films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

The Incredible Hulk - Enjoyed this, not up there with the best of Iron Man but still good stuff...
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

HULK SMASH

While i still feel the Ang Lee Hulk is a marvelous movie (see what i did there), this not-sequal-but-might-as-well-be gives us everything that one lacked.

This Hulk looks much closer to how he has looked in the comics for the last decade, this really is a beautifully savage looking beast. The pace is much quicker, the characters are less interesting though. Humour flows naturally at points and there are flashes of great imagery.

Liv Tyler simpers and resembles a puppy, William Hurt is given a much worse interpretation of Thunderbolt, and Norton while more personable than Bana is still struggling outside of the art house environment. But he does the job well. Tim Roth gives us renta goon 101 so we are on safe ground with him at least. in fact he is more menacing looking as Emil than as Abomination which sadly recalls the spew that was Dr Smith in Lost in Space.

Interesting how the main three were all big hot things in the 90s yet found themselves less celebrated this decade.
Not sure i liked the casting of the guy who will become The Leader.
watch for the inclusion of McGee!

The story is thin without any of the deeper themes the other Hulk mined which balanced its own thin story. No bravura performances like Nick Nolte's. But we are compensated by a few more action scenes and more displays of the Hulks powers. However for all its pretences this still feels like a natural sequel, its own spin on the origin isnt fleshed out enough for it to feel relevant. So ignore it really.

The origin of The Abomination subtly hints at the coming Captain America movie and this time the Avengers reference, and appearance by Stark, isnt left for after the credits. smart move.

Lou Ferrigno and Stan Lee once more cameo and this time Ferrigno plays the Hulk once more. Only this time its voice only. Even Bill Bixby appears.

The requirement for Comic Book movies to end in a massive slugfest is more than fulfilled. For all the intellectualising done over Superhero comix the majority of them are still just excuses to set up fights between big fuck off monsters. And this ones could have been better and could have been worse. in incident and action its better than Iron Mans finale but it lacks the personal edge that one had. IM is def' the better movie overall but this is a respectable companion movie.

The rumoured 1hr+ extra footage is evidently true considering the amount of footage missing from the trailer.

And to those curious.. yes the Hulk does belt out his catchphrase!!!

overall a good night out at the movies, but they really really need to ban the phrase "is that all youve got" from movies... and this one has it twice!!
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Kill Bill vols 1&2
the 1st time i saw KillBill vol1 whatever enjoyment i had from the film,was swiftly taken away,with the house of leaves sequence in B&W,although it was done for censorship reasons,it just took away from the film.
i had forgotten how great this film sounds,just so clear and superb,with a great soundtrack to some superb scenes,Uma looks great,and its a great homage to all martial arts samurai movies.
Vol 2 is much a more character driven, dialogue film,slower in tone.but with this feels very much a QT film,Vol1 doesnt it flows so fast its pace i fast,and feels as though all the dialogue was sucked out and put into vol2.
great films but im more inclined to rewatch vol1 more than 2.
and if you havent seen the jap version on dvd, do so as you wont feel like watching the western version again
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Anotehr video nasty bites the dust with Madhouse, which is (like most of the items on the video nasty list) pretty ordinary. Mad woman escapes from asylum to get at her non-mad twin sister; several people get killed by an unseen maniac with a killer dog. It's all fairly blah and nonsensical, and maybe it was just the DVD disc I was watching but I had to rack up the sound to maximum to hear the dialogue. Not recommended.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Is it Happening? No, it isn't...

M. Night Shyamalan follows the misfire of Lady in the Water with a return to his usual style. Great premise, and some very good scenes... yet plenty of utter bilge, and I spent half the film waiting for Scary Movie 5 to rip the sh*t out of it (yes, it got that desperate)

Hmmm, frustrating :evil:
trixybella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by trixybella »

Today I took a break from horror and watched two totally off genre films (so apologies this is in the general horror chat section but there's nowhere else to put this)

I kicked off my day with St. Trinians and yes I can hear the groans from here. However, I enjoyed this completely far fetched over the top piece of fluff, right up intil they introduced Girls Aloud. At which point I both inwardly and outwardly groaned simultaneously. Not a mean feat I can tell you.

This afternoon, partly in celebration of finally having completed uni and partly just because I can't face tidying the carnage that is my bedroom I watched Charlie Bartlett. This film is very reminiscent of Chumscrubber on oh so many levels which I fell in love with at the allnighter back in 2006 (seems oh so long ago).. A similar thing happened with this one. Robert Downey Jr is great fun in this, as are the rest of the cast. I genuinely laughed out loud several times and even had a girly tear at the final song. Worth a nosey I would reckon..........
Have you heard of my friends capital letter and comma?

