The Rough Guide to FrightFest

Have your say on what you would like to see new, changed or just kept the same at the next FrightFest.
lisy-babe
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: The Rough Guide to FrightFest

Post by lisy-babe »

A friend of mine organises LARP games. After some venues said "look, we're not going to be able to accept any more bookings from you because the smell drives the other customers away," they had to start issuing personal hygiene rules for players.

The rules included:

* If you're staying away from home for the weekend make sure you pack: Clean clothes for every day (including underwear), a towel, shampoo, shower gel, anti-perspirant, a toothbrush, and toothpaste.
* Before coming to a game make sure you shower (not bath because you'll just be stewing in your own juices) incl washing your hair.
* Wear anti-perspirant (deodorant doesn't stop you sweating so is not good enough).
* Wear clean clothes.

Last year was my first FF and I was quite surprised by how ripe such a large, air-conditioned auditorium smelled after a couple of days (and I have chronic sinus problems and my sense of smell is somewhat impaired so it must've been really bad for me to notice it!). The foyer (being smaller and less well airconned than the auditorium) was especially whiffy and it's the area members of the public seeing films in the couple of other, non-FF screens, will be using. I started to picture FF getting told the same thing as my friend's LARP group: You're putting off the other customers with the smell. Which made me think of the LARP hygiene guidance and left me wistfully wishing FF had something similar.

So, um, please be kind to your fellow film goers and shower before you leave the house/hotel/hostel of a morning!

In hygiene-related things: You'll wanna make sure you've got some tissues in your bag for when the cinema toilets are out of loo roll. I also made sure I had baby wipes with me for when I invariably spilled nacho cheese dip down my front, though it might just be me that's that clumsy.
@lisybabe on Twitter

FYI "Lisy" is pronounced "Lee-see". It's derived from my real name, Lisa.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Ouch... haha, yep there have been a few smellies floating about frightfest, overpowering booze smell or BO smell, they are both as bad :lol:

Bring vaporub to stick up your nostril in case of an emergency
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

geeks smell?!?! who knew :lol:
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
lisy-babe
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by lisy-babe »

I was muchly amused to read a point about personal hygiene on the T&Cs on the pass!
@lisybabe on Twitter

FYI "Lisy" is pronounced "Lee-see". It's derived from my real name, Lisa.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Add to the guide - bring earplugs for Screen 1 :evil:
zombie-elvira
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by zombie-elvira »

I take a little blankie with me, as sometimes it can get a little a chilly (plus its great for snuggling down)
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

And a big cushion or pillow, one for numb bums and two, to hide behind
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

Much respect to anybody who brings and passes round a hip flask, thermos flasks not so much.

I think anybody who brings a picnic instead of cocktails, has misjudged the spirit of the occasion, but having said that, for some perverse reason, I would be secretly impressed by anyone I saw eating a bowl of cereal in the theatre, maybe I'll bring a box of Sugar Puffs this year.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Oh yes.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

The Rough Guide to FrightFest

Post by daveroughcut »

Condoms... to put over the head if the person in front of you and kill 'em. What row will you be in?
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

daveroughcut wrote:Condoms... to put over the head if the person in front of you and kill 'em. What row will you be in?
Beware of daveroughcut, he's a Cereal Killer!

(sorry)
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

Hey guys I'm planning to visit FF for the first time this year. I've been to Glasgow FF twice so I kinda know what to expect but I just want to clarify a couple of points.

Are seats numbered? A mate and I are going and therefore will want to sit together. Will we have to book our passes at the same time? or do you just claim any seats you can find?

The GFT has a lax attitude to drinking, does the London venue also share this attitude? In other wordfs I can bring a bag of booze and drink without fear of repercussion?
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Malky wrote:Are seats numbered? A mate and I are going and therefore will want to sit together. Will we have to book our passes at the same time? or do you just claim any seats you can find?

Yes, the seats are allocated and you get that seat for the duration.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

streetrw wrote:
Malky wrote:Are seats numbered? A mate and I are going and therefore will want to sit together. Will we have to book our passes at the same time? or do you just claim any seats you can find?

Yes, the seats are allocated and you get that seat for the duration.
Didn't you have trouble locating your seat last year?

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Maniacal wrote:
streetrw wrote:Yes, the seats are allocated and you get that seat for the duration.
Didn't you have trouble locating your seat last year?

Yes - they sold me O34 which turned out not to exist - the seating went from O33 to O35 across the aisle. I had to be relocated. If I am there this year, that won't be happening again.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!