FrightFest August

Discussion for all the 2020 Frightfest Events
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: FrightFest August

Post by The Aylmer » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:00 pm

Right, so my weird dream I had back in April (see about 10 posts above this one) is about to come partially true in that there will be a digital Frightfest weekend in August which will make use of social distancing by taking place in my living room instead of the Empire Leicester Square? Same question as before then really... am I going to have to go online on 1st August (or whenever the passes go on sale) and have to sit there waiting in a queue for an hour to buy a weekend pass as all the seats including the sofa disappear before my eyes and I end up stuck out at the sides as per usual (in other words I'll be watching from the kitchen)?!?

TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:54 pm

Having cats I know all about watching any available seats in my own home disappearing before my own eyes.

Kuvor
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Kuvor » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:36 am

It's a pity that because of this stupid virus it was postponed till October 2020. But on the other side I have August dates free which means that I can visit my friend in his property in Germany here. Looking forward to it and festival in October is on my places to visit for sure.
I am new here

cineBAKA
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by cineBAKA » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:57 pm

I’m very curious about the all digital festival in August. But apprehensive about price and potential technical issues. When it can at times be an arduous struggle just to book a seat...

iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:21 pm

So, you are apprehensive about price. What would you be comfortable with?

This time round there is no mad rush to be online the second any passes go on sale because you're not trying to reserve a seat, so relax, wait a couple of hours or days and buy your pass then.

As for technical issues we are going to be using a rock-solid platform that already delivers content for several of the biggest film festivals in the world. You can watch on your phone, tablet, computer or smart tele. You will also be able to download an app and with just three clicks be watching films.

cineBAKA
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by cineBAKA » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:31 pm

It's largely subjective, and entirely dependant on the line up. But I guess an upper limit to me would be around £100, I don't think I'd want to go above that. But I guess it would depend on infrastructure too, and how everything worked. Would you literally get just the one chance to see something, or will there be a window where if anything does go wrong, you're able to catch up. I'm not with Virgin Media, but I can think of at least 3 occasions this year where it's seemingly been down for the whole of the UK. I'm genuinely just curious to know how it will all work. I'm curious if we'll be able to interact with the Q&As or if they'll be static streams. It'd be ace if there was a Twitch-style chat / stream interface for those. It's reassuring to hear you're partnering with an established platform.

Genuinely I'm just cautious and curious to hear more. There's a big concentration of content in a small amount of time, in a completely different environment (our Homes) that will likely have their own distractions. My work reset our holiday entitlement since returning from furlough, and I'd potentially miss out on some of Friday's content if it's a case it's only being live streamed and you need to be there at the exact moment to see it. But if there's some kind of windowed access to VODs it would make the decision easier for me. But I assume things like that will depend on rights, and infrastructure. I do understand very much your hands are tied in some regards, and appreciate you're going to do your best for us. I'm sorry if my post came across as negative, I'm just eager to know more.

horrorkid78
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by horrorkid78 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:34 pm

Hello, can anyone help me out, I normaly stay at high holborn halls during the august fright fest but as its now in october im not sure where to stay that is close to leister square, where do people stay during the halloween event?

DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:08 pm

horrorkid78 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:34 pm
Hello, can anyone help me out, I normaly stay at high holborn halls during the august fright fest but as its now in october im not sure where to stay that is close to leister square, where do people stay during the halloween event?
Hub by Premier Inn, just around the corner in Covent Garden, is showing as £275 for 4 nights over the FF October weekend if that's any good?

phillip 1964
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by phillip 1964 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:59 am

was wondering with social distancing probable still in place in October how this will effect the number off tickets for event

iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Seating Capacity

Post by iomega » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:09 pm

This is still a work in progress, but looking at around 50%, but things change on a weekly basis.

benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by benj » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:44 pm

Obviously I don't have clue one about the cost of putting on FF or its turnover so I apologise if this is a dumb question but... does a 50% drop in ticket sales for the October event still make this a worthwhile (i.e. profitable) endeavour? (You don't have a track record of being the kind of folks that would drastically raise ticket prices).

This prompts the question of if you're considering selling streaming passes (now that you've got the infrastructure to do so) to make up the difference? Of course this would also mean less upset from those not in the lucky 50% or those still undecided about visiting the cinema just yet.

MrsE
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by MrsE » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:20 pm

Well that was the quickest and easiest time I've had buying tickets ever! Looking forward to Frightfest 2020 and I have plenty of time to plan some quality snacks. :D

benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by benj » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:38 pm

Same here. A doddle- I was done by 11:59!

Now I’m wondering how late I can leave it before committing to which films I’ll watch...

HeadOnAStick
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by HeadOnAStick » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:39 am

Yes, purchasing was easy as pie. I'm not yet entirely clear on the technical details, but I imagine there will be guidance forthcoming as we get closer. I'm also curious about any 'official' social areas to meet up and chat about the films online. I've just been looking at the films and there are quite a lot that seem really fun.

Anyway, I mostly wanted to thank the team for putting on a FrightFest, even if it's a bit unusual. For the last couple of decades I've always known what I was going to be doing on the August bank holiday weekend and I'm very pleased that I still don't have to make any other plans :)