Sky Sharks

Discussion for all the 2020 Frightfest Events
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Sky Sharks

Post by Alex J » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:08 pm

Reminiscent of the Iron Sky franchise with a similar blend of sci-fi, action and humour. Lots of CGI - so avoid if you're not a fan - but it is an engaging and fun enough way to spend c. 100 minutes. There are quite a lot of flashbacks, which help to create and add to the lore and the establishment of some of the characters, but it also feels this is to cover up for the slim plot in the present day.
Spoiler:
If there is to be a follow-up as the ending suggests then hopefully the makers will have some fresh ideas to bring into play.
Oh, there are plenty of extra bits in and after the end credits. 6.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

HeadOnAStick
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Sky Sharks

Post by HeadOnAStick » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:36 pm

Fair to say I wasn't a fan. Arguably the most gratuitous nudity I've ever seen and the CGI was only slightly better than the dialogue. However... About half way through it did start to throw in a few quite nice visual gags, like the brand name on that chain and the book the guy was reading in 'Nice' :)

Not my thing, but it did manage to prove that my setup is working smoothly before the festival, so well worth it for that.

Make sure you stay to the very end of the credits, the trailer for the videogame is charming.

The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:47 pm

It just about scraped a 5/10 here. The opening looked promising with Lynn Lowry and Robert LeSardo exchanging religious notes and the subsequent massacre was enjoyable enough but after that it all went downhill for me. Half the American actors had German accents, unnecessary flashbacks that seemed to go on forever for no good reason, very little story other than Nazi's riding flying sharks seem to enjoy bringing down airliners, the admittedly expected wooden acting and stilted dialogue and more boobs than you can fit in a barrel (which isn't strictly a bad thing but it just got tiresome after a while). It wasn't all bad. Some of the effects and deaths were well done (couldn't get over seeing Tom Savini's name on the opening credits) and the city shots had an impressive glossy sheen to them that looked like it had strayed in from another film altogether. But generally, nah... I'm not going anywhere near Sky Frogs! Anyway, things can only get better from here on... There's No Such Thing As Vampires is up next... in 15 minutes time in fact so I'd better get myself sorted!

DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:46 pm

If you like Nazi zombies and are a fan of the similar Iron Sky movies ..... thats a yes from me on both .... then you'll really enjoy this one as I did :lol:

Silly fun with dodgy camp accents and good effects - and dont miss the post credits scenes :D