films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

mamawaldi wrote:Just got back from watching a new print of Dracula at the local Town Hall. It's the Hammer 1958 version. Jolly good fun what, and Peter Cushing was a great, great Van Helsing. Never mind Hugh Jackman's big leather coat and gadgets, Cushing saw Dracula off with nothing more than a pair of candlesticks whilst clad in a snug fitting tweed suit.
Oh, for the simpler times when a local council office might put on the gothic delights of a Hammer great for the enjoyment of residents. Now it's all "raves" and "car meets" and "mash-up crunk-offs" or something.*

Dracula on the big screen is fantastic enough. But what a wonderfully quaint setting. I guess it still looks good as ever?

* Also: we didn't have bananas in the war you know/this used to be all fields/why is everything so *loud* these days?
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

By any standards, the dreaded and once-more notorious SS Experiment Love Camp is deeply terrible. Whether or not it casts a black shadow of despair over the moral values of civilised society I don't know. But it sure as hell cast a black shadow of despair over my DVD player last night. THIS is what they're wanting to stop? Okay, it's cheap, salacious, ugly and tasteless: a grotesque parade of depravity, abuse and violence - well, so's EastEnders.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Finally caught up with Hostel II last night. Though I don't think it's quite as (relatively!) well put structutred as its predecessor -- there're a few clinky edits/transitions making it all the more like a relic of the glorious 70s exploitation era -- overall I thought it was really terrific.

The entrance of Roger Bart and his chum into the complex is the best thing Roth's ever filmed. Ditto the wonderfully atmospheric and Fulci-esque spa sequence.

Deceptively sly and ripe for analysis -- its forthright gender politics aren't going to challenge Catherine Breillat or Michael Haneke but they're something heady to behold in a mainstream horror film -- it'd make a fine sign off to the sub-genre (though, of course, that's fin is never going to happen anytime soon.)
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Finally caught Be Kind Rewind last night. Thought it was rather quirky with a sentimental edge. Some very amusing takes on Robocop, Ghostbusters and 2001. That Jack Black is soo manic. He is like a human tornado!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Third time lucky on viewing Profondo Rosso,aka Deep Red,the 1st time it was late at night & i dozed off the 2nd it was interrupted,tonight it was phones off & dont disturb time.
when i first watched this i dozed off and in the late hours,waking to different scenes(my dvd player kept replaying it),some of it must have been taken in subconciously,as at 14 mins in theres a scene where,i was left knowing i have seen this before,and i was puzzled racking my brains,and it hit me,the scenes at 14mins in when David Hemmings character is walking to the bar,before the 1st murder Dario's,recreated Edward hoppers Nighthawks painting on the set.
for a film called deep red,it doesnt hold back from the opening scene and the parting red curtains,to the back drop of blood red crimson in the opera and behind the stage,to the characters blood,when its spilt,yet theres a lot of black,to counter the red,a film thats complete with characters that make sense,victims that follow suit,and enough gore and deaths to make me squirm,theres a lot going on in this with enough to keep watching and see something new on each viewing,fantastic
Storm Warning not quite in the same class as deep red,but still a fun,splatter fest that would satisfy the hardiest of gore hounds,and keep a smile on everywomans face,female freindly horror at its best.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Just got back about half an hour ago from Northampton Cineworld's final screening of Untraceable: it's just utterly ordinary. No big surprises, nothing great, nothing disastrous, a few nice moments, a score worth picking up on CD sometime, but it's all a big "so what?".

Posters, incidentally, are up for Shutter (remake), The Eye (remake), and One Missed Call (er, remake).
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

El Orfanato saw this on a late show last nite, i was worried if watching this again after seeing it at ff would have a negative effect on how i felt about this film,but it didnt i appreciated it more,still scary as hell,and a wonderfully made film,oh and i cried bucket loads of tears :cry: .
only 6 people in the screen including me
:(
if you havent seen this go see it,you wont regret it :D
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Well yesterday has a triple film day with the ever reliable Cineworld card and saw two corkers and a laughable excuse for a epic.

