films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

streetrw wrote:The only scene where the Dario we know and love actually rears his head is the home invasion sequence, but the rest is sadly a bit blah: it doesn't feel like Argento really wants to be there.
Actuallyu, I'd say the sequence where Liam Cunningham discovers the meaning of the cannon shots and his subsequent trip to the cabin is vintage Argento. Or if not vintage, then certainly a beautifully sustained moment of picturesque tension.

Looking back at an ouevre like that does make one suspect his new cameramen, like Frederic Fasano should shoulder at least some of the responsibility for the recent change in tone of the recent output. But then Ronnie Taylor shot Ghandi and the beautiful Opera, before the totally weird Phantom Of The Opera so...

Be interesting to see what forum folk think of Fasano's input into Mother Of Tears...
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

The Scream Trilogy
Can it really be 12 yrs since scream was in the cinemas and kick started a whole new spate of horror movies,in its wake,well for a film that has little to age itself against it looks surprisingly good,and clever for all its references.
Scream2 the only one of the trilogy i saw at the cinema,the production values seem to have gone up a gear on this one,much slicker than the 1st,and equally as clever,with good use of the score from Broken Arrow.
Scream3 its like all the money made from the 1st two films was not reinvested in this one,the only film that feels less like a scream film, no Kevin Williamson script,and it took 2 yrs to get to the big screen,and that extra time shows,in the end result a film thats offers less than the 1st two.
still the scariest thing in part3 is Courtney cox's fringe,her celebrity hairstylist's least proudest moment.
and just what is it about Neve campbell as Sidney,why does she drive men wild when she obviously doesn't put out,after Billy popped her cherry or did he? she survives each encounter and looks more L word in each sequel,still a good trilogy of films for the shelf.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

I endured Zombie diaries,witnessed Diary of the dead,survived [REC] all without shaky cam nausea until Cloverfield,it just made me feel very nauseous,but i enjoyed it inspite of the feelings of wanting to be sick,great creature effects cant fault it on that at all or sound or just the sheer spectacle of seeing New York being trashed,but thats the good stuff,theres things in this that we have seen before and know whats coming next.
Night vision camera reveals monsters thats predictable to this style of film.
at times its annoying to watch and at others riveting, i watched this on my lap top as it has a large screen,and i thought it was more suited to the style of film making,at least i could pause it and go get some rest,if i had seen this at the cinema i might well have walked out or been even more ill from the shaky cam effects.
i do wonder how much repeat viewing value these films hold after all if you have seen them once,the shocks n scares hold no surprises,theres even less to see on future viewings as the eye becomes more lazy as we know whats coming,and less story to be told.
still the less shaky cam the better in future films for me.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Saw In Bruges last night, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Kind of like Waiting for Godot with added dwarfs, drugs, swearing and guns.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Laymonite wrote:I thought REC was brilliant. I didn't just jump, I literally screamed twice (not like a girl, a deep, manly scream. Similar to a lion.) It wasn't just jump scares though, there was genuine fear and tension throughout. But I agree, please let this be the end of hand-held camera horror films. Strange that it's taken nearly ten years after the release of Blair Witch for this style to become really popular.
Maybe not the end if this get's a release...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9YmQPWndFlM
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

odishon wrote:
Laymonite wrote:I thought REC was brilliant. I didn't just jump, I literally screamed twice (not like a girl, a deep, manly scream. Similar to a lion.) It wasn't just jump scares though, there was genuine fear and tension throughout. But I agree, please let this be the end of hand-held camera horror films. Strange that it's taken nearly ten years after the release of Blair Witch for this style to become really popular.
Maybe not the end if this get's a release...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9YmQPWndFlM
Can't see what the Youtube link is to as it's banned here at work, but there are at least 3 more hand-held camera films on the way... Quarantine (the [REC] remake), DIYer Paranormal Activity and a bigger budget remake of the previous film (by the same company that have the rights to distribute the original - they're even remaking new US films now!!???).
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Bearded Avenger wrote:DIYer Paranormal Activity and a bigger budget remake of the previous film (by the same company that have the rights to distribute the original - they're even remaking new US films now!!???).
Yep, last I heard the original is going straight to DVD - but at least they employed the director to remake his own movie.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

After Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle, Stephen Chow directs in stars in CJ7, where he plays a hard-working father who puts all his time & money into funding his kid's education. And being the poorest kid in school, he's always getting picked on...

Despite giving his kid everything he wants, he finally says no when asked to buy an expensive CJ1 robot-dog, and is shunned by his son until he finds a strange alien object (left behind by a UFO!) which he presents to his son as CJ7... a green plastic ball which soon turns into a cute cgi alien dog.

So this is basically a kids movie... a little bit ET... annoyingly silly at times... and hard to see it getting a theatrical release here. Unless it's dubbed of course, but I still see it going direct to DVD.

