Death Race

The 2008 offerings once more walk among us.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

This was really good fun and the perfect way to end the festival
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I loved this, another must own for the collection and great fun. Further solidifies my opinion that Paul WS Anderson is a dude and people are just mean!

The shots of the island and acompanying music really reminded me of the feel of resident evil where you get the shots of the hive underground.

Felt like the xbox 360 game 'Full Auto' or the playstations 'Vigilante 8' or 'Wipeout' and I am extremely grateful it wasn't a 'how many points do I get for running over this old lady' type affair. Roadkill just makes me wanna puke, no need.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
valido
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Death Race

Post by valido »

MaxRenn wrote:Probably Paul WS Anderson's second best film after Event Horizon
I'd remove "probably", but I want to re-watch Mortal Kombat first :wink:
zoltan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by zoltan »

Had really low expectations of this as i don't normally go for pure action movies, but i enjoyed it immensly, christ even the acting and the plot were fairly decent.
Apart from the opening scene where the cars looked like they were being raced on scalextrix, the rest of the movie was brilliant.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I thought this was going to be mindless fun but it was so much more fun than I expected... and I was really pleased that the majority of the audience responded to well to it, I was expecting more people to complain about it!

The perfect closing film after a heavy weekend of viewing.
First things first, stay calm.
Gungrave
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Gungrave »

I'm cringing writing this...I actually liked a Paul Anderson movie...gulp!!

Awesome, no other way to put it. Brutal, cheesy, LOUD, eye popping and adrenaline pumping!

I thought the cast were perfect for the one-liner script and Statham really is an action hero with few matches these days.

One I'll be watching again. God that was painful to write.
The Power of THE RIFF compells me!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Gungrave wrote:I'm cringing writing this...I actually liked a Paul Anderson movie...gulp!!
Me too - I feel your pain! :D
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

I am afraid, I am one of those people who did not really get into the film until near the end.

Not a huge fan of car racing type films Even though it had Jason Stratham looking very nice. Wasn't really that impressed by it.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

Can anyone remember what that brilliant Joan Allen line was? Something like "don't f*** with me or you'll be sh**ing on the sidewalk".

EDIT: Never mind, I just looked it up on imdb's memorable quotes. It's "Okay you, cocksucker. F*** with me, and we'll see who sh*ts on the sidewalk"
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
psychobilly
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by psychobilly »

OMG this totally sucked, why do they play this hollywood tripe i do not know, it wasnt even very horror really.

noticed loads of people off the streets came in for this one and left before the credits even got going,
give me bubbas chilli parlour any day

TRIPE
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Big dumb fun, and great to see a car film that actually does car stunts with real cars at speed...

Easy way to separate it:

If you're with an audience like FF - just sit back and enjoy.
If you're not - turn off/fast forward between the action scenes and enjoy.

Don't think anyone can deny the action was excellent and Statham is watchable as ever, destined to be a great beer and pizza movie for a while to come yet!
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

My favourite part was the man behind me shouting "Wanker" when Andersons name came up. I could not agree more
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

Left me cold...just came out thinking 'meh'. The original was far better and more subversive.

The scene with the tattooed guy shouting about 'you can't kill me' was good, though - and I liked Ian McShane's character. The geeky guy on the maintenance team seemed a bit pointless - I couldn't imagine what he'd been put in a maximum security prison for and he just irritated me.

And what was the point of the scene with Mr Statham doing pull-ups? I guess it was just to show off his muscles in a lame attempt to be erotic in some way...otherwise there's really no point to it.

And does anyone else think the end would have been better if the woman hadn't been there at all and the two guys had become a couple? Can't imagine that would be very Hollywood-friendly, but would have probably raised a laugh.
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Hello Doris! wrote:My favourite part was the man behind me shouting "Wanker" when Andersons name came up. I could not agree more
dont understand why folks are so down on mr p w anderson?
he makes perfect popcorn movies and 1 great underrated and a modern classic movie.
hes married to milla jovovich,maybe thats why :D
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Hello Doris! wrote:My favourite part was the man behind me shouting "Wanker" when Andersons name came up. I could not agree more
:(

Have you met him? He's really nice.
Grindhouse wrote:
dont understand why folks are so down on mr p w anderson?
he makes perfect popcorn movies and 1 great underrated and a modern classic movie.
hes married to milla jovovich,maybe thats why :D
Yay! I agree i think he has made at least 3 great movies...and he is a nice chap to boot, not a 'w@nker' :(

And I did not know he married Milla - wow lucky guy! :D
Last edited by maxmum on Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup