FrightFest October 2020

Discussion for all the 2020 Frightfest Events
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

FrightFest October 2020

Post by iomega »

Now that the weekend's excitements are behind us a couple of updates. Firstly, as previously mentioned in this thread the lineup will be announced on 17th September. Tickets will be available from noon on Monday 21st September. Ticket prices have still to be confirmed.

I'm afraid that we will not be using the Prince Charles Cinema. The seating capacities because of the current distancing rules make the cinema untenable, so it just the Cineworld Leicester Square. As a result, the festival will be restructured to reflect the reduced capacities and screens available. We will bend over backwards to retain as much of the usual FrightFest experience as possible, but that much-used phrase – the new normal – at least for the short term, will be evident at the event.

More news and updates will be posted here as soon as we have them.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: FrightFest October 2020

Post by zappa fan »

Thanks Ian.
LAST FILM- Deadbeat at Dawn ***
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." - The Mighty Frank Zappa

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
HeadOnAStick
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by HeadOnAStick »

Cheers for the update. I think we all understand how tricky this year is going to be, so however you manage to do it I'll certainly try to be there.
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Re: FrightFest October 2020 - ticket sales

Post by iomega »

We have decided to pause today's sale of tickets for the 22-25th October FrightFest event for a few days to monitor how any further potential COVID restrictions will impact an event such as ours. We are particularly concerned about any 10 pm curfew and its impact on the programme as it is meaning a complete restructure of the schedule.
HeadOnAStick
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by HeadOnAStick »

Thanks for the update, Ian, I think we're all trying to keep up with a fast-changing world right now. I truly sympathise.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I’d be pessimistic.

When the state start issuing graphs with criminally bad extrapolation curves on it, the only reason is fear.

Works better than any horror film
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

FrightFest will go virtual for the second time in 2020, having taken the difficult decision to cancel its planned physical event at the Cineworld, Leicester Square due to continuing COVID restrictions making the event socially, practically and commercially untenable.

The more and more we have looked at this everything that makes FrightFest FrightFest, the restrictions are slowly taking away. Apart from films, a huge part of the festival is its social side, and that won’t be there this time around.

This second digital edition will run over from 22 to 25 October and will combine the in-cinema and proposed Halloween digital event into one online festival experience. The line-up, which will include over forty films, will be announced on Thursday 1 October. Tickets will go on sale the same day. As with the August online event, passes and individual tickets will be available.
Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Whiptail »

I fully support this decision. I understand that it must have been a painful choice, but its for the best for everyone. The guys always do their best to provide us with the best, and in this situation, this is the best idea.

HOWEVER....

I'm still very angry. Not at the guys or the choice to digitize the event, but the fact that they have had to do it at all, and what it means were missing out on.

Also, the hotel I booked for the event is non-refundable, and I don't have any way of watching the films in the hotel, nor do I trust their Wifi! This means I'm out £500, as I'm not staying in my hotel room for 4 days staring at my tiny mobile screen! Not really a problem, just wanted to rant. Although this does mean I have a reason to upgrade my pc.....
HeadOnAStick
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by HeadOnAStick »

I think we could all see this coming, there was a lot of heavy foreshadowing at the beginning of the second act...

The August virtual was pretty successful for me so I'll be enthusiastically signing on for this one as well. Thanks for keeping us informed and, fingers crossed, I'll get to see everyone in 3D in August.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I certainly wouldn’t make any plans for a physical Glasgow 2021 either
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Gets a huge thumbs up here. Like many I was deliberating on whether or not to go to Leicester Square if it went ahead and would probably have only taken a chance on a couple of films at best. This way I can pick and choose to my hearts content. Obviously its not ideal but looking on the bright side... two Frightfest weekends in the same year. Yeah, I can handle that :)
cineBAKA
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by cineBAKA »

I’m liking the pass price of £66.66 :lol:

Looking forward to the line up reveal. Still hoping for native Fire TV support (I’m not on Facebook, has anything new been mentioned?). It’d be cool if they were able to do what Grimmfest are doing with some films getting a 24-48 hour window to watch after premiere, but I do understand them wanting to recreate a festival feel.
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

I just checked with Eventive today and I'm afraid there is still no native Firestick support. However, that said, the Firestick has a built-in browser called Silk. It works superbly well with the Eventive system so although it's not 100% perfect it is a decent easy to use workaround.
cineBAKA
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by cineBAKA »

Thank you for the update!

Also, perhaps I'm being stupid, but I cannot find the main list of screens and films on the Frightfest site (to see times / clashes, etc). I can only find the news item with the films listed. Can anyone throw me a link? Or is it just not up yet? I'm 90% sure it's me being stupid and the link is right in front of me. :lol:

I'm trying to plan my October marathon. I wish Shudder would confirm their October line up too. :x

Edit: Nevermind, the Eventive site has everything I need. I didn’t realise it had more in-depth info on the films.

Sorry about that. The event was put together in much shorter time than we have normally to do it, so I just didn't have the time to add all the info that I would normally do.
Last edited by cineBAKA on Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jon H
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jon H »

Great line up! I've just purchased by festival pass. I didn't do the August event, so I'm maybe not as up with the drill as others. Do I just make my selections for each time slot whenever I'm ready? Is there any advantage of doing it quickly or waiting ?

We will be updating the how to watch guide with info from what was learned from August before the event, but the two following post give good advice.