No? Well perhaps you should try them sometime... correct usage will do wonders for your social life.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Finally saw Hatchet, very much enjoyed it. It's made with clear enthusiasm, and has a better than average cast (although I could have done without England's cameo). Nice mix if humour and OTT gore.
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

Quite a cool week for the cinema this week. Have to say that i thought THE INCREDIBLE HULK was great fun - pacey, nice CGI, good casting. It also had a spirit of fun that was sorely lacking in the beautifully rendered but self-serious and frankly dull Ang Lee HULK. Loved the stretchy pants joke and it was reverential to the old TV show to the point of touchingly recycling the old "lonely man" music. As for THE HAPPENING....i'm a big M Night fan (Yes, i even liked LADY IN THE WATER!) and no one was wanting to like this more than me. But although i didnt DISLIKE it, its truly a bizarre movie...great genuinely creepy moments of mass suicide and sudden death alternate with some of the worst acting and dodgiest dialogue i have seen in a major studio release for sometime. Cool premise, nice bleak 70s horror vibe, but certain scenes were so "off" that you could almost hear the jaws drop in the cinema. Still, i had fun with both these movies, so a good weekend at the fleapit overall.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Have been starting to catch up with the After Dark Horrorfest flicks, which have kicked off this week with:

Unrest - initially thought there might be hints of Anatomie but more supernatural... great setting (those loooong corridors) but loses it towards the end and the final "twist" is just a plot hole from 5 mins before...

Re-Incarnation is much better, though many are tired of the J-Horror look ghosties by now. The premise is intriguing but possibly could have had more made of it, but how could any kid like a doll that looked that creepy?

Dark Ride is a Scream-type slasher with some decent moments of comedy but in its attempts to flesh out characters makes all of them unlikeable to one extent or another. Great setting again with some impressive sound work, but again the twist falls kind of flat and it just kind of ends flat.

Thats the first 3 down :)
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

The Happening

Looked great, especially Zooey Deschanel.
But was generally tripe.

Also, was I the only person who saw that the person driving the red 4x4 that Leguizamo gets in was Brian O'Halloran (Dante from Clerks/Clerks 2)?
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

can you believe we're heading for a quarter of a million views on this thread..?

well i've been buried in submissions for the last month so it's been tough to see anything (other than the couple of hundred shorts and features that i can't talk about) - but i watched 2 of the 6 FILMS TO KEEP YOU AWAKE tv series

SPECTRE which was ok, a little slow and would have worked better as a 30 minute piece.

TO LET fabulous, far fetched, frightening, jaume is such a precision shock director. a great televisual terror treat!
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

The Happening
Made in the same style as Signs with even more emphasis on the humour within the quirky performances. Dialogue is delivered in a very deliberate manner. The film seems to think its more important than it is. The first half is actually quite good as the structure of society begins to fracture. some of the suicide set pieces being quite cool.
You will feel cheated come the end credits.
I sense an unrated dvd though.

Gone Baby, Gone
Much less haunting than Mystic River but only in that is much less infuriating.
The moral question at the core of the movies final scene is one that will inspire much debate a while after the film ends. Personally i felt the right decision was made as what was done was abuse of power and hypocrisy at the highest level.
The chavesque world is portrayed as is with no moral judgements made. Unlikeable characters abound on both sides of the social divide with Casey Afflecks PI straddling both worlds. That he sticks clearly to what he believes is right doesnt endear him to everyone. In fact he pays a very high price for it.
A fantastic movie over all.

Cutting Class
Dull as ditchwater 1989 probably-slasher movie. made with that late 80s primary colour pastel feel this has a tone thats all over the shop. Trying to be humours and hip yet just ends up being annoying.
Roddy McDowell gets a small role as a lecherous principal, Brad Pitt takes it all too seriously, and Jill Scholen gives us the usual final girl thing.

Beyond Bedlam
I do feel sorry for Craig Fairbrass, he had a presence on screen and a good line in sarcasm. A convincing UK tough guy without the camp of Vinnie Jones.
Stuck in utter shit like Proteus and this turd.
Keith Allen is as talentless as they come forming a tag team of turgidness with Liz Hurley.
The story is nonsensical but i think its about a drug making those that take it sahe the same nightmare and those sleeping near those dreamers killing themselves. i think.
A poor Elm St wannabe that isnt even as good as the awful Dream Demon.

Human Lanterns
Bonkers Shaw Brothers movie. Kung Fu revenge movie mixed with a splash of icky gore as a mopey ex kung fu master gets revenge on the guy who defeated him by making lanterns out of their loved ones.
several fights, great sets, interesting plot all help make this a decent HK flick.
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

ghouldrool wrote:The Happening

I sense an unrated dvd though.
So do I - In America this was hyped as M Nights "first R-Rated movie", but here in the UK 20th Century Fox gave us a censored version!

The bbfc list the 15-rated movie as "passed with no cuts made" - so I'm guessing 20thcf pre-cut to avoid an 18.

Saying that, the film still worked in a leave-it-to-imagination type way as most of the death scenes are now bloodless, but I wonder if M Night knew about this move? The US, Canada and Australia all got the uncut version, and the extra footage can be glimpsed in this US Red Band trailer:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ioG7lMvP5vA
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

This week's bit of Japanese strangeness is Organ, which starts out as a conventional cop thriller about Yakuza organ harvesting but swiftly heads south into the land of WTF. Why is that man being kept in a greenhouse after having his legs cut off? What's with the toilet guys (and the woman who relieves herself on a bit of newspaper next to the bed)? Why the schoolgirl killings? Is this supposed to make sense? It's mad as a bag of very mad things, and not in a good way.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

I hated this when I saw it in the 90s -- and I'd had such high hopes as well seeing as it was directed by the female lead in the Tetsuo films. I foolishly thought it might be infused with some of that series' amazing visuals and delirious charm. I was wrong. It feels like incoherent Tsukamoto-lite...
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]