films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

I love Kilptrick -- he's in two of my favourite guilty pleasure: David Goyer's Death Warrant and the mighty Under Siege 2:Dark Territory (which has a bevvy of happenin' heavies including Peter Green and Everett McGill). How can you *not* be a genre character actor with a name like Patrick Kilpatrick?

Re: IJATKOTCS (?!??!) -- just brace yourself. It starts dreadfully with the once-classic fade-from-the-Paramount-logo and goes south from there. Just so disheartening.

I think the more adult (and brilliant) Munichs are where his heart and his mind is/should be now. The Jones pictures are pictures by younger men and -- like dancing at a disco -- should probably stay that way.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

I think AI is brill.

But have avoided Munich for no real good reason.

The last film I watched was Enchanted. The Hannah loved it because disney were mocking themselves, I didn't like it because it was boring. Sean Penn-alike Patrick Dempsey was more wooden than ten Keanu Reeves, Amy Adams' eye muscles must have been in such pain from forcing that wide eyed for so long, Susan Sarandon and that guy from X-Men mugs around on screen and don't do much else but at least they are having fun.

There were too many adult winks for the kids to enjoy, and too much kiddy gubbins for me (almost an adult) to enjoy.

Poor effort, but we knew that, didn't we?
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

dangerous_jamie wrote:I think AI is brill.

But have avoided Munich for no real good reason.

The last film I watched was Enchanted. The Hannah loved it because disney were mocking themselves, I didn't like it because it was boring. Sean Penn-alike Patrick Dempsey was more wooden than ten Keanu Reeves, Amy Adams' eye muscles must have been in such pain from forcing that wide eyed for so long, Susan Sarandon and that guy from X-Men mugs around on screen and don't do much else but at least they are having fun.

There were too many adult winks for the kids to enjoy, and too much kiddy gubbins for me (almost an adult) to enjoy.

Poor effort, but we knew that, didn't we?
I loved Enchanted and would like to marry a Disney princess when I am older.

So to conclude; peasants like Dangerous Jamie should know their place :wink:
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

Bearded Avenger wrote:So to conclude; peasants like Dangerous Jamie should know their place :wink:
:P

You've met your match, foul bellowing beast!
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Rogue Good Creature Feature fun. Could have done with a bit more nastiness during the first hour. Last half hour is great.

Carver Completely unoriginal but great gore.

Untraceable Pure popcorn thriller but I actually quite enjoyed it as wasn't expecting even a watchable movie really.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

i passed up my freebie screening to see gone baby gone,just couldnt face an hours drive in crap weather,so consoled the miserable weather with Death Proof,the extended cut,this is much better than the shortened version,still lots of talking,but we see more to stunt man mike,more of the sheriff and the infamous lap dance,QT should have left that in and took out more of the dialogue,then the GH version wouldnt drag so much.im starting to warm to it.
its not the smack you in face style film of reservoir dogs,or the bottom numbing jackie brown,or like pulp fiction, but im warming to it the more i see it,i might even be tempted to watch kill bill all over again as long as i can find a japanese version.
QT still has a foot festish though.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Grindhouse wrote:...i might even be tempted to watch kill bill all over again....
What, what?! The Japanese version is a must (available from yesasia I think, at least thats where I got my copy from) but I'm intrigued to know why you'd need to be tempted to watch it again...

Strange double bill last of Asylum (great!) and....Distant Voices, Still Lives: this second one may be the antithesis of a Frightfest film, but since there are a great many all-round cinephiles on these forums, I'd suggest anyone even vague;y interested in British cinema should lap this up as soon as possible. Simply beautiful.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

More from the legendary, and possibly mad, Jess Franco. Some have been wonderful (She Killed In Ecstasy), and some have been pants (Nightmares Come At Night). Jack The Ripper unfortunately tends towards the latter. Mad Klaus Kinski stars as the mad doctor, hacking up the ladies of the Whitechapel night for reasons I didn't catch. It's incredibly illogical, nonsensical, but occasionally censor-baiting in its killing of naked girls - The Ripper has the habit of slicing off his victim's breasts (though it actually looks like he's providing cherry blancmanges frrom the cake shop). I've no idea whether that bizarre criminological titbit is consistent with his actual M.O., but since the ending veers wildly away from what little I know of Ripper history, I'm guessing it was just put in there to annoy censors. (The BBFC let it through, though.) A few laughs at the stupidity of it all.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

giles edwards wrote:
Grindhouse wrote:...i might even be tempted to watch kill bill all over again....
What, what?! The Japanese version is a must (available from yesasia I think, at least thats where I got my copy from) but I'm intrigued to know why you'd need to be tempted to watch it again...

