films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw REC for the second time recently. Though I saw this at FF Glasgow and had me jumping. The second time viewing was not so effective. Still had tension but watching it and knowing what was coming next. Took away the suspense for me. At one point in the film there was screams from the audience and I was really pleased the reaction the film was getting.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

The Eye
So much better than i ever thought it would be,some quite scary moments,and just the right amount of chills,Jessica Alba was great in this and really held it together,even Parker Posey looked fab,and Alessando Nivola too,was really surprised and impressed,money well spent.
Godzilla vs Godzilla no its not a grudge match, but i watched the original and a week later Roland Emmerichs,version,the 1st is a cautionary tale of nuclear weapons and a nations stance of anti use of them from a country that suffered from them 1st hand,and is a classic monster movie,with thought .
the 2nd is a bad melodrama using Godzilla as the point to set it all off,i saw this at the cinema,and i didnt much like it then,and even less now.how can a formula that works be so diluted convoluted down to nothing.
monster is born,monster seeks city,monster destroys city,man seeks to destroy monster,man = cause of monster.
where the hell did it need a reporter needing a break storyline,or mayor needing re-election,at times its convenient for Godzilla to just dissapear,you dont have the star of the film just dissapear just cos its convenient to the human story,hes the star for F**** sake.
anyway i would like to see it recut, edited better and shorter but thats never going to happen.
it was a superbit disc on an upscaling dvd player and looked and sounded superb,
Last edited by Grindhouse on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

SPEED RACER over-long, some shaky script moments but... pure high energy eye candy.the racing and action scenes were top notch. really good fun and a nice start to the summer blockbuster season.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Street Kings (not named after me, sadly) is a pretty good gritty LA cops corruption thriller with an interesting cast - Keanu Reeves, Hugh Laurie, Forest Whitaker. Enjoyed it, but it's a bit on the long side, and quite sweary and bloody for a 15.

I have to say I liked The Eye as well. It's not as terrifying as the original (which I do need to see again) but it does its job efficiently enough, though it has a few too many waking-up-from-dreams jump moments. I'm squeamish about anything to do with eyes and insertion of things into them so a film about an eye transplant going hideously horribly wrong is automatically going to get a response from me.

And Fool's Gold. Okay, I admit it. It was there and I have no excuse beyond weakness (and it was raining outside). In fact it's tolerable in an entirely passive way - every couple of years a bunch of big stars have a holiday in the Bahamas at the studio's expense and make some kind of amiable, frothy caper nonsense (After The Sunset, Into The Blue) while they're in the area; If Jackie Chan fancies getting himself a free tan I'd put my money on Rush Hour 4 being set in Nassau. This one passes a wet Thursday afternoon in Edinburgh quite pleasantly, though Matthew McConaughey is annoying, and I don't know why Donald Sutherland puts on an English accent in some scenes but not in others.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

IRON MAN

summer blockbuster number 2 ahoy... and similar to yesterdays SPEED RACER it is over-long, but again enjoyable and fairly dark and semi-adult oriented.

downey junior as the titular hero is damn good and obviously milking the role for all it's worth.

too much setting up the origin aside it works as a summer extravaganza - but i think it needs a bit more action.

the last scene/lines are excellent and a real breakout from the usual superhero film mold.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I foolishly opted to see Deception after work this evening. The lazy, generic title is a bad omen for starters. Probably gathering dust in a drawer after William Baldwin & Sharon Stone rejected the script back in 1990, yes Deception marks the return of the "erotic thriller"... Needless to say, it's utter tosh. Hugh Jackman is cashing his paycheck, Ewan McGregor enjoys a succession of one-night stands while thinking of his next bike ride, and poor old Maggie Q tries to keep her Hollywood career aflame by cameoing in her skimpies. Embarrassing all round and I should have known better.

Not wanting to rub salt into my wounds, I decided not to worsen matters by seeing Fool's Gold and went home early instead.

Other films I've seen in the last week or so:

I'm a Cyborg, but that's OK
A departure for director Chan-wook Park from his Vengeance trilogy after saying he wanted to make a film that his 12yr old daughter could watch. I'm not sure this quirky tale of two inmates in a mental facility is quite the answer though. She thinks she's a cyborg and he tries to convince her to start eating again... at times whimsical, at times impenetrable, it's a mixed bag. There's plenty of surreal images including Young-goon going on a rampage as her fingers change into gun barrels and the whole production design is impressive. Overall the story doesn't match up to the masterful direction, so approach with caution.

In Bruges
Plays by its own rules creating some memorable multi-faceted characters, although Fiennes' bad tempered boss is very much like Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast. It's also VERY funny in places with some glorious un-PC dialogue - and don't forget the two manky prostitutes and a racist dwarf. Not sure if the Belgian tourist board would approve, but this is a gangster comedy that actually feels fresh.

Street Kings
Latest collaboration from David Ayer & James Ellroy so - ooh, big surprise - it's another corrupt police crime drama very much in the same vein as Training Day, Dark Blue and Harsh Times, but not as good as any of those films. Maybe it's just that we've seen it all before? It's okay though... Keanu does solid work and there's an impressive supporting cast.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Funny without being forced, it certainly has a high quotient of laughs. The two leads are okay but it's Mila Kunis who impresses as the sympathetic receptionist - if all the girls in Hawaii were like her I'd be on my way to the airport right now. Russell Brand does a good job too, essentially playing a version of himself - I imagine most of his lines were improvised. Whatever, it works perfectly and he's surprisingly convincing and likeable.

