HOW TO WATCH

Discussion for all the 2020 Frightfest Events
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

HOW TO WATCH

Post by iomega » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:41 am

The FrightFest How to Watch guide is now ready and available to view.

frightfest2020.eventive.org/welcome

cookiemonster
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: HOW TO WATCH

Post by cookiemonster » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:14 pm

Hi Ian. Hope you are well. I have an amazon fire stick attached to my smart tv. In the faq's it says i can watch the festival this way and it was active from the 01/08 but it dosen't say how and i cant see what to do when i go to the firestick. Tried searching etc. Help. Thank you.

benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by benj » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:24 am

I’m in the same situation. The Eventive site itself doesn’t seem to mention Firestick app support, only Apple TV, Roku and Android TV (https://eventive.org/virtual). Whilst it looks like you can sideload Android TV apps onto a Firestick, I don’t imagine this is what Eventive had in mind.

Hopefully, FF’s FAQ is correct and the native app will be downloadable very soon- it just doesn’t seem to be available currently. Failing that, I guess we’ll need to run an HDMI cable from a PC 😕

cookiemonster
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by cookiemonster » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:08 am

Yes thanks a lot. The only thing with hdmi cable is the image on tv dosent always fill it in full but i will have to test it. Also i have apple tv app on my tv but cant watch it this way either ? I guess it means you have to have an apple tv rather than the app ? I was hoping this would be straight forward

Sue77
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Sue77 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:48 am

I was intending to watch the films on my computer and am not finding the information in the link clear in this regard.

benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by benj » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:48 am

It doesn’t help that Apple has serious branding problems with their TV products; there’s the TV box (Apple TV), the app (Apple TV) and the streaming service (Apple TV+) :s

You have the Apple TV app on your tv and, as you correctly surmised, cannot watch via that. Instead you’d need to install the Eventive app on to your tv (assuming there’s one available for it).

I’m hoping Ian will clarify the situation on a FireStick app but in the meantime it might be worth messing around with the display resolution options on your PC to remedy the scaling problems.

cookiemonster
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by cookiemonster » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:05 pm

Yep thanks benj. I would rather watch on a 49" tv and not a laptop. Its tv or no point. iam beginning to think i might pass as not ideal committing to watch at home anyway. Yes if the other frightfester is watching on laptop then well done you wont have the issue we are discussing.

I will see if i can find a solution and post it here if i do . Thanks.

benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by benj » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:43 pm

Sorry cm- I meant changing the display resolution options on your laptop so it outputs correctly on your tv... not resorting to watching on your laptop (assuming this is what you thought I meant! :) )

AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:01 am

The Fire Stick does support mirroring from laptop, so could be a way to use - here is a guide for setting it up
That page also includes notes on extending display rather than duplicating if you prefer, so similar to the cable method in that sense.

Could there be value in Eventive having a placeholder ad/stream as well as the slideshow on the event page so that people can check the video performance in advance of the day?
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."

danthsmith
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by danthsmith » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:25 pm

I watch digital stuff via playstation which has amazon, netflix, iplayer etc. I wouldnt have a clue wether this would be an option so will have to skip it. Crying....

benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by benj » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:15 pm

danthsmith wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:25 pm
I watch digital stuff via playstation which has amazon, netflix, iplayer etc. I wouldnt have a clue wether this would be an option so will have to skip it. Crying....
Yeah, think your only option there would be if the Eventive website plays nice with the PS browser.

AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:21 pm

Found a compatibility page with a test stream to allow testing of mirroring/console browsers - https://watch.eventive.org/account/play ... 0029055ca8
You need to enter an email address if you're not already registered. Hope this is of use!
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."

benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by benj » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:05 pm

AndyJWS wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:21 pm
Found a compatibility page with a test stream to allow testing of mirroring/console browsers - https://watch.eventive.org/account/play ... 0029055ca8
You need to enter an email address if you're not already registered. Hope this is of use!
That’s really handy- nice spot! 8)

Frank Rizzo
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Frank Rizzo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:22 pm

There seems to be a glitch on the film viewing website. It won't let you book Playhouse followed by Blind because it thinks the two films are overlapping. Same with Two heads creek and hall, it looks like it won't work if the gap between the films is 2hrs. Ditto Blinders & Dark Stories.

filmfan
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by filmfan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:37 pm

Yes this is a known issue. They are waiting to get running times including any intros etc finalised then they will update the running times which will resolve the problem.