films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Satans Little Helper is a good little movie, helped no end by that olde worlde outfit on the girl.

The Promise
A cheaper looking wuxia movie than we are used to but one with a much more involved plot. Not as beautiful to look at as Hero, Flying Daggers or the stunning Golden Flower. It does feature plenty of great costumes and sets.
Effects are really poor though and undermine the movie, most notably in the first major action scene.
If anything the film is a lot closer to films like Saviour of the Soul and Zu Warriors (80s) then the more politically charged Hero/Golden Flower. The fantasy elements are integral to the story rather than just visual flourish.
I blind bought this on dvd from cd-wow in 2005 and only recently motivated myself to actually watch it- which was much he same as Human Lanters which was in my 2005 FF goodie bag!!!
(Also when i name check Hero i refer to the proper version of the movie, the All Under Heaven one, not the bowlderised Our Land crap that got released in the west)

April Fools Day
The remake. Yes i know there was a strand or topic about how bad this was and i didnt listen. And im quite glad i didnt as this was not completely awful.
An in name only remake that plays like an episode of the OC or some other soap concentrating on that vile sector of society.
Some decent comic relief comes from the utter idiot wannabe politcian. nothing surprises plot wise until the very last minutes. The first twist is obvious considering the title, its the second that is a surprise.
Visually dull and clearly never intended for cinema (Prom Night for all its fault actually looked like a film) these model/actors are just about adequate.
If its ever on TV or Sky movies then i recommend a glance at it, only remind yourself its not a "horror".
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
arrangedletters
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by arrangedletters »

the happening avoid it. thats prety much all of a review it deserves. what ever it was trying to achieve attack of the killer tomatoes did it better.
[img]http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/48648/1218304903/queenvicassshakemk2.gif[/img] My "trying to get a piece of short fiction published in People's Friend magazine" Blog!! www.arrangedletters.blogspot.com
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

giles edwards wrote:Confucius (or at least Egg Shen) say (in vaguely un-PC fashion): "any Jeff Lieberman veeeeeery good Jeff Lieberman."

A good friend of mine (and Frightfest's!) actually got me a sales card for Satan's Little Helper on which Lieberman has written "To Giles, Don't Eat The Blue Acid!! Jeff". Which is all kinds of great.

The man is a curiously unsung auteur. Cthulhu knows if Kevin or anyone can find them imid the ones-and-zeros, but in the offline recesses of the Gore In The Store archives, I wrote a lengthy piece on Lieberman and Squirm.
i had jeff leibermans blue sunshine on video,which was a rather bizarre movie,bald psychos,and strangely had the mvie tie in novel too.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Goosebumps
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Goosebumps »

The Happening... I want my 90 mins (felt like more) back please!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

AVPR
my freebie 2disc dvd arrived today :D so if i was 15 i would no doubt love this film,well im in my thirties and still thought it rocked,predators got a brand new bag,and in that bag is some top gadgets and weapons, a whip thats cuts aliens in half,a weapon that resembles something out of krull or the game dark sector.
The brothers strause took some hard knocks for AVPR but actually they should be commended for at least providing a film which is far better than AVP and all its child freindliness,kids get killed,head are blown off,limbs are melted,for a film called AVPR it does exactly what it says,some of the effects could have been better,the films is very dark in its picture,the music by brian tyler feels like its not his work,but just taken from the other films.
overall it works well and was a load of fun to watch.
along with Rambo these too would play well together,how could any thing be more grindhouse than men in monster suits fighting it out,and stallones take on cannibal holocaust.
trixybella
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by trixybella »

The Happening made me laugh extremely hard.

Marky Mark and John Cena look more like each other every single day and their acting gets similar in hideousness too. At least John Cena actually means to be terrible.

Anyway, wrestling/Wahlberg comparison over, the movie itself is hilarious. For a film that's meant to be serious it did itself little justice. John Leguizamo was severely underused (I'm biased) and if any film should win an oscar for best use of childrens toys it would be that film, for the mood ring.
Have you heard of my friends capital letter and comma?

