Discussion for all the 2020 Frightfest Events
benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: HOW TO WATCH

Post by benj » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:25 pm

Sue77 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:32 pm
I've had a look at what browsers are supported and Microsoft Edge isn't featured.
Is this likely to cause an issue?
Quite likely. Microsoft has a track record of releasing browsers incompatible with established standards and requiring special code to do what every other browser does just fine (there’s a reason they stopped using the name Internet Explorer, since it became synonymous with unreliability).

Of course, it may work but you’re probably safest installing something like Google Chrome. The last thing you want is your browser crashing in the middle of a film.

moviemad
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by moviemad » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:07 pm

Has there been any update on the amazon fire stick issue? Last I checked I haven't been able to find an app for it... also, i might've been an idiot and picked the two short film showcases before picking my other films and now I'm blocked from picking anything. I've emailed frightfest@mac.com and I'm assuming that's the right contact point to fix this?

DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:29 pm

moviemad wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:07 pm
Has there been any update on the amazon fire stick issue? Last I checked I haven't been able to find an app for it... also, i might've been an idiot and picked the two short film showcases before picking my other films and now I'm blocked from picking anything. I've emailed frightfest@mac.com and I'm assuming that's the right contact point to fix this?
Last I heard there was no progress with it and Ian said on Facebook he wouldn't expect it to be available before the festival kicks off.

The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:10 am

jonbly wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:03 pm
Yup, I've been fixed by cancellation of the short film bookings.

...and successfully booked my choices, then booked the shorts.
ukpirate wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:44 am
jonbly wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:39 pm
Hmm... I bought the pass, booked the two short film showcases... and now it won't let me book anything else. "This pass has already been used to reserve a ticket to an event that occurs at the same time as this event."
Apparently that's a known problem. Ian mentioned it in the online chat. It's all fine if you book them last, but if you do it first it screws up further bookings. Worth contacting the team to fix.
Bloody hell. I've just done the same. Couldn't there have been a warning on the booking page saying "DON'T BOOK THESE FIRST!"?

benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by benj » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:06 pm

Just for the record, you can watch on a Firestick if you do it via a browser app. I just viewed the Eventive test stream with the Silk Browser. Sure, it’s a bit of a faff typing in the url but it’ll get you there :)

The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:51 pm

The Soapmaker wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:10 am
jonbly wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:03 pm
Yup, I've been fixed by cancellation of the short film bookings.

...and successfully booked my choices, then booked the shorts.
ukpirate wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:44 am
jonbly wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:39 pm
Hmm... I bought the pass, booked the two short film showcases... and now it won't let me book anything else. "This pass has already been used to reserve a ticket to an event that occurs at the same time as this event."
Apparently that's a known problem. Ian mentioned it in the online chat. It's all fine if you book them last, but if you do it first it screws up further bookings. Worth contacting the team to fix.
Bloody hell. I've just done the same. Couldn't there have been a warning on the booking page saying "DON'T BOOK THESE FIRST!"?
I was all set to do the same the other night but was distracted by people saying they'd been unable to book some movies together as the site reckoned they overlapped (which seems to be sorted now). So I decided to sort out the films first just in case I had a similar problem. Glad I did now!

So far as the short films go, once they're booked can we watch them any time over the weekend? Like say at midnight once the main films are done for the day. And can we watch them in fits and starts or does it all have to be in one 90 minute go?

Sue77
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Sue77 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:28 pm

benj wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:25 pm
Sue77 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:32 pm
I've had a look at what browsers are supported and Microsoft Edge isn't featured.
Is this likely to cause an issue?
Quite likely. Microsoft has a track record of releasing browsers incompatible with established standards and requiring special code to do what every other browser does just fine (there’s a reason they stopped using the name Internet Explorer, since it became synonymous with unreliability).

Of course, it may work but you’re probably safest installing something like Google Chrome. The last thing you want is your browser crashing in the middle of a film.
Thanks Benj :)

jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:20 pm

Beware, the Arrow advert in front of the shorts is VERY LOUD. But the shorts aren't.

DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:14 pm

Must say its been a pretty smooth experience so far. Bought my pass, selected all the movies I wanted, picked the short film showcases last so I seem to have avoided the problems others have reported. Paid for Sky Sharks on top of that (Some may hate this but it hit all my buttons so I'm happy :D ... yeh Im easily pleased at times and TBH anything with Zombie Nazis is going to float my boat ).

Watched Short Films 1 and Sky Sharks on my PC as I have a 32" HD monitor - may hook the PC up to 65" TV later but probably will view most films on PC. Looking forward to "I am Lisa" at 7.00pm

I know its not the same as being in a large screen cinema with like minded peops but hey I can watch in total comfort in my FF T-shirt with the dog snoring at my feet, the fridge is full of beer and the catering here is pretty good :lol:

The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:20 pm

Well, thanks to Ian and Helen for cancelling my short film bookings - at short notice - so I could could successfully book everything else.

Setting up and watching on the Roku proved very straightforward. Rare that I should find myself in the position of owning an appropriate piece of technology, for anything.

ethanmiles
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by ethanmiles » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:08 am

benj wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:48 am
It doesn’t help that Apple has serious branding problems with their TV products; there’s the TV box (Apple TV), the app (Apple TV) and the streaming service (Apple TV+) :s

You have the Apple TV app on your tv and, as you correctly surmised, cannot watch via that. Instead you’d need to install the Eventive app on to your tv (assuming there’s one available for it).

I’m hoping Ian will clarify the situation on a FireStick app but in the meantime it might be worth messing around with the display resolution options on your PC to remedy the scaling problems.
Is it possible to use third party apps on Firstick TV and how?

here is the list of third party apps.

vidmate app youtube video downloader and watch videos.
https://apkpure.com/vidmate-downloader- ... mo.vidmate

WhatsApp Plus modified version of Whatsapp to use dual whatsapp
https://gbapps.net

tubemate for watching youtube videos
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/devian-studio/tubemate/

Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Whiptail » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:52 pm

So now that Halloween Frightfest has gone digital (a choice that I fully understand and support, yet am still very angry at, mostly because my hotel room is not refundable and I'm £500 out of pocket!), I'm having to look at this digital streaming thing.

Despite being surgically attached to my computer all day, I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to technology. Ill have to watch FFH on my PC, but don't understand how, even with the guide. Is there a programme I have to download?

Thanks!

benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by benj » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Whiptail wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:52 pm
Despite being surgically attached to my computer all day, I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to technology. Ill have to watch FFH on my PC, but don't understand how, even with the guide. Is there a programme I have to download?

Thanks!
Well we’ve all been through it once now so can say it’s reasonably straightforward, depending on what kit you have.

If you just have a PC then you can watch the films through a browser. Should you want to go bigger, most desktops or laptops have an HDMI port through which you can output to a TV or projector via cable (you may have to mess around with your output settings to scale/ fill the screen properly). Alternatively, if you have an Apple Macbook or other iDevice you can Airplay your browser window to the TV or projector (provided they support Airplay).

If you have an Apple TV box, there’s an Eventive app you can install on that.

If you have a Roku, there’s an Eventive app for that also.

If you have an Amazon FireStick, it’s a bit of a faff as you need to install a browser on it and watch the films through that.

All of the above can be tested for free with a sample stream mentioned earlier in this thread.

I may have missed some other scenario but that’s the general gist of it as far as I know. Feel free to ask here if you need more help :)

DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:39 pm

benj wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:14 pm
If you have an Amazon FireStick, it’s a bit of a faff as you need to install a browser on it and watch the films through that.
I wonder if Eventive will get their finger out and deliver the FireStick app that was promised in time for the August digital FrightFest?

Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Whiptail » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:47 pm

benj wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:14 pm
If you just have a PC then you can watch the films through a browser
So just go to a website and watch via there, like twitch or the youtubes? I can do that! Thanks for the help!