films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Was Prom Night generated by a studio executive wondering "Hey, d'you think we could get it down to a PG?"? It's the most bloodless movie in decades outside of Merchant Ivory. Pretty young things wander round a luxury hotel while a guy who came second in a Billy Bob Thornton Lookalike Contest also wanders round the hotel. If you've never seen any genre movies before, ever, at all, in your entire life, you might just, at a pinch, think it's okay. If you've seen five genre movies you'll be fed up to the back teeth with it. I've seen hundreds.

Stop me if you've heard this before, but there were these two nuns..... I don't know much of the Marquis De Sade's work, so I don't know how faithful the British film of Justine (aka Cruel Passion) is. This tale has been filmed several times (at least twice by Jess Franco, I think) and is the one about the penniless nuns thrown out of the convent and heading to London to become prostitutes at a high class brothel. One of them embraces depravity, the other suffers it. Sole points of note: some of the enthusiastic whipping scenes have been trimmed, and the virtuous but much-abused Justine is played by one-time nearly-Royal Koo Stark. I suspect (entirely uninformedly) that it does have the ring of the Marquis about it - it's cruel, bleak and ends very badly, and seems to relish the torments life heaps on poor Justine.

Best genre film of the weekend was Kirei? The Terror Of Beauty, a nasty little Japanese item in which cosmetic surgery leads to obsession. The main drawback is the lousy (video) photography, but it's still a creepy, uncomfortable movie with some terrifically horrible moments. Recommended.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Vampirella wrote:But I'm one of the few who liked the whole film
I found it thoroughly entertaining, but I couldn't honestly say I liked it. I'd count it as guilty pleasure.

Then again, I'm the guy who liked Speed Racer.
Vampirella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Vampirella »

MaxRenn wrote:
Vampirella wrote:But I'm one of the few who liked the whole film
I found it thoroughly entertaining, but I couldn't honestly say I liked it. I'd count it as guilty pleasure.

Then again, I'm the guy who liked Speed Racer.
I *think* I have the Alternate Ending saved on you youtube clips.... I'll have a look-see

Well it goes on my guilty pleasure list... Very close to the top
I would rather be hated every damn day of my life for being real than loved for being something I'm not...
soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com »

Id thoroughly recommend Gone Baby Gone. Great little thriller that will be sadly lost amongst the summer blockbusters. Gripping Stuff, and dark subject matter. Cant believe its directed by Ben Affleck. Yes that Ben Affleck.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Urban Legends: Bloody Mary is the odd one out of the UL series because it's the only one that has an overt supernatural theme to it. The first two were bog-standard teen slasher pics (fine by me) and the first one at least was an entertaining if not terribly original effort. The second one was a bit so-what but went through the paces reasonably efficiently.

This one, the last to date, is a revenge-from-beyond-the-grave yarn and it's okay - it passes a painless hour and a half - but ultimately it's nothing more than some pretty people being ingeniously offed, the climactic CG frenzy is silly, and if you can't spot the mystery villain fairly early on you aren't even trying. But a few agreeably nasty moments (in particular a bug sequence which had me looking away) compensate.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

killbot
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by killbot »

giles edwards wrote:I'm holding out for the dark horse that is Wanted as well.
I'm dreading this - are you a fan of the comic? From what I've seen it's going to be Wanted-light.

Saying that, the Russian trailer's pretty sweet.

Last night I watched Stray Cat Rock: Wild Jumbo and it was good. I don't think anyone does exploitation like guys in Japan in the 70s - classic.
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

Oh god , YES! Japanese Exploitation circa 70's : one can never watch enough: Stray Rock, Female Convict, Hanzo The Razor, Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs, Female Yakuza, Black Cats Revenge, Horros Of The Malformed Men, etc,etc.
The NFT had a season last year where they showed one of the Female Convict flicks and one of the Stray Rock ones : absoulteyl awesome.
McReadys Beard
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by McReadys Beard »

soberdave72@hotmail.com wrote:Id thoroughly recommend Gone Baby Gone. Great little thriller that will be sadly lost amongst the summer blockbusters. Gripping Stuff, and dark subject matter. Cant believe its directed by Ben Affleck. Yes that Ben Affleck.
I couldnt agree with you more on this soberdave. I thought it was what I call a proper grown up thriller. Excellent performances (casey affleck is carving out a great career for himself at the moment) grim subject matter, good twist at the end and fantastic direction. A highly recommended remedy for the comic book summer blockbusters.
I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Four of the Apocalypse
I wonder if this film has ever had a Uk release or TV airing?
The 70s provided some pretty strong westerns,this being no exception.
from Lucio Fulci this is one of the last spaghetti westerns,before it all changed,to sci-fi & horror from italian directors for a film that i had wanted to see for some time,its a mixed bunch of a movie.
4 folks are held in jail while the crooked sheriff,ignores the townsfolk rising up against its no good cowboy residents,leaving the four alive,sent on their way,they meet up with a bad hombre Chaco,who feeds them drugs steals their supplies,violates the female character,and is charlie manson on horseback.
a sheriff is tortured by being skinned alive,one of the guys sees dead people & cannibalises another & it has a really weird soundtrack,left over from the 60s no doubt.
it has Fabio Testi,Tomas Milan,Michael j Pollard,who was in Michael Winners Hannibal Brooks with Olly Reed,and Lynne Frederick,who was in the Amazing Mr Blunden & who sadly passed away @ 40 yrs old in 94.
one to watch if a fulci fan or of odd westerns.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Eaten Alive
way back in the 80s cannibal films were a staple diet of video rentals income,my 1st interest in this genre stemmed from a family member telling me about them.to scare most likely,then they all but dissapeared from the shelves till around 89 early 90s saw some heavily cut video releases on the elephant label,which made no sense at all.
so along comes a book in the late 90s meat is murder,on films all about the cannibal genre.move ahead a few years and Eaten Alive is on my dvd player,well its the worst one i have seen yet,bastardized film making in its lowest form,culled stock footage from other films,more animal scenes and cannibalism at its most disgusting,using the backdrop of the jones town massacre,and the worst acting ever seen to be believed.
the women are just there to be used & abused on screen & have no purpose other than that!
Mel Ferrer soils his acting reputation further by being in this,this really is a curio of that time,and should stay that way.
The only saving grace is i paid F*** all for it,but i would like all those minutes back. :evil:
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

