films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Grindhouse wrote:Pieces the rise & fall of the slasher film
i really enjoyed this documentary and must get it for my collection,was great to tread the path of the slasher movie again some guilty pleasures amongst the scenes shown.
i thought some of the scenes shown were in their uncut form,and it just makes me want to check out so many of those films again and seek out the ones i havent seen.
I must get rosemarys killer,which i havent seen since the early 80s,and it just left an imprint on my memory fab stuff!
Yup, indeed -- the clips from Last House On The Left are the first time that footage has been passed for the UK uncut. Not sure about the cips from JP Simon's Pieces which are brutal. But...the whole doc was held up at the BBFC for a time while it was awaiting certification. Worked that DVD last year and I'm very proud of it. A doc really and truly made by guys who love this stuff.

Rosemary's Killer/The Prowler is a genuinely creepy picture that really unnerved me when I saw it for the first time a couple of years back. Someone needs to put that out here...
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
Davo
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Davo »

The Blue Underground Region One DVD of The Prowler is pretty good. The trailer is hilarious, it contains pretty much EVERY gore sequence from the film.

Always had a soft spot for My Bloody Valentine too - that hideous old CIC video cover with the gasmask used to scare the s*it out of me as a kid, peering down from the lovely grotty old video shops we used to frequent..

And Happy Birthday to Me, , with another great poster, and those tag lines 'John will never eat shish kebab again'.. gold.

Gone to Pieces is a corking trailer fest indeed, reminding us that frequently it's actually more enjoyable watching swift gore scenes in succession rather than wading through endless slashers (fun though some of them undoubtedly are)..
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

giles edwards wrote:Rosemary's Killer/The Prowler is a genuinely creepy picture that really unnerved me when I saw it for the first time a couple of years back. Someone needs to put that out here...
They have - Optimum put it out last year, "previous cinema cuts waived". You can get it from Amazon for £7.

I saw that at my local, on a double bill in 1987, twinned with Re-Animator (a bloke walked out of the latter when Dr Hill got decapitated, moaning "This is sick! This is sick!".) Rosemary's Killer was one of the best teen slashers I saw around that time, in that it had some genuinely creepy sequences in it and it was made with a degree of skill and care rather than just carving people up. (Zito's entry in the Friday The 13th series is probably my favourite as well.)
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

I also thought the Jason death scene in the final chapter was extended or uncut,compared to the normal version,as the friday the 13th films just suffered at the hands of the MPAA.
Tom Mcloughlins friday the 13th part 6 Jason lives is my favourite out of all the sequels
this is what i wrote about it on tesco dvd rental back in march 06
Well he's back the man behind the mask,jason voorhees is back,and he's bigger badder and meaner than ever,and dont we know it. Somebody actually wrote a decent script for this movie and the director Tom Mcloughlin(director of creepy horror movie mausoleum) cared enough about the direction of this to make it stand out,even though its 20yrs old its still better than any of the later sequels and some earlier ones,with lots of violence some gore and enough menace to have me hiding under the bed,this works to a T. with some cool set pieces of action,and great lighting,the stand out piece is jason in the rv and standing on it after the crash,eerie well lit and jason serveying his domain like he owns it. this came out in 1986 it took 2yrs before it hit the video shops i used to have them all in big rental boxes the art work has changed again,and only the theatrical trailer as xtras,what about the Alice Cooper video,yes the song at the end is sung by Alice Cooper,the makers cared enough to have a song for this film too,so wheres the video,doh just watch and enjoy its even got tony goldwyn in it he's the bad guy in ghost. this is a definite horror franchise high enjoy!
Last edited by Grindhouse on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

I too loved Going To Pieces although was a bit tipsy when I watched it so must re-visit with a clear head.

Gave in last night and saw U2 3D - the 3Dophile in me was stronger than the U2 disliker.

Actually really enjoyed it. Very different experience to the animated 3D films such as Beowulf & Polar Express in that you tend to forget you are watching 3D. Not all the 3D shots work but it definitely enhanced the feeling of being immersed in the concert.

Will be interesting to see what comes along as the 'live action' 3D technique is improved over the next few years.

Can't say I'm a U2 convert but they are a good live act and loved the section of their 80's hits.

Worth a check out if you're a U2 fan or a 3D geek - if you're both, you'll love it.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

streetrw wrote:
giles edwards wrote:Rosemary's Killer/The Prowler is a genuinely creepy picture that really unnerved me when I saw it for the first time a couple of years back. Someone needs to put that out here...
They have - Optimum put it out last year, "previous cinema cuts waived". You can get it from Amazon for £7.

