films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Geoff Murphy also made one of my favourite guilty pleasures, the wonderfully reckless Under Siege 2, not to mention handling much of the second unit work on the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy. Eclectic, thy name is Murphy.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

last few days I've seen Poltergeist againfor the 1st time in about 15 years, it scared the cr@p out of me as a kid and at some moments it still gave me the shivers. Also watched the Zombie Dead which was good fun. Critters 4 on a hungover saturday morning was quite entertaining, definitly better than the 3rd one. Just wathced violent shit 2 which still had no story but some sick murders. That Andreas Schnaas is a naughty naughty boy haha.

Also watched The lives of others which was very good I thought, a nice change from all the horror and gore I usually expose myself to.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

giles edwards wrote:Geoff Murphy also made one of my favourite guilty pleasures, the wonderfully reckless Under Siege 2, not to mention handling much of the second unit work on the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy. Eclectic, thy name is Murphy.
he also did young guns 2 which wasnt bad at all

"hey bob"
"goodbye bob" (billy shoots bob with shotgun loaded with dimes)
"best dollar eighty i ever spent"

best line in the film
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Bad Company is a Chris Rock action spy thriller in which Rock plays a street hustler inveigled into a CIA covert operation masterminded by his late identical twin brother. Okay, except that Rock is intensely annoying right from the off, and the best thing about it is Anthony Hopkins.

Some years ago there was a BBC cop show called Second Sight, much like many a BBC cop show except the lead character (Clive Owen) was slowly losing his eyesight and covering it up. I rented Disc 3 for no reason other than "Waitress" was played by someone I used to work with in the murky recesses of the local council about ten years ago. In the event I recognised her immediately, though she only had two lines and was on screen for a whopping eight seconds or so. Weird thing was, I was well into the second half before I realised I'd already seen it when it was broadcast.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Grindhouse wrote:he also did young guns 2 which wasn't bad at all

"hey bob"
"goodbye bob" (billy shoots bob with shotgun loaded with dimes)
"best dollar eighty i ever spent"

best line in the film
Even if it's pure, unfettered steal from Peckinpah's Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid, it's a neat homage, yup. I like Young Guns 2, much better than the slightly limp and awkwardly dated original.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

No country for old men,thought this was great cinema and an accessible coen brothers film,even my mum liked it,i can see where people might feel let down in some ways,we never see what happens to moss,but still superbly acted by all,and just goes to show sometimes doing the right thing can be the wrong decision.
Seraphim falls a hard film to like and to its credit a superb cast well acted great music and cinematography,but just lets the film goer down in the last few minutes.
Shoot Em Up i hated monster man for having the most annoying character in the film,but still this was bonkers fun all round,paul giamatti was just so ott but i loved every silly minute of this film,Moncia Belluci,Clive Owen just great eye candy all round.
The punisher DC cut much better than the theatrical cut and i thought the animated intro worked really well,but John Travolta acts by the numbers, still Thomas Jane makes a great punisher,unfortunately its still a weak 1st entry of the revived/dead franchise.
Dark City
One of those film i hadn't seen in its entirety and its very noir,and its obviously had its influences,and influenced other films too.couldnt help think of the similarity to hellraisers cenobytes,but its not a great dvd transfer.
First Blood i re-watched this and i love it,easily one of Stallones best films,and dates back when he was into acting and not making daft films,rambo's break down at the end is one of his best scenes,rocky is a great film Copland, stallone stole that film away from everybody else, FIST a great film as well.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Just come back from seeing Juno.

Thought it was teenager style version of Knocked Up. Some amusing and at times moving performances. Though I thought the Ellen Page character was a bit too spunky for someone who is meant to be sixteen.

The past few days saw on the big screen:

The Giant Claw. A very entertaining monster film from the 50's with a oversize GM fed looking turkey that looked amusing then scary.

From Beyond The Grave. What a corker to seeing this on the big screen. Stories with a moral theme. Always a treat to see the likes of Peter Cushing. David Warner and Ian Ogilvy.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

nooooooo

much better than knocked up in every way!
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Saw Cloverfield last night which was very good!

They showed the Hellboy II trailer before the movie which looks like it will be good fun and would make a great opening movie to Frightfest 2008!!
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

saw Cronos the other day, not as good as other del toro stuff in my opinion but still a good movie. I just felt sorry for the little girl who had to witness all the stuff the old man went through.

also saw Basket case 2 and 3, and boy they sucked. I love the 1st one, but this was just lame and hell. All them freaks lookedpathetic, the acting was ridiculous, a total waste of time and money. with both movies I ended up using fast forward to find parts that didn't suck. the ending of part 2 was ok and the bit with belial in that metal robot suit was kinda cool, rememded me of Krang form the turtles. But all in all they're two movies that should have never been made.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

A couple of films which were as good as I remember them being is das Kino:

Superbad

Pan's Labyrinth

Behind the Mask.... Lesley Vernon

Flight of the Living Dead (this film went down well with the office DVD swappers)

And then Two Evil Eyes, which I found rather disappointing. Was watching it with a mate before going to see a Stewart Lee show and his comments sum it up: "Is it time to go yet?" Pedestrian (the film, and my mate come to think of it).

Also saw Shower of Blood, which quite possibly features the worst acting ever. The nudity doesn't save it as the wimmin are all pretty unbecoming.

Next up: Control
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Dawn of the Living Dead cost me a whole £1.99 from Sainsburys. It's not even close to being worth it. Cheap Mayan/Mexican zombie rubbish in which a neurotic woman and Joe Estevez buy a desert shack and are attacked by five zombies. Features writer-director-producer David Heavener's children, bad CGI, and some gore barely visible through the murk of a cheap camera.

I only went in for some milk.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

i was invited for Bafta double bill at my local showcase,well when i say local its 35 miles away so without any expectations 1st up was Brick Lane,and i liked this very much,great performances,and this really did suprise me and take me out of my normal viewing.
2nd film This Is England,having heard so much about this film,it was great to not really have taken any notice of that and just sit back and enjoy this film,not easy to watch at times,but just superb acting,and worthy of all it accolades and the good reviews,previouslyi had seen twentyfourseven,and dead mans shoes, a few years back,this is so far his best work.
and all for the stonking price of £3.25 for both films go showcase :D
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Following on from my recent double of Lucio Fulci's entries in the Houses Of Doom series, LoveFilm have finally supplied the two Umberto Lenzi films: The House of Witchcraft and The House of Lost Souls. Witchcraft is a bit of a plod, in which (yes!) there's a witch on the loose in a country house. Overall it's fairly awful with a few slightly surreal moments (a blizzard in a cellar) and, as per the usual second-string Italian horrors, doesn't make any sense.

Lost Souls, though, after a slow start, ends up as probably the best of the series: some geology students stop off at a remote hotel that turns out to be haunted by homicidal ghosts (one of whom has a slight look of David McGillivray about him). Highlights include a Buddhist ghost, a tarantula attack, several decapitations and a pretty spectacular climax. No masterpiece but it kept me entertained.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw Jumper a few days ago. Was so pleased it was short film of 88mins. Promising start and then unravelled into a mess at the end. Seems like this 'super hero' had a talent of sorts that was somewhat unexciting to watch. Jamie Bell easily out acted Hayden Christensen and all those special effects seem pointless. As this film was starved of any decent storyline.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"