films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Just had a double bill TV fun

Somewhere in Time. Watched for the millionth time. Still gets me blubbering. Excellent film!!

Also watched the first episode of A Town Called Eureka. Mmm not sure about this one. First impression trying to be too quirky. Has anyone see it ?

Listening to Mirwais.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Just saw the Illuisionist.

Thought it was a enjoyable magician love story. Rufus Sewell, Ed Norton and Paul Giamatti were excellent. Quite like the location settings. Some of the illusions were rather good.

One gripe would be the rushed ending.

materializing 3 stars.
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

I also thought Ghost Rider was a good film. I enjoyed it a lot more than Hellboy. The look of Ghost Rider himself was awesome. Though I found some of it a bit confusing. I thought the acting by Cage and Eva Mendes' breasts was very good.

I feel a bit bad for The Number 23! I thought it was excellent. Reminded me of The Machinist, but good.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Heroes/Lost

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Laymonite wrote:Now I've seen the first 3 episodes of Heroes. It's pretty good so far. I can see why it's compared to Lost but I think it's not going to be as good as Lost. Certainly not so far.

This Siler fella seems pretty creepy! My favourite character is the teleporting Japanese dude, he's funny. The blondie cheerleader is nice too, but for other reasons. Though the flying chappie is a bit of a dull drip.

What an ending to episode 3!
From what I've seen (first 4 episodes) Heroes looks like it's going to be a real classic compared to Lost (does anyone even bother with lost anymore?) - for a start there's a plot which doesn't appeared to be made up as they go along. Also far better acting.

Also a pity that Jericho is only on Hallmark. Despite the fact that pretty slow moving I've been engrosed (although I didn't break my no videoing programs* I'm out for rule for the last two episodes).

*Some people seem to spend their whole time watching stuff they've videod - I'm not going to be one of them.
James W
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by James W »

lupogirl wrote:Just had a double bill TV fun

Somewhere in Time. Watched for the millionth time. Still gets me blubbering. Excellent film!!

Also watched the first episode of A Town Called Eureka. Mmm not sure about this one. First impression trying to be too quirky. Has anyone see it ?

Listening to Mirwais.

Ahh Somewhere in Time, I blub at that too!
And it's hello from me, "Hello"

You might know me from such places as FrightFest, Horror Channel, Beyond and many many more!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

I pass over my near empty box of tissues....

Just come back from Science of Sleep.

A very amusing surreal film. Refreshing to see stop motion sequences and not CGI laden scenes. Does have moments of the Moomins and Tony Hart(I know it is going waaaay back in time). The film has more uses of empty loo rolls than Blue Peter.

There is one particular gadget that made me chuckle even now typing this. Not saying what it is..

It is 3 cotton filled stars

Almost forgot Norbit is out this weekend. Mmmmmm
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

wow lupes

you sure getting through those filums this year!!!

good on ya girl!

according to mr r we are now in the process of being bombarded with submissions for this years bash...lips sealed at this point obviously..

it does look as though dario is once again out of the picture for the main event as the new film is due to open in italy oct 31st - hmmm a spooky day eh - so perhaps a year end special - maybe - 1 of these years we WILL get him!

lots of other exciting goings on though, more news when i can (promise xx)
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

just didn't groove with science of...sorry and i love the gondry surreal stuff / brilliant music videos etc

heroes

yeah i'm digging it - finally saw the 1st episode (at last)

probably the most faithful to comic tv series of all time

perhaps they can do watchmen this way, i feel it could never work as a film - alan moore's beautiful structure for the work would never translate to a single motion picture - but i'm happy to be proved wrong.

the only annoying thing is that these folks from around the world erm...usa and japan discovering they have super powers at the same time (and natch all of em pleasing on the eye)
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

The Good Shepherd - a fictionalised account of the origins and early years of the CIA - is way too long and unbelievably dour. Matt Damon plays it dead from the ankles up - he never smiles, laughs or responds to anything, even wife Angeline Jolie (he'd rather hang around East Berlin deaing with Nazi war criminals, the idiot). It's well made, beautifully shot and always interesting; the period details looks spot on, but it's badly in need of some fighting, car chases and/or exploding helicopters. Or a couple of decent jokes at least.

I didn't actually think The Number 23 was, erm, granny pants. That's not to say it was any good; it's a good central idea, though, and I prefer Jim Carrey when he's in serious mode (as he is here) rather than mugging/farting mode. But the whole thing hinges on a massive coincidence that I just didn't buy into. I'm still tempted to give it 2.3 stars though.

Ghost Rider IS pants. Not just granny pants either - incontinence pants. Size 28. Double strength with elasticated knees. Rubber. Pre-stained brown. Bought off eBay for £3.50 plus shipping and they squeak when you walk. This is two utter stinkers in a row for Nicolas Cage (the last one being The Wicker Man): pretty much everything is drenched in computer effects, the flaming skull thing just looks silly, and wise old exposition device Sam Elliott's voice is now so gravelly it goes below the capacity of Dolby speakers to handle. (Okay, I'm not a comic-strip superhero fan; I only went because of the Christopher Young score which is barely noticeable anyway....)
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

streetrw wrote:Ghost Rider IS pants. Not just granny pants either - incontinence pants. Size 28. Double strength with elasticated knees. Rubber. Pre-stained brown. Bought off eBay for £3.50 plus shipping and they squeak when you walk. ....)
Ha Ha Ha!! Very amusing :lol: Your been checking for future purchase!!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Now my head is clearing......

Saw Sunshine last night with big thanks to Soulmining.

Excellent film. Visually stunning. At times sitting there open mouthed by the sheer wonder of what I'm seeing. Great tension building moments. I'm keeping it very vague.

4 glittering stars
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Glad Sunshine is good, really looking forward to that.

Was disappointed today by The Good German and Outlaw.

But I did find a film that goes by the name of "Microscopic Liquid Subway To Oblivion"
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

Into Oblivion Alex, Into Oblivion.

Outlaw sucks. Just thought I'd say that.

Sincerely yours

Voor

edit: Damn...it was to after all. We were obviously hounding you in the resturant and on the train for no reason, Alex.!
Last edited by voor on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

I think I be avoiding Outlaw than.

Watched Ep 15 and 16 of Heroes. Oooh it is getting very exciting. I think I will be watching them again.... Roll on 17!!!!
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Yes, Sunshine is pretty stunning stuff... Danny Boyle has always been good with characters, but here he steps up his game to deliver a real epic which is visually stunning. A tense, intelligent sci-fi film - not the gung-ho action of Armageddon etc - which really makes you think about the bigger picture. Good score from Underworld too!

Also saw Ghost Rider this week which was a pleasant surprise - had feared the worst as I didn't like Daredevil and the trailer looked awful. Thankfully they've obviously spent a lot of time on the SFX since then and it was actually quite watchable... Saw that with The Illusionist which was also a solid film, no great surprises. Was also fun playing the 'spot the bloke who doesn't have a beard or a moustache' game!

Going to brave David Lynch's Inland Empire this afternoon and am due to see Outlaw tomorrow (oh dear, I'm worried now!)

Have got stranded at episode 12 of Heroes since my next batch are badly out of synch... :cry:
First things first, stay calm.