Mobile Phones why cant people do with out them?

Have your say on what you would like to see new, changed or just kept the same at the next FrightFest.
devilishzombie
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Mobile Phones why cant people do with out them?

Post by devilishzombie »

Having said that The Dead was really capturing, the scenery was great and yes i heard someone say switch your mobile off or something but the film looked such a strong mix of beauty and darkness that it didnt end up making a difference! Great film, hate mobiles!
steve806
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by steve806 »

I was going to try and write something long, witty and scathing about mobile phone users but Streetrw beat me to it (by the way Richard I did mean to come and introduce myself but it just never seemed to happen - if were both at the October event then I will definetely make sure I say hi) and pretty muxch summed up what i wanted to say.

The living room argument is the one I normally use when people start talking or using phones. After asking politely if they carry on I tend to say if you want to talk or use your phone please wait till it comes out on DVD, watch it at home and then you can talk or text as much as you want because you wont be disturbing others. If that doesnt work I normally threaten to stick the phone up their a**e!!!!!!!!! Only joking, I think I have said that once.

They are idiots with no consideration for others, simple as that and the chill out its just a light argument is rubbish, its a distraction, if I brought a french horn into a movie and blow a single note every 15 minutes because I simply could not go 1.5 hours with blowing a french horn would that be acceptable and should everyone just chill out because it just a french horn? Of course not, its a distraction just the same as a mobile phone and its inconsiderate to other paying customers.
danthsmith
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by danthsmith »

I do find the young people's neurotic checking of their phones the split second a credit title appears a bit sad. It appears like an addict desperate for a fag. They have been out of contact with their friends by this time of nearly 90 minutes after all!
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

LeeManc wrote:I am perfectly fine with a mobile being checked once during a screening it is when it is constantly out that it bothers me, I'm sure everyone heard the girl screaming about how she could 'still see the phone' which eventually resulted in another girl shouting 'Shut up!!' that would be fair enough but she then proceeded to talk, laugh, snigger throughout every film, no wonder when it came to 'buried' she couldn't understand how he could have cell signal, maybe if you listened instead of yapping and ruining the film for everyone, you would know!

Why is laughing/talking/sniggering throughout every film seen to be more acceptable than someone having their phone on during the opening credits???
i know im getting a lot of hate over the phone issue but this person kinds puts it as i wanted too

peace
the house shot her !!!
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

LeeManc wrote:
Why is laughing/talking/sniggering throughout every film seen to be more acceptable than someone having their phone on during the opening credits???
Out of context this isn't acceptable either. Laughing in response to the film = fine. Even if you're the only one. Huffing and puffing to show this film is below what you deem to be your film criticism education standards and that you are so much better than the cast and crew who have wasted months and years on something that is so u appealing to you hence annoying other people is not.

Phones off.

Keep quiet.

Bugger off if you don't want to see the film.

How about not letting people in once the lights go down. And no going for a pee. And electric seats for... Took that too far.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

brad1000 wrote:
Howl wrote:Hey Brad1000,

It's funny how you accuse me of whining and should get a grip about mobile phones on a thread about mobile phones being distracting, whilst in another thread I was looking at you moan about people laughing during Argento's last movie! So what is it; tolerance of distractions or tolerance only on your own terms as long as it doesn't annoy you?

Cheers.
fair point mate but a whole bunch of people working themselves up into a giggle frenzy over nothing in particular was just cringe worthy and rendered the film un-watchable...not the same as the odd backlight is it?. the same people would have licked argentos bum-hole into submission had he been in attendance is what got my back up.

peace
No chance. GIALLO cannot be defended and a failure at all levels of film making standards.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

danthsmith wrote:I do find the young people's neurotic checking of their phones the split second a credit title appears a bit sad. It appears like an addict desperate for a fag. They have been out of contact with their friends by this time of nearly 90 minutes after all!
Very true it is habit forming but at Frightfest they may be checking twitter and forums for opinions or blogging.
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