No? Well perhaps you should try them sometime... correct usage will do wonders for your social life.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Crimson Tide
its always good to go back and revisit this film before everything went to pot with Tony Scotts films,domino, man on fire,dejavu,not that those last 2 are bad films,but its the editing,with crimson tide its pretty darn near perfect,and as i hadnt played this in years,it looks fab sounds superb,superb performances from all in this sub action drama,and still looks awesome on a large screen.great movie
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

yeah.. The Happening shouldn't really be called so, cos nothing much really happens (not that anyone can make any sense of anyway) - and just watched some trailers for it, where there is far more seen of the death scenes than in the film..what's with that??
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Grindhouse wrote:i had jeff leibermans blue sunshine on video,which was a rather bizarre movie,bald psychos,and strangely had the mvie tie in novel too.
Yeah, I sill have my puffy big box ex rental version of it -- groovy blue syringe cover. Need to pick up the R1 Special Edition some time soon...It's a great thriller. Hitchcock-by-way-of-Cronenberg.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
McReadys Beard
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by McReadys Beard »

Grindhouse wrote:AVPR
my freebie 2disc dvd arrived today :D so if i was 15 i would no doubt love this film,well im in my thirties and still thought it rocked,predators got a brand new bag,and in that bag is some top gadgets and weapons, a whip thats cuts aliens in half,a weapon that resembles something out of krull or the game dark sector.
The brothers strause took some hard knocks for AVPR but actually they should be commended for at least providing a film which is far better than AVP and all its child freindliness,kids get killed,head are blown off,limbs are melted,for a film called AVPR it does exactly what it says,some of the effects could have been better,the films is very dark in its picture,the music by brian tyler feels like its not his work,but just taken from the other films.
along with Rambo these too would play well together,how could any thing be more grindhouse than men in monster suits fighting it out,and stallones take on cannibal holocaust.
And there I was thinking you had great taste in films Grindhouse! I thought this was an awful movie, the constant references to the previous Alien movies (calling one of the leads Dallas, actually using some of the direct quotes from Aliens) just made me yearn to watch those original films again. I agree that the directors have tried to make a proper 18 rated movie but that is the only positive thing I can say about it. Both PW Anderson & The Strause Brothers have put the final nail in the coffin of these iconic movie monsters!
I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

McReadys Beard wrote:
Grindhouse wrote:AVPR
And there I was thinking you had great taste in films Grindhouse! I thought this was an awful movie, the constant references to the previous Alien movies (calling one of the leads Dallas, actually using some of the direct quotes from Aliens) just made me yearn to watch those original films again. I agree that the directors have tried to make a proper 18 rated movie but that is the only positive thing I can say about it. Both PW Anderson & The Strause Brothers have put the final nail in the coffin of these iconic movie monsters!
Aww Mcready you got no love for AVPR? not even when the kid gets it and daddys arm gets melted off.
its comic book nonsense and fun it is too,cool weapons loads of aliens running amok,folks getting killed,im easily pleased but it just couldnt fail to do just that.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

Breakaway

In order to fund his lifestyle of wearing jumpers, beating singers at life, crying, jumping off cliffs and being generally fantastic Eric Roberts needs the money.
Sadly now Eric Roberts little kid is dying and in america that means he needs loads of money.
However Eric Roberts is also an ex convict bank robber so cant get insurance. Naturally he has to rob a Mall on Xmas eve.
But Dean Cain and the rather lush Erika Eleniak are on hand to confound our Eric.
A really average Die Hard clone made for TV. It even includes the grumbly cliche of the one person the hero trusts being in on the scam. Dean Cain decides not to use his superpowers and looks grateful to no longer having to be pestered by that giant snake , but still gives us the same old stuff.
Things dont go well for Eric but dont worry kids.. im sure he will live to continue his adventures :wink:
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Speaking of Die Hard clones, has anyone else seen a picture called Lethal Tender? In said film, the the mighty Jeff Fahey as the hero squares up to and dependably brilliant Kim Coates as the Hans Gruber-style villain who decides to take hostages inside....

....*a water purification facility* (yes, as inane as it sounds).

I beginning to think I imagined it a bizarre (but brilliant!) daydream.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

nope not seen em
keep meaning to get that one with vinnie jones and segal on a submarine,submerged and that one with the vinne again on an oil rig with eddie griffin Blast both anthony hickox films.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

The Kite Runner
i hadnt read the book of this film,but this is a great film,though i didnt like the main character,but finally he comes good,and stands up for himself and his nephew.
a great film superb story.