Strange double bill last of Asylum (great!) and....Distant Voices, Still Lives: this second one may be the antithesis of a Frightfest film, but since there are a great many all-round cinephiles on these forums, I'd suggest anyone even vague;y interested in British cinema should lap this up as soon as possible. Simply beautiful.
well Giles after seeing the uk version of Kill Bill vol1, i didnt like it, then learning that the B&W yakuza battle scenes are in colour,a few years back,im just tempted to go back and watch both parts once i have the respective jap versions,if shogun assasin can be in colour with all the blood spurting, limb hacking in your face colour then so should Kill Bill,even The Challenge with Scott Glenn has samurai sword head splitting action in colour,and thats a top film,& needs releasing on dvd now!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Title of the week goes to The Girls Rebel Force Of Competitive Swimmers ...And the cover too!

This low budget, shot-on-digital Japanese flick is out on a cheap HK disc, and features bad subtitles, Japanese schoolgirl zombies, nudity, lesbians, gore, killer viruses, and er, swimming!

Thumbs up :)
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Indiana jones & the kingdom of the crystal skull.
I had quite low expectations of this film,so let me get this out of the way,its not all bad and its quite fun in places,but and its a big But,this is what happens when you put two guys together who can both direct and produce,at the helm of a sequel,that its a case of damned if you do! damned if you dont,come up with the goods so to speak.
So lets be honest they are not breaking new ground,other films have tapped the vein of indy too much,with all thats gone before,this film really is two guys playing safe,making a movie that they know is going to make money,but also they must have known it was underpar compared to the others that have been previous.
its lost its sparkle somewhere,the quick fire sense of humour is missing,the worthy adversary has gone,the fight scenes with the evil baddies dont seem so evil.
it has it winks & nods to the past films,but has none of the risktaking that those films had,even with the last crusade,there was a sense of fun with tongue in cheek,with raiders and temple of doom it was saturday morning adventure serial time,which is its appeal to young and old alike.
but with the thrills of raiders and temple there was a dark side, the horror side coming through thats done in a way to scare rather than shock, that was missing in IJ&KOTCS.
They could have done a nod to the naked jungle and had the ants devour the soldiers,stripping them clean before our eyes,and the ending wasnt quite as spectacular as it could have been.
if this is a childs first experience of indy with their parents,then they wont really think anything more of it,compared to all the effects laden films in the 9-10 years since the last crusade,but if its some one in their 30s or older who grew up with indy they will know just how lacklustre it is compared to the others.
its a shame that for a film that should have been a major highlight of the summer,its just another in a line of films to get through.

Indy might have battled russians, nazis,nasty indian folks,but theres 2 big hitters out there to come,The Dark Knight & Hellboy 2,both look to have the re-sit value, Indy doesnt have.
McReadys Beard
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by McReadys Beard »

Grindhouse wrote:Indiana jones & the kingdom of the crystal skull.
I had quite low expectations of this film,so let me get this out of the way,its not all bad and its quite fun in places,but and its a big But,this is what happens when you put two guys together who can both direct and produce,at the helm of a sequel,that its a case of damned if you do! damned if you dont,come up with the goods so to speak.
So lets be honest they are not breaking new ground,other films have tapped the vein of indy too much,with all thats gone before,this film really is two guys playing safe,making a movie that they know is going to make money,but also they must have known it was underpar compared to the others that have been previous.
its lost its sparkle somewhere,the quick fire sense of humour is missing,the worthy adversary has gone,the fight scenes with the evil baddies dont seem so evil.
it has it winks & nods to the past films,but has none of the risktaking that those films had,even with the last crusade,there was a sense of fun with tongue in cheek,with raiders and temple of doom it was saturday morning adventure serial time,which is its appeal to young and old alike.
but with the thrills of raiders and temple there was a dark side, the horror side coming through thats done in a way to scare rather than shock, that was missing in IJ&KOTCS.
They could have done a nod to the naked jungle and had the ants devour the soldiers,stripping them clean before our eyes,and the ending wasnt quite as spectacular as it could have been.
if this is a childs first experience of indy with their parents,then they wont really think anything more of it,compared to all the effects laden films in the 9-10 years since the last crusade,but if its some one in their 30s or older who grew up with indy they will know just how lacklustre it is compared to the others.
its a shame that for a film that should have been a major highlight of the summer,its just another in a line of films to get through.

Indy might have battled russians, nazis,nasty indian folks,but theres 2 big hitters out there to come,The Dark Knight & Hellboy 2,both look to have the re-sit value, Indy doesnt have.
Grindhouse I couldnt have put that better myself (mine would have had more swearing in it lol!)
I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
EvilAsh
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by EvilAsh »

Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

All I have to say is "Sigh"
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

I think you mispelt "rubbish".
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

Grindhouse wrote:but theres 2 big hitters out there to come,The Dark Knight & Hellboy 2,both look to have the re-sit value, Indy doesnt have.

Don't forget Hulk 2, that looks good. Though any of this year's summer films will have a hell of a job being better than the brilliant Iron Man.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.