FrightFest October 2020

Discussion for all the 2020 Frightfest Events
HeadOnAStick
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: FrightFest October 2020

Post by HeadOnAStick »

Assuming it's the same as last time...

I chose my screenings during the festival, only picking the first day's choices before it all kicked off.

Last time the short film programmes were available throughout the festival and you could watch them whenever suited you, but they needed to be the last things you reserved. I think this time the short film showcases are screened on the stated schedule like everything else.

Please remember you need to be online at approximately the start time, it's just like a physical festival in that if you miss the beginning then you, well, miss the beginning.

I used an HDMI cable to stream the film off my laptop, straight off the Eventive website. I hear others might have used Eventive apps or similar, but I didn't have access to any of those. I did try using the browser built in to my Firestick but the HD stream was a bit too much for it and it was a bit erratic.

Oh, yes, one tip. For those who did do the August one, the Eventive site will likely offer to let you just stay logged in with your existing account. For me, at least, that didn't work. I needed to logout and login again using my mail and password, otherwise I just got an endless ring of loading nothingness.
HeadOnAStick
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by HeadOnAStick »

Every FrightFest (or more accurately every one I attend) I do a simple web-page view that makes it easy to see the key information about the films on offer in a format that's easy on things like mobile phones. The one for October is up now and in case others find it helpful it's here:

http://frightfest.bythelens.org

It has only content from the FF site and it's plain HTML, so no background downloads, adverts, logins, and it doesn't need to be refreshed so you can leave the page open and not burn any data charges, if you see what I mean.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

All the best trying to find any physical cinemas left open for future events.

How very, criminally sad this all is.
Jon H
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jon H »

These are worrying times for all of us cinema lovers for sure. My heart goes out to all Cineworld staff, who play such a big part in making Frightfest a great event, who apparently learnt their jobs were under threat yesterday by hearing it in the media. It must be an incredibly worrying and uncertain time for everyone. I hope better times are ahead of us.
cineBAKA
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by cineBAKA »

Just set up my Roku Streaming Stick, bought my pass, added the channel and the opening night films. Still haven't decided on what to watch for the rest of the festival (is there a missing film on Sunday in the Arrow Video screen; around 2pm-ish?). Nor have I actually watched anything on the stick yet, so fingers crossed it works.

I saw them mention joining in on the Facebook members group, I wonder if they've ever considered a Frightfest Discord server. Facebook is very divisive these days, and Discord is much more flexible and focussed less on superficial interactions. I see people hosting watch parties / movie nights in Discord with the ability to share your screen. Definitely something to look into.

Hope everyone enjoys the festival!
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

cineBAKA wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:40 pm is there a missing film on Sunday in the Arrow Video screen; around 2pm-ish?
There does seem to be an obvious gap there.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

I wondered if The Dark and the Wicked was meant to be in that slot, but got pulled late from the schedule for reasons unknown?
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
cineBAKA
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by cineBAKA »

Can’t seem to get the Q&A after Sacrifice (there is one, right?). After the credits I get ‘Loading’, tried backing out and playing again, which ran a portion of the end of the film and the credits again to be met with ‘Loading’ still. I’m using Roku if that makes any difference. Is that it, my chance to see it blown?
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

I had the same problem too - plus a couple of scenes very early on froze momentarily, but that could have just been my Internet connection
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
cineBAKA
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by cineBAKA »

I had a freeze early on too, and saw someone else mention it on Twitter (shortly after they first enter the house, and it resumed at the sink). Also, after Barbara’s intro it seemed like something else was about to play (with Paul?) but it cut into the film before I could even tell what it was.
cineBAKA
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by cineBAKA »

Was there a short missing? It seemed to go from Lights Out to The Mime for me? I didn’t get:
Night Feed (World Premiere)
Director: William Allum. Cast: Emma Allum, William Allum. UK 2020. 1 min.
It’s feeding time for Emma. But is she awake or is this a nightmare?
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Agreed