streetrw wrote:Was Prom Night generated by a studio executive wondering "Hey, d'you think we could get it down to a PG?"? It's the most bloodless movie in decades outside of Merchant Ivory. Pretty young things wander round a luxury hotel while a guy who came second in a Billy Bob Thornton Lookalike Contest also wanders round the hotel. If you've never seen any genre movies before, ever, at all, in your entire life, you might just, at a pinch, think it's okay. If you've seen five genre movies you'll be fed up to the back teeth with it. I've seen hundreds.
Agree there. Was expecting bloody deaths and zilch. The only few saving graces it is not a shot for shot remake. The main characters weren't interchangable and made them at least solid characters. Yes very cliched and as above stated seen it all before.

So agree about the comments about Gone Baby Gone. Really enjoyed this very dark, quite current and the story that twists and turns. Some really strong perfomances. A film that leaves you asking yourself a certain question.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

anticipation for the Hulk at peak!!!

The Condemned
Stunning Steve Vs Vinny Jones!
A solid action flick with a straight forward set up. 10 death row convicts slaughter each other within 30 hours for the enjoyment of internet subscribers.
The action is shot with a hint of shakey vision but with enough sense to ensure we never lose track of whats going on.
The film offers no traditional comic relief and is all the better for it.
Events take a much more sinister turn in the final moments as the "winner" of the contest decides its time to turn his attentions to those he considers have exploited him.
OTT heroics are in short supply and Steve Austin proves to be the more interesting actor involved the recent WWE movies.
Its a good film yet still could have been just a little better, a little more brutal, a bit more stylised etc etc. but budgets affect these things
Vinny plays Vinny as usual, but here its a really dark take on his persona and he is a genuienley hateful villain. this film should see Vinny succeed where poor Craig Fairbrass failed.
The point of the movie is a stale one and not too subtley handled, but it is hard to care about issues of exploitations when the people being killed are people who happily slaughtered innocents.

FreeFall
After defeating aliens in his jumper Eric Roberts is still not satisfied so decides its time to start jumping off cliffs in beautiful locations.
It isnt long however before Eric roberts decides its time to bed that lovely photographer.
Said photographer then has a secret list of undercover agents stuffed into her head via hypnosis.
at various points incompetant gunmen try to kill her for this list, little knowing theres no practical list to obtain.
Eric Roberts rather liked her so thinks it only fair to protect her.
The plot is convoluted and confusing, Jeff Fahey has something to do with it even tho he runs a wildlife mag.
Some people get kicked off cliffs at the end. Roberts gets the woman which is only natural as this is a 1992 effort when he was buff!!!!

its ok, nothing more nothing less. i was hoping for a cheesy mix of Romancing the Stone and Drop Zone though. At least it wasnt another Till There Was You.
There is some stunning scenery and the picture quality is fantastic for such a low budget under the radar movie.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I just wanted to say that I haven't seen any movies in the last few days, but this thread is a useful source of recommendations (and non-recommendations), and will therefore be adding The Condemned to my rental list.

Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

[quote="ghouldrool"]anticipation for the Hulk at peak!!!

The Condemned
Stunning Steve Vs Vinny Jones!
A solid action flick with a straight forward set up. 10 death row convicts slaughter each other within 30 hours for the enjoyment of internet subscribers.
The action is shot with a hint of shakey vision but with enough sense to ensure we never lose track of whats going on.
The film offers no traditional comic relief and is all the better for it.
Events take a much more sinister turn in the final moments as the "winner" of the contest decides its time to turn his attentions to those he considers have exploited him.
OTT heroics are in short supply and Steve Austin proves to be the more interesting actor involved the recent WWE movies.
Its a good film yet still could have been just a little better, a little more brutal, a bit more stylised etc etc. but budgets affect these things
Vinny plays Vinny as usual, but here its a really dark take on his persona and he is a genuienley hateful villain. this film should see Vinny succeed where poor Craig Fairbrass failed.
The point of the movie is a stale one and not too subtley handled, but it is hard to care about issues of exploitations when the people being killed are people who happily slaughtered innocents.

Just thought i would say i didnt like the sadistic vinny jones,yet again being a brit who's nasty and being sadistic to the female convict on the island,its just the tone of that film is quite nasty,maybe thats the point,but its no Turkey Shoot,and steve austin really is stone cold,and thats just his acting.

ps maybe i have watched too many cannibal films the past few days :( still have deep river savages to go
killbot
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by killbot »

Head

Brilliant as always - The Monkees, Frank Zappa and Jack Nickleson - nuff said.