Appluading Death Scenes

Have your say on what you would like to see new, changed or just kept the same at the next FrightFest.
chary
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Appluading Death Scenes

Post by chary »

Applauding death scenes is something I only do at frightfest and I think that's what people mean when they say they want to see a film with the frightfest audience. I wouldn't do that at my local multiplex as people would look at you like you've just dropped a cat in a wheelie bin.
Bedevilled is different because believe it or not, the way the old aunts behaved (in South Korea) is very real as women are still seen as second class citizens and for me, it was a reaction against the institutionalised sexism that got me to cheer along with everyone else
Last edited by chary on Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Applauding during FrightFest is the only time i EVER clap inside a cinema, mostly because the people who watch the films at FrightFest "Get It" when i clap etc.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

Why wouldn't you applaud the torture of a bunch or brutal rapists?????

Of course its appropriate. Put yourself in the victims position. Why applaud in Bedevilled and not in I Spit on your Grave??

She did the right thing. She took her own revenge which would have taken an extraordinary amount of strength, to recover physically and mentally from her ordeal. It took balls for her also to go back to the place where the crimes were committed, but she somehow managed it. She obviously had no faith in the legal system regarding rape, because she could have easily proved who the perpetrators were, as there would have been mountains of DNA evidence. The appalling treatment of rape victims in courts of law, is well known, due to some bizarre mindset when it comes to the crime of rape, so it makes sense that a woman could contemplate such a thing.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

I appreciate both sides of this argument, have to say that i found the roaring rampage of revenge in the awesome I Spit ... more conventionally cheer-worthy than the (admittedly excellent) retribution in the more sombre Bedeveilled, though i have no problem with the applause for either...the only thing that disturbed me over the weekend in terms of reaction was the brief sounds of laughter at the end of the scene in which Sarah Butler is raped by the simpleton in I Spit On Your Grave...reminded me a bit of seeing Nacho Cerda's mentally-scarring Aftermath years ago at a horror festival and hearing some wholly inappropriate laughter during scenes that werent funny in any context or universe...
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

I have also noticed at FrightFest, that there are occasions, when a handful of people laugh at things that are cruel and horrible, but not remotely funny. You will always get a small number of people who are below average intelligence with nasty little minds, watching movies of this type. Thankfully they are a tiny minority, but none the less skin crawlingly awful for it.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
deadboxoffice
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by deadboxoffice »

This was the first time I've experienced viewing horror films with a huge crowd of other horror fans - so I guess it makes sense that there were applause and cheers after a particularly gruesome death, especially in the film "Bedevilled", as there was an element of humour in the death scenes.
I certainly wasn't expecting that sort of reaction though, so it took me by surprise at first! It felt good to applaud the films when the credits rolled up, as in a regular cinema that sort of thing doesn't tend to happen (in my experience). It felt good to show my appreciation for great films, like 'The Dead', and to join in the laughter at the unintentionally funny parts of 'The Last Exorcism' :lol:
Was a great atmosphere to watch horror films in :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDeadBoxOffice <------- my Horror Movie Reviews
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

At first I thought it was a bit unusual to laugh and cheer at all the gruesome bits.

Then I kinda got it that it wasn't always about someone being bumped off but the way in which it was done, written, the make up or prosthetics of it all that was being acknowledged. For me initially as an outsider I didn't quite get it but now after watching hundreds of films either at FF or inspired by it, I see something and think wow that was well done, or wow that scared me, or wow doesn't that look good or real or whatever.

Still wouldn't change it for the world, as much as I loved Leeds Film Festival "Day Of The Dead" last week, for the great films (Red, White and Blue - Kidnapped - Rare Exports - The Last Employee) it just doesn't have the same buzz about it.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
Sentinel
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Sentinel »

chary wrote:Applauding death scenes is something I only do at frightfest and I think that's what people mean when they say they want to see a film with the frightfest audience. I wouldn't do that at my local multiplex as people would look at you like you've just dropped a cat in a wheelie bin.
Bedevilled is different because believe it or not, the way the old aunts behaved (in South Korea) is very real as women are still seen as second class citizens and for me, it was a reaction against the institutionalised sexism that got me to cheer along with everyone else
I think that you individuals are probably sick in the head.... maybe you are the one Maggie warned us of all those years ago.
I am a life force stealer, I creep through the cracks of life and suck out your youth... I am age....
Sentinel
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Sentinel »

