films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

I'm holding out for the dark horse that is Wanted as well.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Laymonite wrote:
Grindhouse wrote:but theres 2 big hitters out there to come,The Dark Knight & Hellboy 2,both look to have the re-sit value, Indy doesnt have.

Don't forget Hulk 2, that looks good. Though any of this year's summer films will have a hell of a job being better than the brilliant Iron Man.

speaking for myself i am not expecting anything great from The Hulk,the ending is bound to be the similar to Ironmans,Hellboy 2 & the dark knight just look awesome.
still there has to be a curveball movie somewhere, a sudden sleeper hit for the summer.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

X-Files 2 maybe? It seems to be getting comparitively little press compared to the other films out this summer... ooh, or The Happening, would be cool if that did...
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Harold and Kumar Escape Guantanamo Bay
Not quite as funny as the first one but still plenty of laugh out loud moments and hectic escapades.

This time they take on the war on terror, the KKK, an inbred cyclops, and a dorky prep head str8 out of the 80s.

Gross out moments aplenty and some wickedly funny jokes based on racial stereotypes.
The story focuses this time on Kumar in his attempts to win back his ex while trying to clear their names, as Kumars Bong antics on a plane have them labelled as terrorists and packed off to GitMo for some Cock Meat Sandwiches.

so many stand out moments, but some kudos must go to the Grape Soda scene, the bag of gold coins scene and the KKK member saying "send all those indians back to africa".

and of course NPH makes his glorious return and theres actually two shocking moments.

The film is strong enuff to stand on its own without seeing the first one, and it only really slows down in any way when G.W Bush is exposed as a pot head, and they could have cast a better actor in the racist Federal Agent role. Theres also genuiene emotion in the finale involving a poem called SQ Root 3.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
McReadys Beard
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by McReadys Beard »

As well as looking forward to Hulk, Dark Knight, Hellboy 2 et al I have a feeling a good "sleeper" hit may well be Tropic Thunder with Ben Stiller and the living legend that is Robert Downey Jr. The trailer looks very funny and the word of mouth it is receiving has been really positive.
I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

I decided to go watch 'Prom Night' for my sins.

Not to give away any spoilers but some people die. It is supposed to be horror after all. There are wounds but no blood. It makes no sense.

I laughed. Alot. They milk the cliched 'closing bathroom mirror cabinet' shots to death.

The screen they were showing it in also had a leak from a nearby toilet or something so the auditorium smelt of s*&t. Just to add to the quality of the film.

I do really want to watch The Ruins though! - saw the trailer for it at the cinema.
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Maybe I was a touch worn out on Thursday night - it had been a very busy day - so it might not have been entirely the fault of The Last House On Dead End Street that I kept struggling to stay awake. This is, after all, a minor cult title with a bit of a reputation. And it's not that bad - a grim, gritty piece of early 70s grindhouse with ambition, in which an ex-con gets back at society by getting together a ragtag film crew and making extreme movies in a deserted building. There's some interesting stuff about how audiences are jaded by mere p0rn, they want something harder, something they haven't seen before. There's also plenty of unglamourous nudity and se.x, and a pretty horrible whipping centrepiece of a dull suburban orgy - ultimately, however, it's just not that good. Bizarrely, all the credits are pseudonyms.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Prom Night

I assume the only resemblence this has to the original is its name and red letter day set up.

Dr. Tun is spot on with the mirrors thing, in fact it should have its own drinking game.

The killer is utterly straight forward and unremarkable. Arnold Vosloo in Diary of a Serial Killer is far more menacing!!! Plus visually its too similar to Sylar from Heroes.

Characters are as bland as its possible to be without being things cut out from a magazine. In fact theres altogether too many supporting players. Plot twists are totally non existent. Theres sonething odd about a Japanese owned studio not wanting to take a swipe at the bizarre rites of passage/Cultural meme the American Prom is. No attempt to mine the whole stereotyped environment of the cinematic High School

But its not really for me. This film is clearly aimed at girls in their mid teens. The BF straight from a photo montage magazine, the zero presence of gore or anything overly concerned with sex. In fact watching this was like being back in 2005-2006 at the height of the PG13 watered down horror phase. This should be labelled a Thriller tbh

The only good things about this were the presence of Quietdrives Time after Time cover in the trailer and the poster.