First up Vantage Point:

What a enjoyable ride of a film. More twists than a maze. Loved the story being told from different angles and this made the film totally engrossing. At times sitting there open mouthed at what was unfolding on screen. Which thankfully the trailer for the film does not show ALL the best bits. My only gripe would be 1 particular character who I was not convinced by.........

Next up: The Orphanage

When I last saw this was at Frightfest., admittedly was mostly tired by the time I watched this film.

This time fully alert. What a amazing film. Beautifully shot, great setting and characters you really felt for. Very much atmospheric driven film. Like previous post. I was whimpering like a baby. The film did remind me of The Changeling and The Haunting(one of my favs)

Then came from cinematic heights to a almighty bump: 10,000 BC

God, from the first word spoken. I thought that is going to be a dirge. I was proved right. Poorly scripted and some tree worthy acting. CGI laden clap trap which made this a epic of laughable proportions. Also so cliched ridden we were chuckling at the end!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

It is the year 2283 and Sean Connery is an exterminator, killing peasants at the behest of a flying stone head, until he stows away in the head and winds up in a commune of immortal hippies and girlies in skimpy crochet blouses. Actually, it is the year 2008 and I'm sitting on the floor giggling at Zardoz. Giggling at Connery running round a hall of mirrors while wearing nothing but red swimming trunks yelling "Kill the Tabernacle!". Giggling at Charlotte Rampling trying to give Connery a stiffy by showing him a mud-wrestling video.

Maybe it's a bit too serious and humourless, and it's really easy to laugh at it. But it looks good and there are some very interesting ideas going on in the movie: it's closer to proper SF than the dreaded "Sci-Fi". A bit of an oddity.

Back in September 1999 I was at a fest in Welwyn Garden City which included Death Walks In High Heels, a 1971 giallo shown in a terrible condition print which broke down towards the end. It was generating a lot of laughs, mainly for the horrible 70s moustaches and even more horrible 70s fashion styles, though I was actually trying to follow the convoluted plot. I've finally managed to see its companion piece, Death Walks At Midnight, and it's equally bonkers, though suffers a little from the DVD being badly cropped from the original widescreen. Model Susan Scott takes part in a drug trial experiment and witnesses a murder while under the influence. The plot gets steadily more murky and twisted as the killer is still out there.... I did like it, from the easy listening soundtrack (memo to self: find out if there's a CD) to the most fabulously designed apartment ever. Only drawback really is the boyfriend character, who's an absolute louse. But fun, and I want to see ...High Heels again.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Richard, you should get hold of THIS double-disc set :wink:
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Took five friends to see The Orphanage at the Barbican yesterday. Like another poster I too was slightly concerned a second viewing wouldn't live up to my memory of it from FF. Whilst the shocks didn't get me this time it was fantastic to hear a half full cinema scream, gasp and wimper in unison.

Almost want to keep seeing it with new audiences just for the experience!

Definitely goes down as one of my fave supernatural spookfests in years and any film which can scare the pants off you and induce teary eyes is a winner in my books.

With cinema audience behaviour being as bad as it is these days I would normally recommend anyone sees a film on a quiet afternoon showing however in this case get yourself off to a busy nightime showing as it renders the audience silent - apart from the screams that is!
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

SPOILER

I missed the last day of the festival last year, and therefore missed The Orphanage.

I'd been wanting to see it ever since and avoided as many spoiler threads as possible but nothing prepared me for it. Currently advertised on TV as the scariest movie this yr yada yada... I found it to be so much more. I wonder how this went down last yr because everyone was in tears in the pretty packed afternoon screening that I went to. And I'm talking grown men crying.

And I also nearly soiled myself when that 'dead' lady with her jaw like the vampires from Blade 2 came back to life for one last scare...

The knock on wood 123 game towards the end was also very well executed. So simple. So creepy.

Easily one of the best movies I have seen in a long long time.
Last edited by STun on Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

STun, just a small point but as you had avoided spoilers for The Orphanage, may be kind to warn others who may be yet to see it, if you are going to put a huge spoiler in the middle of your post.
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

Corrected.
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Cool. I agree with you on that moment which is why I thought everyone should experience it 'raw' :D