Sentinel wrote:
chary wrote:Applauding death scenes is something I only do at frightfest and I think that's what people mean when they say they want to see a film with the frightfest audience. I wouldn't do that at my local multiplex as people would look at you like you've just dropped a cat in a wheelie bin.
I think that you individuals are probably sick in the head.... maybe you are the one Maggie warned us of all those years ago.
Joking of course we all love to laugh at a good death scene...and clap as the bag guy wins...
I am a life force stealer, I creep through the cracks of life and suck out your youth... I am age....
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

I did get shouted at last night at home for laughing at a documentary on a serial killer in hong kong who chopped up his victims bodies
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
DoctorKaren
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by DoctorKaren »

BabyJaneHudson wrote:Why wouldn't you applaud the torture of a bunch or brutal rapists?????

Of course its appropriate. Put yourself in the victims position. Why applaud in Bedevilled and not in I Spit on your Grave??.
The thing for me is that it isn't always the victim's guts that are being applauded. I've been in screenings of I Spit on Your Grave(did a mag interview with Sarah Butler so saw it several times at different festivals) where the rape scenes got almost as much cheering/clapping as the revenge scenes. My training is in ethnography so I keep an eye out for how the audience is interacting and it was guys who were doing it.

I'll probably get lynched here, but I don't think reacting that way to such things is bad per se as I feel this is imposing the moral guidelines that a lot of modern horror seems to want to expose and trash. It seems we're almost invoking a form of political correctness to say what we can and can't get turned on by in terms of violence. Having said that, what does worry me a little is the way that rape scenes in particular could be seen as an extension of the way women are sometimes treated in the horror film industry - simply as sex puppets for men's pleasure. I love a scream queen as much as the next girl (for transparency, I did a piece on them in the eMagazine), but I think we need to maybe be a bit more accountable for realising what we like and why as this can change how people react. I'd rather people understand what they're cheering and think about that than doing it mindlessly.
Forum moderator, university Film Studies lecturer and movie journalist for mags including Little White Lies, Scream, Fangoria and the FrightFest eMagazine. I'm the one shaking and screaming at every screening.
DoctorKaren
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by DoctorKaren »

Kris wrote:I did get shouted at last night at home for laughing at a documentary on a serial killer in hong kong who chopped up his victims bodies
Sometimes stuff is so slapstick you can't help it. There's a great scene in Beautiful Girl Hunter (AKA Star of David) where a serial rapist and murderer has a little fall. In a film that can be extremely bleak, it is so utterly silly that it is funny as hell.
Forum moderator, university Film Studies lecturer and movie journalist for mags including Little White Lies, Scream, Fangoria and the FrightFest eMagazine. I'm the one shaking and screaming at every screening.
SonicRatLord
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat
Location: Watching you from a sewer... or a drain... or just watching you

Post by SonicRatLord »

I laugh at all the death scenes, rape scenes and anything else that is grim...
I do it when I got to FF
I do it when I go to DBD... and I often get told off
and I do it all the time at home
and at any cinema I go to... I laugh at movies

I laughed all the way through In the company of men at the GFt in Glasgow...to some really strange looks....

watch premoutos and not cheer?
mathewxentrix88
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by mathewxentrix88 »

My take on applauding death scenes-don't-it's embarrassing.
As is "ironic"laughing at things like Giallo.Yes it was bad,yes the script was awful but unless you yourself have made a movie shown in a cinema have a bit of respect.I was squirming in my seat at some of the dialogue but never felt that i was so superior to the filmmakers that i could actually laugh at their film.There was a bit of isolated laughter at the start and seemed to escalate when people felt comfortable that it was "o.k"to take the piss.It wasn't and it's not-so don't.
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by ArghZombies »

I'd be worried if people take the films so seriously that they *don't* laugh / applaud etc. it's horror, it's supposed to be fun. I laugh at the death scenes in many films, it all depends on the tone of the movie. And yeah, I'd laugh at bad movies too - at least that means you're getting *some* enjoyment out of it. Better to enjoy it ironically than get no enjoyment out of it at all. Surely that's worse?
Twitter: @ArghZombies