films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

I have seen two of the most dullest and dreadful films in the last week, and they would be Hannibal Rising (the scene where either hannibal or the guy that was following him was taking pictures with the smallest camera - like the kind you buy at the seaside with pictures already inside, was just ridiculous), and The Black Dahlia (which is a great book, but the movie was stupid. Plus Hilary Swank did NOT look like the dead girl, and what was Scarlett J doing in that movie?).

BUT I did see Hot Fuzz last night, which was very enjoyable with some surprisingly nice death scenes and gore which I wasnt expecting. Nick Frost, and the lady from Peepshow were great with their top notch quips!
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Looking forward to Hot Fuzz - been hearing mostly good things...

by the way - I've mentioned this film a couple of times before, but the website for A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints (released on March 2nd) is now finally live;

http://www.saintsthemovie.com/

Have a great time in Glasgow everyone who's going..!! :D
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
David Hall
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by David Hall »

Saw Hot Fuzz at the ICA thing last week. Fun movie, not a classic but very enjoyable and the Q and A that followed was a hoot. Had a quick chat to Edgar Wright about his upcoming Grindhouse trailer which sounds like it should be a winner..

Also saw Herzog's Rescue Dawn recently, which is enjoyable enough - though it lacks the mad intensity of his earlier work.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Since I'm not ill enough to not go to work any more, I'm (just) well enough to pootle out to Milton Keynes and see BLOOD AND CHOCOLATE. Glossy to look at but not much meat on a 12A. Pretty Bucharest chocolatier Vivian is torn between her traditional werewolf heritage and arranged marriage to Kylie Minogue's ex, and true love with a hunky graphic novelist on the lam for attempted patricide (one of the few plots you won't see on EastEnders any time soon). It's watchable enough in a shiny widescreen sub-Underworld kind of way, but hardly surprising that it's only got a week on cinema release. Not really worth the effort, though.
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

I saw '300' last night. Let me just say it is great fun and a very visual film. Synder shows he can handle himself and is no one-trick pony. Not much on the acting front but the effects are very pleasant. Tracking shots give a sense of battle and boy is it bloody/loud?

Voor
gegsuranus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by gegsuranus »

Ooh. Where did you see 300?
F**k me gently with a chainsaw!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw Hot Fuzz in Glasgow in the biggest auditorium we have ever been in. So much legroom!!

Thought it was enjoyable but not as humourous as Shaun. Simon Pegg does look good in uniform. Again a tad too long. Might watch this again when I am more awake.

Then coming out of the cinema to see real police chasing a lad and arresting him. So much drama!!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Hot Fuzz

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Indeed, whilst I enjoyed it there were slightly less laffs than SotD. The beginning dragged a bit.

Enjoyed the Argento-esque parts, especially the Suspiria style taxi ride into the village.

And off on a tangent - hopefully Argento isn't using those kills from the killers point of view shots in The Third Mother as it's look so cheesy and dated.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Hot Fuzz

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Indeed, whilst I enjoyed it there were slightly less laffs than SotD. The beginning dragged a bit.

Enjoyed the Argento-esque parts, especially the Suspiria style taxi ride into the village.

And off on a tangent - hopefully Argento isn't using those kills from the killers point of view shots in The Third Mother as it's look so cheesy and dated.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Just saw Epic Movie. Best comedy in ages. I could not stop laughing at the gags. 5 star laugh a minute.

Then I woke up and found it was desperately unfunny. With gags that died a lingering death. One film that your sides are safe from. 1 star. More like laugh a hour
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Just saw Epic Movie.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

The forum goes deadly silent. A tumbleweed rolls slowly past.

Epic Movie?

"A laugh-deprived misadventure" - Baton Rouge Advocate
"It calls the very foundation of humour into question" - The Onion
"The cinematic equivalent of a tapeworm" - Chicago Reader
"An unpleasant endurance test" - Film Journal International
"I laughed not once" - The Guide

You can't say I didn't warn you.
First things first, stay calm.
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

just caught the latest (brilliant!) episode of charlie brooker's screen wipe - bbc3 - miss it at your peril!

also the 300

nodded off a bit in the 1st half hour or so - the ladies (and some gents) should be kept interested by the many mucho macho barely dressed warrior types, it's also big, stupid, loud, plenty of crazy monsters, on the whole terrible acting, lots of shouts of SPARTA!!! in a brian blessed style (always fun at t'flicks),plenty of that cgi blood as patented in kitano's zatoichi (ie unrealistic), genuinely un-moving no matter how hard it tries.

in general a fun night out though - you could do worse (epic movie 4 folks sake??)

also saw band of the moment the hold steady at the borderline last night - believe the reviews - just amazing, amazing, amazing - if they play near you kill for tickets.
Payne
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Payne »

They're playing 2 dates nerby and I'm working for both :(
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I was going to see Epic Movie but passed on it simply because of the remarks on this board; I'll usually see anything except romantic slush and kids films but thanks to the warnings on here I stayed home for this one. This kind of thing is too much of a formula now and it's just plain lazy. On the other hand, I did go to Hot Fuzz and enjoyed it enormously, because I think Pegg and Wright have a deep and abiding love for the movies they're referencing and the people who make Epic Movie, Date Movie, Scary Movie, Teen Movie, Horse Movie and the rest of them.... don't.

Hot Fuzz has an incredible cast of big names and in the main it's very funny though it does, I think, go on a bit too long (it's over 2 hours). A bonus for me is that they even managed to track down the trailer music for Lethal Weapon and they've included it on the CD!!!

Stinker of the week easily is Hannibal Rising. I genuinely don't get this movie, since Young Hannibal is nothing like Adult Hannibal and he only has a few bits of recognisably Hannibalian dialogue to suggest he might grow up that way; the rest is just nonsense. It's just a period revenge movie with some sadistically nasty violence and gore. I couldn't fathom Gong Li at all either.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

also saw band of the moment the hold steady at the borderline last night - believe the reviews - just amazing, amazing, amazing - if they play near you kill for tickets.
I have just killed someone in order to get hold of a couple of tickets to see The Hold Steady perform in my local record shop next Thursday afternoon. Paul told me to do it... I'm not going to get into any trouble am I?
First things first, stay calm.