Persepolis
Enthralling story of an independent young girl growing up during the revolution in Iran and her time spent in France and Vienna, before returning home where she feels like an outsider. Adapted from two graphic novels the animation is bold and effective and the story is both sad yet streaked with humour.
First things first, stay calm.
Jim Fear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jim Fear »

Just got back from a week in Florida and so I took the opportunity to see The Ruins - and pretty good it was too. They did a good job with the slightly ridiculous sounding plot of carnivorous plants. Theres good gore and its surprisingly atmospheric. Worth a look.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Went to a very bizarre screening of Death Note at the ICA. Settled down in the seat and during the film there were was girly squeaking and high pitched laughter to non amusing scenes. Looking behind us. There were quite a few 20somethings totally glued to the screen. A girl in front wearing ear muffs- we saw this Saturday just gone and it was almost tropical compared with the rain and wind few days previously.

Went in knowing nothing of this film. Only some word of mouth saying it was meant to be rather good Japanese film.. Indeed it was. Rather entertaining and quite a interesting story, with a apple chomping character who would not look out of place in a Tim Burton film. A sullen looking teenage whose first appearance on screen triggered a chorus of sighing girls in the audience.

Though the last 15 minutes or so was a bit prolonged. It was still watchable.

When the lights came up. Noticed most people there where dressed up like Manga characters.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Cinemas this month seem to be having a hard time getting folks in to see films,and you can understand why,when theres really nothing worth watching,street kings,yawn Dark Blue wasn't great,Forgetting Sarah Marshall,Fools Gold,i rarely do comedy,and after seeing Failure to Launch,back in 2006 im not keen to part money for Mconaughey,so many thanks to savage intruder for sending me Flesh & Blood a medieval romp from 1985,not as bloody or as great as i thought but still,it beats some tosh out there,The Motorcycle Diaries,a class act of a film and just tremendous how i missed this at Xmas or the cinema is a crime,a wonderful film,of a historic icon in the making,This is England a very poignant film and worthy of every good word said about it.
a couple of horrors Dead & Buried not seen this since the late 80s early 90s still a rather nasty film,but effective chilling and gruesome to the end,
Graveyard Shift not even as good as i remember but as adaptations of Stephen kings short stories,it does what it does well,and Brad Dourif steals the film
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

Grindhouse wrote: a couple of horrors Dead & Buried not seen this since the late 80s early 90s still a rather nasty film,but effective chilling and gruesome to the end,
I love Dead & Buried but the twist spoiled it for me. Big time.

Maybe spoiled isn't the word, but it certainly made me feel a bit cheated.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

DOUBLE POST ALERT

I just watched a brit indie called Expiry Date which was filmed in my home town of Wrexham, North Wales predominantly with a cast of students from Yale College (which is where I went for a time), I was conviced to buy the dvd by a fellow film fan who directed the documentary on the dvd who I have known since high school.

I didn't expect much at all, in fact the dvd has been bottom of "stuff to watch" list since it plopped onto my door mat around four months ago. Suffice to say I was wrong to wait so long, what I saw was a competently directed, microbudget horror flick which decent acting from local students and a reasonably decent (if not a tad oversimplified) plot.

Speaking of the plot, I'll outline it briefly... A young loser named Reece finds a credit card with a seemingly unlimited balance and proceeds to lavishly spend, spend, spend. Later he and his friends find that there is a high cost of living it large and it will all end in thick red tears.

I assumed the only enjoyment I would garner from this film would be recognising familiar faces but I did thoroughly enjoy this movie. At times it tried to be quirky but just fell short and felt a tad forced (beans?) and the gore was lacking that certain something but this didn't really detract. There was also a nice little twist at the end that I honestly never saw coming, although in hindsight seems a little obvious.

Some great homages to past movies too, in a sort of a Spaced stylee, which were essentially just comedy McGuffins to keep you smiling through the set up.

All in all I would give it a very healthy 6.5/10

Has anybody else seen this? Care to comment?
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Iron Man

Mix in a pair of my fave actors (Downey Jr and Bridges), a pretty solid supporting cast, a smart script with a balance of humour drama and politics and you have yourself one of the very finest Super Hero movies.

Really its up there with Superman 1+2, The Crow, Batman Returns, The Hulk and the directors cut of Daredevil.

Theres alot of heart in this and some great effects. Even the comedy works very well. I never doubted the casting of RDJ one bit and he excels in the role.

If this is anything to go by then this is the strongest start to the summer period ive seen in years. and yes THAT last line kicked ass

Preceeding it was a great extended trailer for Indy 4 which does still look to be the film of the summer.

To go into all my lovefilm deliveries would take too long but damn the Stepfather movies are good. As for Jack Frost 2? has to be one of the funniest movies about a killer mutant snowman and his snowball children ever made
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Wanted to see Dante at the Sci-Fi Festival but it was sold out. Bugger! So instead went to see Flashbacks of a Fool. Really enjoyed this. A beautifully shot film, with a very footapping soundtrack(I do like my Roxy Music). Daniel Craig I thought was excellent and looked subtley rough. Some moving moments and some great acting turns from the rest of the cast. Made this a watchable film.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Iron Man has loads going for it RDJ is great Gwyneth Paltow,looking lovely,Terence Howard is hot as always,though largely wasted,a great 1st movie from Marvel Films,and i stuck around for the scene at the end & encouraged a few other viewers to as well,its unusual to see Jeff Bridges in this role,will watch it again.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Wow, Iron Man has been getting some terrific reviews... I thought it was okay, fun without ever being thrilling. Typical 'origin' story, so no real surprises... Still, Robert Downey Jr. makes for an unlikely but very likeable superhero - excellent casting. I think I'll enjoy the sequel (no doubt there will be one) more...
First things first, stay calm.