I am a Londoner and massively tolerant of noise. I grew up living on the A316 (in a house by it) and now I live on the A40 (in a flat by it) so pretty chilled about this kind of thing - to a point. It is annoying when you hear text alerts because it distracts you for a few seconds. The light thingy bothers me less, but I can see how it can be another distraction. Its like idiot drivers who cause you to want to murder people, I take the view that when Im driving I am relaxed and sane, because I don't want to have road rage and stress about anything when I am behind the wheel. So with people who are incapable of leaving their phones alone, I just accept that some people are morons and can't be helped and I leave it at that. My own boyfriend did it a few times and I tried to tell him. He rustled his popcorn to the point where I wanted to squeeze him in the nuts so hard :shock: to teach him a lesson, as it was getting on my nerves, but I just took a deep breath.

I think that people who make involuntary noises every 5 seconds during films are 100 million times more annoying :x . However, go to your local cinema and the noise level will be much worse. In fact I have been very close to loosing it at my local cinema due to ignorant people talking constantly as they are so desperate for attention and have the attention span of a dog turd. Bring back cinema ushers who keep on eye on these people during the screening, and who have the power to eject them. Maybe that would help. I can see that turning ugly though lol. Some huge fight breaking out in the audience because they don't want to leave!

Anyway ------------------ Unfortuantely, you will never get EVERYONE switching off their phones. There will always be one or two. Thats just the way it is.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

daveroughcut wrote:
brad1000 wrote:
Howl wrote:Hey Brad1000,

It's funny how you accuse me of whining and should get a grip about mobile phones on a thread about mobile phones being distracting, whilst in another thread I was looking at you moan about people laughing during Argento's last movie! So what is it; tolerance of distractions or tolerance only on your own terms as long as it doesn't annoy you?

Cheers.
fair point mate but a whole bunch of people working themselves up into a giggle frenzy over nothing in particular was just cringe worthy and rendered the film un-watchable...not the same as the odd backlight is it?. the same people would have licked argentos bum-hole into submission had he been in attendance is what got my back up.

peace
No chance. GIALLO cannot be defended and a failure at all levels of film making standards.
i repeat...arse liking frenzy
the house shot her !!!
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

LMAI :lol: I have to agree, Giallo was unadulterated shit.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Missed Giallo, one of the best decisions ever made by me at FF

Still stand by my thoughts on phones, watching Trick r Treat my Samsung had a habit of switching itself on after being in my pocket it kept catching the on/off button on the side of the handset. When it started vibrating as a call came in I felt really self conscious that I was disturbing people around me and their enjoyment of the film. Now if I can consciously accept that mobiles can cause a distraction and also be aware that the distraction may spoil other peoples enjoyment of that film then why can't other people do the same?

£150 is a lot of money for a weekend pass, films like what FF show don't usually do the rounds, the money isn't always there to buy the DVD and the magical part of some films is seeing them on something as fabulous as the empire screen. I don't believe that anyone has any right to ruin that enjoyment.

I get the point made in a previous post about emergencies, no one would ever dispute the importance of being contactable there. But generally, as it says in the FF programme, as you are asked everyday, just switch it off.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
Filth87
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Filth87 »

I'm in the cinema right now and some dick infront of me keeps going on the net, it's doin my fuckin box in. Wish people would just do all their facebooking and forums when they're in the house or cinema bar.

What a bunch of absolute pricks!

Michael. via Blackberry.
Dead girls can't say 'no'!
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

How are you posting this....?
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Kris wrote:How are you posting this....?
lol I Wondered that! :) the bloke on the net in front is prolly complaining on some forums about the bloke on the net in front of him :)
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
Vampirella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Vampirella »

If a phone goes off and its an accident or people go out to take the call then fine – those who sit there having a conversation on their phone when the film is on annoys me.
But saying that people who talk all the way through films annoy me.
I would rather be hated every damn day of my life for being real than loved for being something I'm not...