films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Okay, I love Africa, and films set there. I can even take something like Out Of Africa because of that; nice scenery, shame about the Mills And Boon slobbering and the funny voices. If it had been Out Of Mongolia or Out Of Chipping Sodbury I'd probably hate it.

So I'm automatically in favour of Prey, which is shot and set in South Africa by a South African director. And the look and feel of it is fantastic. But ultimately it's just Cujo with lions: Peter Weller's family go off the trail in the bush and end up as prospective elevenses for a couple of lions, and while they bicker and argue in the Land-Rover, Weller mounts a search with a mad hunter (who looks like the bearded one out of The West Wing, but isn't). Sadly it's all a bit dull with the soapy family bonding stuff getting in the way of the monster attacks.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Hasn't Prey already had a release? Been out for a while on ummm some networking sites *looks from left to right*
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

I thought Prey was utter tosh,and its more akin to jaws on land with lions as the sharks,and the only reason its called prey as they didnt have the nerve or balls to call it Paws
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Grindhouse wrote:I thought Prey was utter tosh,and its more akin to jaws on land with lions as the sharks,and the only reason its called prey as they didnt have the nerve or balls to call it Paws
Ahh giant scary kittens playing with wool a la Team America. I'd watch that film :lol:
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

heres a mixed bag of dvd goodies.
kicking off with Wild At Heart,1990 or 91 brought this masterpiece of cinema to video, i still love it,Nicolas Cage's finest character portrayal as sailor and Laura Dern as the inimittable Lula,its just one amazing film from start to finish,wild scenes unforgettable characters,superb music,and that wicked witch from oz,david lynch excels and fire's on all cylinders with this,but it scores with its peripheral characters,crispin glover as Dell,Willem Dafoe as Bobby Peru,and Harry Dean Stanton,lynch seems obssesed with car crashes in this one and shows a grim interest in them,like those old books of car crashes and murder scenes from the 50 s and 60s,rockin good news.
Intimate Enemies this french war film on the algierian conflict snuck out onto a few screens at the cinema,it really should have had wider release,a superb film,from the director of the Nest and Hostage,Florent Emilio Siri,not much is known of the conflict of Algiers,nor are there many films of it,apart from the battle for Algiers,which is almost an insurgency guide.
a brooding film of not only conflicts of war but of right and wrong,with a sombre but beautiful score from Alexander Desplat.
Click this runs at 1hr 47 mins around 20mins too long this soon wore thin on me so i turned it off after an hour,which is suprising for me as i like Adam Sandler.
Streets of Fire a rock n roll fable from Walter Hill an 80s classic chock full of actors who are so familiar now,Michael Pare as tom cody,Diane Lane,Rick Moranis,willem dafoe.
Its one of those films you love or hate,but if you love it, you really love it!!
and i reckon looking in the crowd of bikers there is michael berryman in there,but theres no credits for any of the biker extras.
an all time fave,but the HD could have done with extras,they should have a streets of fire reunion.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

A man is chased around Spain by a robot dog in Rottweiler, a generally feeble Brian Yuzna flick from 2003 which has only just surfaced on DVD. A few nods to The Terminator and some frontal male nudity (which is, let's face it, unusual) apart, it's a load of old tat with some occasional bits of sleaze, blood and gore to alleviate the dullness. With Ivana Baquero from Pan's Labyrinth and Spanish trash legend Paul Naschy!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Has anybody seen Shark in Venice or Reeker 2 on here?
Notts Pete
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Notts Pete »

streetrw wrote:A man is chased around Spain by a robot dog in Rottweiler, a generally feeble Brian Yuzna flick from 2003 which has only just surfaced on DVD. A few nods to The Terminator and some frontal male nudity (which is, let's face it, unusual) apart, it's a load of old tat with some occasional bits of sleaze, blood and gore to alleviate the dullness. With Ivana Baquero from Pan's Labyrinth and Spanish trash legend Paul Naschy!
They all sound like good reasons to watch this one !!
Quite a fan of Mr Yuzna, he certainly works hard and does seem to love the genre.
Just remembered, I actually have Rottweiler in the cupboard, recorded it off Zone Horror a few months back - must get round to watching it now :)
I bet you think you know all about vampires ... believe me, you know f@*& all.
Notts Pete
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Notts Pete »