4/10
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Clive Barkers Lord Of Illusions DC cut on LD
my 1st ever film i have watched on this nostalgia format,so 3 sides to the film,luckily my LD plays both sides,but back to the film.
i saw this briefly on video in the 90s the only thing i could remember was Scott Bakula was in it,and a psycho skinhead,its a pretty enjoyable movie with some quite scary moments,and some bloody bits,not a bad film from Clive Barker,and really quite underrated.
well worth checking out again,famke janssen stars and stephen sommers regular kevin j o conner as swann a magician who has more to his power than he lets on.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

The Mountain of the Cannibal God
Another 70s curio from a genre,that if it rears its ugly head again by film makers it really needs to be more smart about how films like this are made,when i say to folks i like cannibal films,i dont actually mean i like cannibal films,what enjoyment can anybody get from such things?
Theres far too much animal cruelty involved,the storylines are shoddy and seem only there to string the scenes of gore along,and its funny that it seems that it was really only the italians who pushed this genre along,but what i find intrigueing is the thought process behind the films,why make them,even more so why watch them?
but anyway TMOTCG how the hell did Ursula Andress get involved in this & off course Stacey Keach,the acting isnt all bad in this,and this being an uncut restored version,theres some very questionable dodgy scenes,not only with animals being killed,animals being eaten by other animals,but worse :shock: ,it plays like a soft core film of the 70s,and at the end the titles come up and say also involved in this production,which really means,nobodys getting out of this scott free as all involved are named & shamed & quite rightly so!
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

I also forgot to add that the killer in Prom night reminded me of a pissed off Tom Hanks from Philadelphia; sporting that baseball cap etc.
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

I Know Who Killed Me
This film has to be seen to be believed, god knows what drugs the maker's were on.

Lindsey Lohan is a nice middle class daughter who gets abducted by a serial killer with a taste for homebrew amputations. Except Lindsey is also the stripper daughter of a crack whore. Lindsey is then found unconcious with a leg and arm missing. The cops think it's middle-class Lindsey, but she thinks she's stripper Lindsey.

Then there's a bunch of slow-mo pole dancing and Lindsey gets a bionic arm and a plastic leg she has to plug in every night for no discernable reason. Both come from My Name Is Earl's Crabman.

There are about fifteen million red herrings thrown around regarding the identity of the killer. While the soundtrack rips off Pino Donnagio. The script and direction are clearly indebted to 70s giallo and DePalma at his most demented (think Raising Cain)

I wish I'd seen it at a drive-in, Jo Bob Briggs would give it four stars (one subtracted for Lindsey Lohan's obvious no nudity clause). I give it two because it was undeniably rubbish, but weirdly entertaining.[/b]
Vampirella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Vampirella »

I really like I Know Who Killed Me... But I like the different ending which is an extra on the American DVD...
I would rather be hated every damn day of my life for being real than loved for being something I'm not...
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Vampirella wrote:I really like I Know Who Killed Me... But I like the different ending which is an extra on the American DVD...
Different ending eh? Will have to seek that out, is it any more or less loopy than the one they went with? :lol:
Vampirella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Vampirella »

MaxRenn wrote:
Vampirella wrote:I really like I Know Who Killed Me... But I like the different ending which is an extra on the American DVD...
Different ending eh? Will have to seek that out, is it any more or less loopy than the one they went with? :lol:
In the other ending there is another LiLo....

It combines the whole one girl is red one girl is blue... This one is purple and it's random but I liked it... But I'm one of the few who liked the whole film
Last edited by Vampirella on Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather be hated every damn day of my life for being real than loved for being something I'm not...