It has some good moments, he uses CJ7 to cheat on his schoolwork and in one scene, it shits bullets :D
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Resident Evil: Extinction - Let's bl**dy hope so after another lame episode in one of recent cinema's least deserving franchises. A grab-bag of zombie cliches coated with a glossy xbox finish. Still.....Milla Jovovich has got great legs. :D

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Hugely enjoyable post-modern film noir which glided below the radar on release (in 2005), largely because of studio mismanagement, but thoroughly deserves a revisit. A perfect showcase for Robert Downey Jr's screen charisma - let's hope he gets the success he deserves with Iron Man.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Don't forget the CGI movie of RE is out sometime this year... Resident Evil Degeneration..
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Grindhouse - had already seen Planet Terror (have a couple of minutes been cut - I'm sure some of the minor characters had more lines), but it was my first time for Death Proof. And what can I say - fantastic. Although I'm told that the best bits were cut and my mate was laughing before all the jokes which was somewhat annoying.

Thanksgiving needs to be made in to a film. I'd say the same about Don't, but (a) I'm not sure how they'd make a full film out of it and (b) they'd get sued by all the filmmakers they liberally borrowed scenes from (my favourite being the scary kid from Shock).
Last edited by Bearded Avenger on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Caught up again with Rosemary's Killer, probably the definitive teen slasher cheapie from the 80s which I first saw on a double-bill with ReAnimator. Still creepy, several good scare moments, an effective score, and Tom Savini's gloriously splattery effects much more in evidence than in the film's original eviscerated UK version.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Love, love this picture -- alongside Friday 13th: The Final Chapter, perhaps the best of that series, Joseph Zito was quite the go to guy for slasher greatness in the 1980s. (A pity about Invasion USA, but there you go, still some good Savini gags in the uncut version of that too, by all accounts)

This and My Bloody Valentine are the only two slasher pictures that have genuinely unnerved me. The killer's costume is a doozy of an image, it's unpleasantly (in a "good", effedtive way) nasty in places (riding that good taste line with impeccable skill) and as Richard says, those effects are top notch. Second best exploding head of the decade, (the other, of course, being a Savini triumph as well in Lustig's Maniac Cop.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

SPOILER ALERT

You know what? My Bloody Valentine - the end of the film always send a shiver up my spine. Thr unnmasked killer running back into the mine screaming maniacally 'Will you be my Valentine?' and laughing, hysterical, shrill, beautiful, unnerving - will never forget that. Ever.

The same with Rosemary's Killer - it just builds so beautifully and you gotta love the wheelchair bound pervert, Lawrence Tierney.

Ah, if just one film could bring back that feeling. (Closes that came to was of course Hatchet)

And surprised to your reaction about {rec} giles- if only for the last 20 minutes as it builds onto a crescendo of Lovecraftian proportians - like a good MR James story, it drip feeds you this building fear, that feeling in the pit of your stomach that something is so fucking wrong - but by the time you identify what it is, the whole hell has been let loose.

But I agree, To Let is just stunnning - I mean for TV too. When can we produce such stuff? For Tv?

Sincerely yours

Voor
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

How did this become no1 at the box office? How did this script ever see the light of day?

Yes, one of my last acts in Toronto was to go see the PROM NIGHT REMAKE.

Remake: usually means a remake of something original?

I even got free popcorn with my movie ticket. SALT POPCORN. But, i managed to eat the salt popcorn, i swallowed it, i even enjoyed it. (I hate salt popcorn) Because it was more enjoyable and easier to swallow than this film.

Now, as i get older and the horror genre gets worse, (now it's true, you know it is). I am trying to judge films as fairlyas i can. Even if they are bad, i will now try to find something (no matter how small it is) that is good about it.
With that...

There is nothing, (AND THE JAYSAW MEANS NOTHING!!;) ) good to say about this film.
I can't even imagine a bunch of tween horror remake loving, 'there's an ORIGINAL Hills have eyes?!' kids would see like this!

The first five minutes IS the only acceptable thing in this film. And personally, that's stretching it. And no, i'm not talking about the music! Heavens to god! the music in this film! Gag me with a cattle prod!

*POSSIBLE SPOILER*

In any slasher film normally you have a fague idenity of the slasher/ killer. Sometimes it's easier to work out who he/she/it is straight away. Sometimes it takes longer. And the motive isn't always straight forward...

Mistake one. You KNOW who the killer is! They don't even try to hide it!
Mistake two. You KNOW why he/she/it is doing it already!- the back story in the next ten minutes gives it away!
*Mistake three. The slasher/killer. In most films they look kind of creepy, or quiet. It's not always, but most of the time they try to fool you. The person who IS the slasher/killer looks so freaky it's scary! He looked freaky in 'that thing you do!' They don't even try to hide it!
Mistake four. Suspense- none, likeable characters- none, blood-a tea spoon of blood! (sure, you don't always need it, but come on!)

I would talk about the atmosphere in this film and the other characters, but it's not even worth it!

THIS is why the horror genre is taking such a bad knock of late.

People talk about the video nasties of the eighties? Well, THIS is one of the nastiest films i have ever seen!

They were cheesy and fun! They think THOSE incited violence? THIS should!

Stay Scared people. (if you can!)

Rue-morgue Jay (AKA jaysaw)