Grindhouse wrote:heres a mixed bag of dvd goodies.
kicking off with Wild At Heart,1990 or 91 brought this masterpiece of cinema to video, i still love it,Nicolas Cage's finest character portrayal as sailor and Laura Dern as the inimittable Lula,its just one amazing film from start to finish,wild scenes unforgettable characters,superb music,and that wicked witch from oz,david lynch excels and fire's on all cylinders with this,but it scores with its peripheral characters,crispin glover as Dell,Willem Dafoe as Bobby Peru,and Harry Dean Stanton,lynch seems obssesed with car crashes in this one and shows a grim interest in them,like those old books of car crashes and murder scenes from the 50 s and 60s,rockin good news.
Intimate Enemies this french war film on the algierian conflict snuck out onto a few screens at the cinema,it really should have had wider release,a superb film,from the director of the Nest and Hostage,Florent Emilio Siri,not much is known of the conflict of Algiers,nor are there many films of it,apart from the battle for Algiers,which is almost an insurgency guide.
a brooding film of not only conflicts of war but of right and wrong,with a sombre but beautiful score from Alexander Desplat.
Click this runs at 1hr 47 mins around 20mins too long this soon wore thin on me so i turned it off after an hour,which is suprising for me as i like Adam Sandler.
Streets of Fire a rock n roll fable from Walter Hill an 80s classic chock full of actors who are so familiar now,Michael Pare as tom cody,Diane Lane,Rick Moranis,willem dafoe.
Its one of those films you love or hate,but if you love it, you really love it!!
and i reckon looking in the crowd of bikers there is michael berryman in there,but theres no credits for any of the biker extras.
an all time fave,but the HD could have done with extras,they should have a streets of fire reunion.
Couple of real classics there Grindy.
Remember seeing Wild at Heart at the Broadway in Nottingham and being blown away by it - brilliant visuals and soundtrack. Cage and Dern were just right as Saior and Lula and the supporting cast were excellent too.
Dafoe was SO sleazy (and his close encounter with his shotgun got gasps from the audience). I know Lynch has gone a bit off the boil lately, but this, along with Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, Elephant Man and Straight Story make him one of my favourites ...
... Along with the brilliant Walter Hill. Bet Streets looks awesome in HD. Took the afternoon off work to see this back in the day and saw it at the local ABC - just me and half a dozen Hell's Angels. Seriouisly. Not noticed Berryman before, but I'm gonna go have another watch now you've said that. As the Gorezoners might say, Tom Cody & Ellen Aim freakin' ROCK !!
Michael Pare mght be making a bit of a comeback - he's supposed to be great as the abusive huband/poltergeist in Eric Red's newie 100 Feet. Really looking forward to that one.
Now all you need is a High Def release of Eddie & The Cruisers and you'll be sorted :D
I bet you think you know all about vampires ... believe me, you know f@*& all.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Eagle Eye. The director and star (Shia LaBeouf) of Disturbia reteam for this Enemy of the State-style action thriller.

And the result is the most ludicrous movie of 2008!

Ludicrous!
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

sherbetbizarre wrote:Eagle Eye. The director and star (Shia LaBeouf) of Disturbia reteam for this Enemy of the State-style action thriller.

And the result is the most ludicrous movie of 2008!

Ludicrous!
I'm trying to work out why it was held back for so long. Me and Mr O saw the trailer for this agessssssssssssssss ago.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

some time of work with the flu gave me time to watch the following stuff:

Ilsa she wolf of the SS - Busty Nazi chicks torturing topless prisoners... can't go wrong with that!

