films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
gegsuranus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by gegsuranus »

HOT FUZZ Went to see Hot Fuzz earlier. Am going to the NFT screening and q&a, but I got free tickets so now i get to see it twice. Which is good, because it was BRILLIANT.

I need say no more, but I will because I can't stop going on about. It starts off good and just gets better and better. If pushed i would say Shaun of the Dead is better, but this is definitely a more than worthy follow up for Pegg & Wright. Possibly the best cast, because they're all cameos, but they're all giving it everything. Humour - good. Action - good. Deaths - excellent. I'll try not to say any more in case I spoil it for anyone. Go see it.

Also love Heroes. For anyone who can, download it. Definitely gets better after the first episodes. Am waiting for episode 14 to d/load right now (bloody slow connection).

NOTES ON A SCANDAL
Good thriller. Found the score a bit overwhelming and I'm not sure I like the ending (haven't read the book). But the acting is brilliant. Judi Dench oozes menace.
F**k me gently with a chainsaw!
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

Bearded Avenger wrote:
trixybella wrote:Having discovered the naughty and guilty pleasures that is downloading things I can't get my hands on due to single region dvd's
You can get a multi-region DVD player for £30 at ASDA. Various websites do them cheap as well. If they aren't multi-region auotmatically you can get a patch (worked for my ASDA one).
Tesco Value DVD player. £17 and has an easily found region hack.
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

gegsuranus wrote:
Also love Heroes. For anyone who can, download it. Definitely gets better after the first episodes. Am waiting for episode 14 to d/load right now (bloody slow connection).
I am desperate to see this show. My internet access is all university ran, and they check for file sharing all the time. I don't have posh tv either, so I won't see it when its on the sci-fi channel either. It amazes me that in the states this is one of the most viewed shows on television, but it can't get on a major channel over here.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

streetrw wrote:I think the two stories - the childlike fantasy and the Spanish civil war movie - fitted together much better and the whole thing was more emotionally satisfying. I don't know why I didn't get this from the movie first time...
jonbly would guess that the way the movie's been promoted is part of the problem. All the posters etc show only elements of the fantasy story... so that's what you expect when you enter the cinema first time around.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

xLeft For Deadx wrote:Tesco Value DVD player. £17 and has an easily found region hack.
If they're made by something called Technika, avoid. I had two of 'em and they both refused to work. Got my money back, paid an extra £10 for a name brand player from Argos - and it can be region hacked via the remote.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Channel 4 have picked up Heroes, but don't know when they're going to start showing it...

Have watched the first four episodes, am waiting for my flatmate to catch up so that we can watch the next batch... really like what I've seen so far.
First things first, stay calm.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Just watched Ep 11 and 12. Ooooh GREAT STUFF!!!(So trying not give anything away) :D
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
James W
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by James W »

lupogirl wrote:Just watched Ep 11 and 12. Ooooh GREAT STUFF!!!(So trying not give anything away) :D
Oh yes, this series gets better every epsiode, check the feature in SFX to see what you're missing
And it's hello from me, "Hello"

You might know me from such places as FrightFest, Horror Channel, Beyond and many many more!
trixybella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by trixybella »

Saw Hannibal Rising on Saturday..... all I can really say is hmmmmmm.
I liked it and loathed it. I've really not made my mind up yet.
Rhys Ifans was a great villain, and Hannibal had one of the scariest chins in history (now wouldn't that make an interesting thread? Scariest chin in film :lol: ) But I was a little disappointed with the story itself, which was a shame as I've been looking forward to it for a while. But still, hmmmmm. Anyone else got thoughts on this one yet?
Have you heard of my friends capital letter and comma?

No? Well perhaps you should try them sometime... correct usage will do wonders for your social life.
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

I'm in agreement on Hannibal. I didn't particularly like or dislike it. I thought the training montage, where he's learning to be a samurai (or whatever he was doing) was a bit silly.

I thought the guy who played Hannibal was a bit dull really.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

I just saw Piranha for the first time. I thought it was really good. Towards the end it actually got pretty creepy and nasty when the fishies attacked the summer camp kiddies.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

If mucus was worth anything I could retire. I was going to see HOT FUZZ, HANNIBAL RISING, NOTES ON A SCANDAL, EPIC MOVIE and BLOOD AND CHOCOLATE this week but unfortunately I've come down with a cold and am in no fit state for anything other than moping miserably and sneezing, punctuated by some disturbing yet curiously interesting dreams. If I hadn't bailed on Glasgow already, I'd have to bail on it now.

I did look at Primeval on ITV over the weekend, the first ITV show I've consciously sat down to watch for years. It's amiable Saturday night monster fun which is considerably more entertaining than Torchwood, and has reasonably pleasant characters rather than twisted weirdos. The first episode set everything up quite nicely and the preview for next week's (eeek! Spids!!!!) looks agreeably nasty, but not too nasty for the family audience it's obviously pitched at (no swearing, no graphic sex and violence).

I also taped an edition of Charlie Brooker's Screen Wipe - the one where he takes a well deserved hatchet to the recent "Celebrity" Big Brother. Excellent stuff and I'll hopefully be taping tonight's as well.

Bust go dow.... :(
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Just saw that love fest known as Hannibal Rising. Agree about the story expecting more and not involving the war. The chap who played that Hannibal had the voice of Christopher"There Can Only Be One"Lambert.

18 rated?? More like 15. Watchable but again a tad long. It is very much a Hmmm film.

Almost forgot Piranha. I do like scene where people turn into Pirahna lunch after falling off the overcrowded boat. That noise of those floating eating machines nibbling into people. Great sound effect!!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I saw Hannibal Rising last night... thought it really dragged, and was pretty dreadful overall. Didn't like Gaspard Ulliel who played young Hannibal (desperately trying to do recreate Hopkins manner), didn't buy the whole Gong Li / martial arts section, and there were some very strange accents from the British cast members. Too many knowing nods to bits that come in the later films too. Marginally better than The Wicker Man remake, but only just... I was being generous when I said 2 stars, STun and Mr 12A said it was a 1 star movie.

On the other hand, The Science Of Sleep is excellent, much better than the overrated Eternal Sunshine... go see when it opens on Friday! :)
First things first, stay calm.
Payne
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Payne »

James W wrote:
lupogirl wrote:Just watched Ep 11 and 12. Ooooh GREAT STUFF!!!(So trying not give anything away) :D
Oh yes, this series gets better every epsiode, check the feature in SFX to see what you're missing
Funny, I thought it had slowed down quite a bit, though this weeks ep was a step in the right direction