed Crawl. In fact the opening three films on the Thursday kicked this years Frightfest off nicely for me. 7/10.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

This was a formulaic animal attack plot that has been elevated by Aja's direction, which kept up a strong pace and piled on the tension. It's not particularly memorable but watching it was entertaining. My favourite of the opening night.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

The Aylmer wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:48 pm I just have to remember next time I'm trapped by an alligator in my bathroom to get it into the shower then slide the glass door shut.
This was one of my biggest issues where I found it impossible to suspend my disbelief. The gator could smash its way through a set of thick wooden stairs in the basement, but couldn't thrash its way through a flimsy shower screen?

Still, it's a movie that thrives on ridiculousness so I suppose I should't be surprised. Still loads of fun to be had.