I saw that at my local, on a double bill in 1987, twinned with Re-Animator (a bloke walked out of the latter when Dr Hill got decapitated, moaning "This is sick! This is sick!".) Rosemary's Killer was one of the best teen slashers I saw around that time, in that it had some genuinely creepy sequences in it and it was made with a degree of skill and care rather than just carving people up. (Zito's entry in the Friday The 13th series is probably my favourite as well.)
How the hell did I miss that!? Fantastic! Though I'll probably get the R1 for the commentary.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Play has Rosemarys killer aka the prowler for £6.99
also Happy Birthday to me is 5.99
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Im going to have to investigate my nearest FOPP store they did all this kind of stuff,stack em high sell ,em cheap dvds of horror from the 80s
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Kinky shenanigans galore in Barbet schroeder's Maitresse,a young gerard depardeu,sets about trying to burgle some flats and ends up in an affair with a pro domme mistress,and joins in with the fun,we see all manner of kinky stuff,even a gent having his tackle nailed to a board,its very much a 70s curio, i was upset by scenes with horses in a slaughter house,it seemed pointless and not part of the narrative of the film to show horses being slaughtered,apart from that,its really something to watch for curiosity,mind you a young mr depardeu,was quite handsome.
a film to watch with the story of o,the beast,and other 70s films of that nature ,the more i see of films from the 70s it was very much an age of brave film making.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Ironically, I got a copy Maitresse myself yesterday. One for the over-ready-to-topple "Tower Of To Watch", sure, but I'll make sure it goes near the top!
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Not what I'm watching, but I have been inseminating horror filth amongst my younger, impressionable workmates.... Re-Animator, Cannibal Holocaust, The Devil's Backbone, Hellboy, Solange, Masters of Horror boxed sets and Malfique are all out there. Unfortuantely I seem to have lost my copy of High Tension so can't lend that to the person who specifically requsted French Language Horror.

Also another collegue has gone up in my estimation after she offered to lend me Hostel 2 and Pan's Labyrinth. Obviously I did shout at here, "I already have those you naive girl, now bake me a cake."
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Things Uwe Boll Is Unlikely To Say #52: "I'd like to thank the Academy..."

Alone In The Dark is terrible. But more in the sense that it's not very good rather than actively hateful. In its favour: it moves fast, some of the effects are nifty, I like the ending (even if it's a straight rip from Resident Evil topped off with The Evil Dead). Against it, the more important stuff: the script is terrible, the acting is terrible, the music is terrible. It's never boring, but it is stupid, nonsensical and badly written.

The second half of last night's double-bill has the best title of the week. Torso: Carnal Violence (aka a whole bunch of other titles) is a nudity-ridden Italian giallo from the 70s in which a number of cutesome teases are brutally done away with by a mysterious gloved maniac to the accompaniment by a cheesy-listening score. The killer (masked, of course) could be any one of a string of hunks, weirdos and chiselled gents in cravats, most of whom look like male models. It's entertaining enough but not a top-flight example of the genre.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Bearded Avenger wrote:Not what I'm watching, but I have been inseminating horror filth amongst my younger, impressionable workmates.... Re-Animator, Cannibal Holocaust, The Devil's Backbone, Hellboy, Solange, Masters of Horror boxed sets and Malfique are all out there. Unfortuantely I seem to have lost my copy of High Tension so can't lend that to the person who specifically requsted French Language Horror.

Also another collegue has gone up in my estimation after she offered to lend me Hostel 2 and Pan's Labyrinth. Obviously I did shout at here, "I already have those you naive girl, now bake me a cake."
well you could always lend out salon kitty salo,or even Base Moi to increase your popularity in the office
:shock:
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

3.10 to Yuma much better than i expected,with great performances from Russell Crowe,Christian Bale,Ben foster,and even gretchen moll of the notorious bettie page.
james mangold did a good job with this,im still not sure about Marco Beltramis score though it doesnt come together till the end and very low key.
still it works in the film in places.
Last edited by Grindhouse on Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Dust Devil,been along while since i had seen this,and its wonderfully shot,but a glorious failure,at best.
Hardware was a good small sci-fi horror flick,but theres very little menace in Dust Devil,where there should be nastiness and evil,it lacks,if you like sweeping vistas of land and desert its great,but it just doesnt deliver,anything substantial,that you can grasp or be returned to you for watching it.
all im left with after watching it is what could the director Richard Stanley really do?if he didnt piss people off in the film companies or crew,and had a budget that never ran out.most likely the same kind of films.
Still mushnt grumble!