For y'ur height only - phillipino james bond rip off with weng weng, a little midget, good but not as good as wild wild weng

Devil Fetus - crazy 1980's Hong Kong horror with wizzards and stuff. Confusing but good

Seeding of a ghost - More crazy 1980's hong kong horror. Bit slow but crazy ending.

Torso - Itallian stuff, quite entertaining and the doctor who saves the day at the end is a splitting image of that Ashton Kutcher guy

Demonium - got this from poundland, it sucked. I really like other Andreas Schnaas stuff like Violent SHit 3; zombie doom and zombie 90, but this was just lame, some ok gore but the 'story' was just plain crap.

Os trapalhoes na guerra dos planetas (aka brazilian star wars) - fuck I wish I had some mushrooms for this one, crazy low budget stuff. Not as good as the Turkish star wars though.

Champions of Justice - Mexican wrestling movie about some masked wrestlers on a mission to resqueMiss mexico models who get kidnapped by an evil scientist who has an army of super midgets. Funny, lame action scenes, but the non stop freaky jazz soundtrack made me a bit uneasy at times.

Black Angel 2 -Takashi Ishii stuff. Not as good as the first one, couldn't really get into the story.

Murder party - good low budget horror with plenty of laughs

Time Bandits - crazy and funny, but once again i wish I had some drugs for this one.

Deathrace 2000. loved it, so much better then the remake.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

the new 007 quantum of solace...

hmmm.. it's kind of growing on me, my initial thoughts were ones of disappointment - it felt over-long (even at a 1 hour 40 running time), the action, and there is much more action this time around, never had a 'wow' factor and no real threat was felt to craig at any time. the music used for the score is so underwhelming in comparison with the great works of yore by the unimpeachable john barry, gemma arterton is pretty bad as a bond girl but is given nothing to do anyway, craig looks gaunt and haggard and a little bit ill at times. and much as i love jack white - both the opening credit sequence which is terrible and the theme song where you can't make out the lyrics are another failure.

but saying all that it is growing on me so maybe i'll give it a second go.. with lower expectations.

the film - already hyped to death - is going to be HUGE though
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Team Banzai wrote:the new 007 quantum of solace...

hmmm.. it's kind of growing on me, my initial thoughts were ones of disappointment - it felt over-long (even at a 1 hour 40 running time), the action, and there is much more action this time around, never had a 'wow' factor and no real threat was felt to craig at any time. the music used for the score is so underwhelming in comparison with the great works of yore by the unimpeachable john barry, gemma arterton is pretty bad as a bond girl but is given nothing to do anyway, craig looks gaunt and haggard and a little bit ill at times. and much as i love jack white - both the opening credit sequence which is terrible and the theme song where you can't make out the lyrics are another failure.

but saying all that it is growing on me so maybe i'll give it a second go.. with lower expectations.

the film - already hyped to death - is going to be HUGE though
I dont think there has ever been a Bond song quite so dull as the new one,it makes die another day sound good,and have you ever seen such a stupid advert as sonys new one for its HD tv with Daniel Craig in it,infuriatingly annoying :x
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

A couple of dvd treats found their way across my eyes this weekend.
The Blob remake,i had almost forgotten about this film from chuck russell and written by frank darabont as well,its gloopy and its loopy,with the babe from the Saw sequels Shawnee Smith,who if QT ever decided to make another revenge film with women,she should be in it.
close encounters of the third kind on blu ray,is just tremendous not only does it have all 3 version of the films but some superb extras with a great interview with Spielberg himself discussing it,i just hope that he might go on and make films like this again.
Dance of the Dead one of the hits of FF08 was great to see this again,so much fun,the dvd has some great extras too.
The Warriors ultimate directors cut on HD looks flawless much like close encounters its very hard to tell the age of these films if it wasnt for things that date them,but still a great film,a slight niggle is the start.
on a sunday in the late 90s there was a double film cult night featuring la haine and the warriors on BBC2 introduced by Mark Cousins,thats been the only time i have seen the warriors with its different opening scenes complete on a print,great film but the ultimate directors cut is a meddlesome affair.