films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

The fact that Steve Wiebe is already DK record holder before the events of the film changes the entire story though.

It was definitely still entertaining though. And Billy Mitchell did say some amazingly inept things "It is like the abortion issue". LOL.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Animal Soup Another amatuer shot-in-the-woods UK movie... but this one's oddly entertaining with its curious mix of arty shots and crude wtf? moments. Could do with proper characters, and less wondering around, but I've seen a lot worse!

http://www.myspace.com/animalsoupfilm
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

sherbetbizarre wrote:Animal Soup Another amatuer shot-in-the-woods UK movie... but this one's oddly entertaining with its curious mix of arty shots and crude wtf? moments. Could do with proper characters, and less wondering around, but I've seen a lot worse!

http://www.myspace.com/animalsoupfilm
Have you seen Shadow Dead Riot?
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Nope!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

a foggy saturday trip to London and an outing at Enfields Cineworld to see clints new movie Changeling,its a great film and easy to see why ms jolie is in the running for an oscar,clints direction is very efficient nothing is wasted and its engaging from the start to finish,with john malkovich being in one of his best roles for some time,even if your not a fan of Angelina,this shows her in a different light and a far better actress,than those dumb movies would have you believe,great film great actress,i hope she wins something for it.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Grindhouse wrote:a foggy saturday trip to London and an outing at Enfields Cineworld to see clints new movie Changeling,its a great film and easy to see why ms jolie is in the running for an oscar,clints direction is very efficient nothing is wasted and its engaging from the start to finish,with john malkovich being in one of his best roles for some time,even if your not a fan of Angelina,this shows her in a different light and a far better actress,than those dumb movies would have you believe,great film great actress,i hope she wins something for it.
Don't Wanna go.... Million Dollar Baby Still makes me cry :cry:
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw the underwhelming Max Payne. A slog of a film to watch. I felt no empathy towards the character. Which is a first bad sign. Mark Walberg was sooo wooden. Only last 20 minutes had anything of interest to watch.

Thought at times the film was a bit like Constantine. Was surprised to see a rather bloated Chris O Donnell! Where has been for the past few years ?
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

lupogirl wrote:Saw the underwhelming Max Payne. A slog of a film to watch. I felt no empathy towards the character. Which is a first bad sign. Mark Walberg was sooo wooden. Only last 20 minutes had anything of interest to watch.

Thought at times the film was a bit like Constantine. Was surprised to see a rather bloated Chris O Donnell! Where has been for the past few years ?
Exactly just what is max payne good for? absolutley nothing,though according to mr wahlberg its intense,intensely dull,i nodded off a few times only to see a few bits of action,and even Beau Bridges doesnt have a name a such,he's just called BB,yes those valkyries are nice but save them for the constantine sequel,and the bond girl is in it again as a no good floozy,only she's not as scantily dressed or naked as in Hitman,but its intense non the less.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

lupogirl wrote:Thought at times the film was a bit like Constantine. Was surprised to see a rather bloated Chris O Donnell! Where has been for the past few years ?
He Showed up in Grey's Anatomy for quite a while like 2 seasons back as a love interest :D

I guess you can never really recover from playing Robim in them god awful batman films, no matter how tight the costume is :lol:
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

lupogirl wrote:Was surprised to see a rather bloated Chris O Donnell! Where has been for the past few years ?
Hahaha --- I had a complete Kevin-Spacey-turns-up-in-Seven-moment when Chris O’Donnell trundled on screen; first as almost background character (making me think it couldn’t actually be him) and then as a schlubby fall guy during one of Payne’s half-hearted bits of semi-heroics. He just turns up almost unnannounced (I guess he was in the poster credits, but all the posters I saw were Bansky-inspired graffitti memes with just a title treatment.)

Characters came and went with little rhyme, reason; lines of dialogue, spat from their mouths, ricocheted like blowdarts full of Temazepam off the cut ‘n’ paste digital sets (I think I spotted a scene where the same building was cloned 5 times in the background like an old Hanna-Barbera cartoon chase scene); plotting that barely stretched to an episode of Law & Order and which climaxed in a sequence that managed to be both jaw-droppingly over-wrought and strangely predictable all at once.

At least, the hallucinogenic demons sub-device managed to provide the most entertaining moment as Payne leaps from the icy depths of a lake to generate an inexplicably overwrought howl of rage/despair/extreme embarrassment which almost made the experience worthwhile.

Between this and rather limp The Omen remake I recently caught on TV, I’m beginning to wonder what happened to the John Moore of Behind Enemy Lines, an enormously entertaining slice of Bay/Scott hokum I like a lot.

So utterly perplexed was I by the whole of Max Payne, it made me long for the dreary Hitman’s relative subtle complexity.

Between this and The Happening, it's safe to that Mark “Say ‘Hi’ to your mother for me, okay?” Walhberg is not having the best year of his career.

And speaking of The Happening: surely that misfire coupled with Lady In the Water (which I had the misfortune to suffer through completely baffled this past weekend) make the once rather great M. Night Shyamalan unfundable as the auteur as he has been up until now, no? I mean, who wants to be directed to performances like any of those?

In other more obvious news: the original The Day Earth Stood Still: still great!
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by dangerous_jamie »

giles edwards wrote: “Say ‘Hi’ to your mother for me, okay?”
Brilliant.
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Waitress - nice little indie romantic comdedy - all the more poignant with the knoweldge that writer/director/supporting actress Adrienne Shelley was murdered a short while after completing the film. A great performance from Keri Russell and nice to see some horror regulars in non-genre roles (Jeremy Sisto, Lew Temple, Nathan Fillion).

Wallender - Sidetracked - not sure what to make of it. Kenneth Branagh was suitably intense, but having seen 8 or so of the orginal Sweddish TM movies this adaption just felt wrong. The British actor playing Nyberg (the crime scene dude) looks just like the actor from the Swedish versions or at least one of them, because confusingly two companies have the rights to make them in Sweden - one as TV movies and another which released them in the cinema). Oh - also a high five for David Warner.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

giles edwards wrote:
lupogirl wrote:Was surprised to see a rather bloated Chris O Donnell! Where has been for the past few years ?
Hahaha --- I had a complete Kevin-Spacey-turns-up-in-Seven-moment when Chris O’Donnell trundled on screen; first as almost background character (making me think it couldn’t actually be him) and then as a schlubby fall guy during one of Payne’s half-hearted bits of semi-heroics. He just turns up almost unnannounced (I guess he was in the poster credits, but all the posters I saw were Bansky-inspired graffitti memes with just a title treatment.)

Characters came and went with little rhyme, reason; lines of dialogue, spat from their mouths, ricocheted like blowdarts full of Temazepam off the cut ‘n’ paste digital sets (I think I spotted a scene where the same building was cloned 5 times in the background like an old Hanna-Barbera cartoon chase scene); plotting that barely stretched to an episode of Law & Order and which climaxed in a sequence that managed to be both jaw-droppingly over-wrought and strangely predictable all at once.

At least, the hallucinogenic demons sub-device managed to provide the most entertaining moment as Payne leaps from the icy depths of a lake to generate an inexplicably overwrought howl of rage/despair/extreme embarrassment which almost made the experience worthwhile.

Between this and rather limp The Omen remake I recently caught on TV, I’m beginning to wonder what happened to the John Moore of Behind Enemy Lines, an enormously entertaining slice of Bay/Scott hokum I like a lot.

So utterly perplexed was I by the whole of Max Payne, it made me long for the dreary Hitman’s relative subtle complexity.

Between this and The Happening, it's safe to that Mark “Say ‘Hi’ to your mother for me, okay?” Walhberg is not having the best year of his career.

And speaking of The Happening: surely that misfire coupled with Lady In the Water (which I had the misfortune to suffer through completely baffled this past weekend) make the once rather great M. Night Shyamalan unfundable as the auteur as he has been up until now, no? I mean, who wants to be directed to performances like any of those?

In other more obvious news: the original The Day Earth Stood Still: still great!
i like Behind Enemy lines, loads too great fun and some superb action scenes.
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

[quote="giles edwards

[/quote]

Oh man, M night shymalama-ding dong! Personally, unbreakable is the only one i can take. I watched the sixth' you'll never guess the twist' sense, and died alittle inside. I haven't been able to stomach the rest.

Same with blair 'what the fuck is the point in this' project. I like the 'book of shadows. Yes really, i do.

Watched LOST BOYS: THE TRIBE yesterday. Oh crap! i spent £9 and 21 years of my life waiting for this! hell, I had an idea for a lost boys sequel (that i was gonna write! gods honest truth!) But no, i'll leave it to the professionals. What a pile of utter tripe. I wish i had written my screen play and sent it to hollywood. It even had the coreys in it. And i reckon they would have ruled!

:x :cry:
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

Rue-morgue Jay wrote: Oh man, M night shymalama-ding dong! Personally, unbreakable is the only one i can take. I watched the sixth' you'll never guess the twist' sense, and died alittle inside. I haven't been able to stomach the rest.

Same with blair 'what the fuck is the point in this' project. I like the 'book of shadows. Yes really, i do.
I read today that M. Night Shylmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm's next movie is going to be a sequel to Unbreakable. Its pretty much his only option though at this point I'd imagine. They're not likely to give him money to do much else - are they?