films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
trixybella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by trixybella »

I LOVE DANCING PENGUINS!!!!!!!!!!!

This won't surprise any of the egulars, but I went to see Happy Feet today and I loved it!

Ok, so the plot went a little off track in the middle, and it wont appeal to alot of people because it is a kids film and it is at that level.

But 5 latino penguins singing "if you leave me now"? I defy anyone to NOT find that cute. And penguins rapping and tap dancing. Its adorable!

Not a very in depth review but I'm just high on the penguins!
Have you heard of my friends capital letter and comma?

No? Well perhaps you should try them sometime... correct usage will do wonders for your social life.
Sarah of the Dead
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Sarah of the Dead »

Stranger Than Fiction - awwwww. Will Ferrell's very obviously doing his "look, I'm a real actor!" thing but I really enjoyed it, it was very sweet.
[size=75][url=http://sarahhatesyourmovie.blogspot.com]Sarah Hates Your Movie[/url][/size]
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

Would rather nail my scrotum to a chair than watch anything with Jude Law in it...but agree with the praise for HAPPY FEET and STRANGER THAN FICTION. The all-singing all-dancing penguin flick is sweet and charming, though has a surprisingly dark second half with a harrowing zoo sequence and a grim view of humanity. Director George Miller already proved effective at darker kids' fare with the underrated BABE PIG IN THE CITY. As for STRANGER THAN FICTION, utterly charming, with a wonderfully underplayed turn from Ferrell, an ADORABLE Maggie Gyllenhaal (sigh!!) and a scene-stealing, hilarious Dustin Hoffman. The characters were so appealing that even the inevitable happy ending didn't feel like a Hollywood cop-out. Highly recommended. Its been a good time for flicks, i thoroughly enjoyed FLUSHED AWAY and TENACIOUS D too
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

just finally caught up with the wicker man remake - and it was worse than i thought it was gonna be - a spectacular mis-fire from minute 1, hilarious un frightening inept sequences one after the other, no sexiness, a great twisted dive from cage (has 2 be seen 2 be believed), a great look of surprise as he is startled by an animal while breaking into some house or other, it was good to see the opening sequence so oft repeated through the film - never once tiring. what a MESS!!! soft hearted multi production all lacking any balls 2 put on screen what was so great about the original, film making by commitee - trying 2 please all = pleasing no one!
spoiler (who cares) as for the shocking alternate ending ok you get 2 see him being hobbled before burning and thats it...
flip the disc 4 the orig cut and u get an extra coda with leelee s (sweating brilliantly) and some other girl picking up 2 new blokes - wow

also checked out the 1st half hour of scanner darkly - what a beautiful to look at but u need 2 be on the same drugs as the cast of hollywood confirmed addicts to understand a blind word of it - will prob go back 2 it but finding it as painful as waking life - which i walked out of, oh well next...
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

You can't walk out of a Linklater film, it's not allowed.
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

shit sorry man

does it get better??/ or does it disappear ever further up its own cinematic arse?
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Alex Kidd wrote:You can't walk out of a Linklater film, it's not allowed.
I've just looked at my records and I've never walked into a Linklater film. Do I forfeit my goody bag next year?
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

linklater

dazed and confused = yeah
school of rock = not bad
tape = not good
waking life = see above

i know i will like and will try

slacker and beyond sunrise/sunset

now what did u make of the wicker remake?
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

It only ever seems to be me that likes Linklater.

That's interesting that they dropped the epilogue from the theatrical cut of Wicker Man, it's one of the funniest films I've seen this year, Cage running round dressed as a bear.
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

agreed and you say running but he spends a lot of time peddling around on a dilapidated bike, oh and the heavy handed bee alergy signals - just genius, and his great hairstyle oh it's a corker from start 2 finish!
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

The bike is funny, especially when he bikejacks the woman at gun point.
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

fuck alex u might just be tempting me 2 re watch the bastard with the audio commentary by the cast etc...what a hoot that could be !

the other genius dvd extra is the dead serious travolta talking about the many early hours spent in make up to achieve that cornish pasty perfection in the incredible battlefield earth - comedy gold!!

another cracker the 3-d eyebrows of that other fellow thesp morgan freeman in dreamcatcher a hilarious night out in any cinema for all the wrong reasons - superb fart frights

what a great warners double bill battlefield and arsecatcher :D
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

You should listen to the audio commentary on Battlefield, it's really funny, I listened to it as I wanted them to explain why ever scene is at a 45 degree angle, and how cavemen could learn to fly jet planes, both were explained away by calling it Comic Book stuff. Battlefield Earth is probably one of the most played DVDs I have, used to take it to work to play in the office all the time.
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

what is it they call them human rat scum?/ or somesuch genius - in fact so good lets convert 2 scientology u know it makes sense

and yeah i will brave the commentary at your recomm - i think thanks 4 that mate
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

I was actually looking forward to the remake of the Wicker Man, simply because it was from Neil Labute, who's a really interesting director and I've really liked all of his films. I figured there must be a reason he's invloved, that he'd bring his own style to the remake, but I think the only real reason he was invloved as for the $$$.

I think I'm going to have to watch the directors cut, I had a quick look at it and it has the bee mask bit in it, that was in the trailer, but was missing from the theatrical version, I want to see if there are any other funny differences.