films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

streetrw wrote:Anyways, I'm aware that I watch way too many cacky movies (and blither on about them in here afterwards ) so I'm actually thinking about taking a three-week break from LoveFilm so I can get some other stuff done.
How are we supposed to entertain ourselves for three weeks without your blitherings?
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Grindhouse wrote:The 13th Warrior i watch this at least once a year,and its one of my fave movies,why i do not know,but i keep hoping for a decent dvd release with a new cut of the film,and commentary,and everytime i watch it im sure Robert Patrick is in it,but still quite why there are scottish vikings in this,is as bad as a cockney Beowulf,both have loads in common with each other,great stuff and good score by jerry goldsmith too.
Remember that parts of Scotland were under Viking control, so Scottish Vikings aren't too far fetched.

Fido - loved this film, the perfect combination of Night for the Living Dead and It's a Wonderful Life. "Old people may appear to be nice, but remeber you can't trust them."

Canadian Bacon - it may have been because I was really tired and stressed out after a week at work, but I just could not get in to this film. The majority of jokes just weren't funny (apart from some of the anti-Canadian propaganda) and John Candy was particularly poor.

Other wise I have a stack of about 20 films to watch, but just can't get myself in to the mood and have been watching TV boxed sets instead (
The Wire Series 2, Curb Your Enthusiasm Series 3 and Flight of the Conchords. Oh and repeats of The Sarah Silverman Show: "Are you God's black friend?"

*Must remember to order The Wire Series 3 next.
[/b]
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw Boy In the Striped Pyjamas. Very moving and a heart rendering performance from boy of the said title. Very much a viewpoint from a child's eye.

Finally got to see Going to Pieces. Was quite chuffed actually having some of the titles on vhs. Interesting documentary but not as indepth as I thought it be. Quite enjoyed doing the quiz though.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Khouri
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Khouri »

Just watched Visitor Q the other night... quite an odd one but I really enjoyed it. Perhaps not one to watch if you're easily offended though (which to be fair, you're probably not going to be if you're on this forum!).
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Some recent movies watched:

Taken - nice slick action thriller - Liam Neeson on good form - well worth checking out.

Felon - Stephen Dorff in a pretty good prison movie with Val Kilmer also good (and looking very heavy!)

Pathology - very average - more of a thriller than a horror film

The Return - with Sarah Michelle Gellar - not too bad but very slow to watch - the less than 90 minute running time seemed a lor longer

The Marine - an ok to watch action B movie if you have 90 minutes to kill!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

finally got round to watching The frightened woman from the shameless label,this has some of the weirdest & funkiest set design and some really great music,its a but bizarre but really worth watching just to see some of the kitsch designs of the late 60s,and has a smart twist to the end.
King Kong i really like peter jacksons, Kong inspite of its running time, so i watched the extended cut with the commentary,some great extra scenes,and the third disc has all the juicy bits on the making off kong,i mean if i hadnt watched that extra disc then i wouldnt know that rick baker, frank darabont and peter jackson are in the fighter planes attacking king kong in the film,well just in case that question ever comes up,i hope that its released on blu ray with out having to change discs halfway through the film.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

Bearded Avenger wrote:Fido - loved this film, the perfect combination of Night for the Living Dead and It's a Wonderful Life. "Old people may appear to be nice, but remeber you can't trust them."
Oh yes - this was the film we watched on the train coming home from Frightfest, the perfect end to the festival!
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

out of the freebie FF bag comes Captivity, i hadnt seen this or read a great deal about it,i guessed the outcome even from the reviews.
when is it going to stop? not just in this film but other films lower down the horror sewer as i am quite fed up of mediocre weaners in films with too much money and time,going around kidnapping people for fun & games.
A pointless film,i mean we know Elisha Cuthbert isnt going to get messed up so why bother making a film with her in from the start.
I would rather watch WAZ a hundred times that have to endure captivity,at least Selma Blair took a gutsy role and was uglied up for the part,that takes something to do that for a beautiful actress,to shed some vanity for the role,it just does nothing say nothing achieves nothing a low point by anyones standards,and what was roland joffe thinking keeping his name on the credits,is Alan Smithee dead?
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Kind of like Italy's answer to City of God - a realistic look at various criminal goings on in Campania and Naples of recent years (the guy who wrote the book this is based on has spent the past 2 years "living under police protection"!)

This is very well made, but it didn't really grab me as much as I liked.
The stories unfold slowly, and I spent too much time wondering what jobs these people were doing exactly.

http://www.gomorrahmovie.co.uk
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Vanishing Point i cannot believe i had not seen this before,how could it have slipped past me,when Easy Rider was one of the 1st videos i bought in widescreen,and Electra glide in blue,is one of my faves as well.
Barry Newman is just great i always remember him in Alistair Macleans appointment with fear,starring bad guy actor John Vernon.
so onto Vanishing Point along with easy rider and the wild bunch,these are iconic films of a time when the world was changing,i dont think of it as car movie its a western and the car is the horse,and the journey of travelling,and freedom as we know it is dissapearing,and the end is sad & poignant a film of its time,superb.
i know this was remade with viggo mortensen as the driver back in the 90s.
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

I went to see an advanced preview of IGOR earlier. Yes, the kids film! It was fun and i did laugh a few times, but not to spoil it too much, but a suicidal immortal rabbit who keeps trying to kill himself and SPOILER ALERT- gets his face/back of the head accidently blown off!- is not what i call kiddie friendly?!

Eddie izzard, steve buscemi, and molly shannon are really good in this. John cusack's, just john cusack.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Just watched Wrong Turn 2 (yes a bit slow on the uptake!). Really enjoyed it, very amusing and sick - it actually made me retch at one point.

So that was nice viewing whilst eating my bacon sandwich. :lol:
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw How to Lose Friends and Alienate People. Expecting to this to be a load of tripe. Was unexpectedly surprised how good it was. Very amusing, at times cringing. The main character could of been a complete a twonk. It's Simon Pegg! He is a lovable rogue!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

lupogirl wrote:Saw How to Lose Friends and Alienate People. Expecting to this to be a load of tripe. Was unexpectedly surprised how good it was. Very amusing, at times cringing. The main character could of been a complete a twonk. It's Simon Pegg! He is a lovable rogue!
Me and Doris saw this a few weeks ago.. I fell asleep half way through it :D
"I see the bad moon arising.."
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

orlovsky wrote:
lupogirl wrote:Saw How to Lose Friends and Alienate People. Expecting to this to be a load of tripe. Was unexpectedly surprised how good it was. Very amusing, at times cringing. The main character could of been a complete a twonk. It's Simon Pegg! He is a lovable rogue!
Me and Doris saw this a few weeks ago.. I fell asleep half way through it :D
I saw it last night and thought it was really good. I was laughing really hard all the way throughout.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.