Repo The Genetic Opera

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Repo The Genetic Opera

Post by maxmum »

So, I am eager to know how everyone liked Repo. I watched it again this afternoon at home as I was mourning not being able to be there and it's growing on me more and more every time I watch it. I know it's not perfect and the songs could have been a shed load better but....

What did you guys think?

And if you like it, the UK Blu Ray and DVD are out Monday!
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I wondered if anyone had clocked this too on the repo website, apparently it's touring the UK! and mentions the prince charles showing on the poster.

http://www.reporoadtour.com/
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Muffy St. John
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Muffy St. John »

I REALLY didn't like REPO, I thought the music was truly awful and repetitive! I also found it annoying when the director and writers were trying desperately to get the crowd to 'join in & sing-a-long'. If you don't consider yourself to be a Rocky Horror rip-off, you shouldn't encourage Rocky Horror behaviour. I totally understand that some films are so bad they're good... but this one was either too bad or not bad enough for that category!
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

I thought this was actually not bad! I'm not a big fan of musicals/ operas, and whereas 'The Sound of Music' and 'Dream Girls' left me recoiling in horror, 'Repo: The Genetic Opera' I actually found quite enjoyable (for the most part). I agree the songs did at times sound rather repetitive and not exactly of Andrew Lloyd Webber standard of songwriting, but overall a good story and well acted. I was looking forward to see what Paris was like in it, and I thought she was pretty good! Loved the comic book aspect of it, and would be interesting to see what the stage version has to offer...
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Great, wonderful addition to the FF day

And it may actually just do ok over here, more so than in the US, who knows....

It kept my interest from start to finish which is usually an indication of when something is good in my book.
rach
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by rach »

Would have been better as a silent movie as the singing was pretty bad. The film looked good though.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

I actually really liked this, wasn't expecting too much because of all the negative press it's received, but it turned out to be really enjoyable - fun all the way through! A shame it didn't get included in the main August event, because it would have been a great addition then, and was certainly better than a lot of the August films.

thought it was a bit mean of the guy to say at the end we were silent though, and go on about how somewhere else the whole crowd had been dancing and singing along - the crowd did at least scream in quite a few places, and when 99% of the audience hasn't seen the film, they can hardly get up and sing can they?!

but anyway, good film!....although did anyone else notice that the song "Zytrate Anatomy" is a total rip off of Rob Zombie's Living Dead Girl??
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

They wanted us to talk and blog about the movie, whether we liked the movie or not. Sorry, but I'm not going to play that game. Repo was awful, as close to walk-out terrible as I've seen in a while. Couldn't wait for it to end but was unfortunately not in an aisle seat. Go back to the Saw movies. That's all the blogging I'm doing on the subject.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Whilst I can see why some would enjoy this, I really didn't. Just loud and annoying and devoid of even one funny moment for me.

It was all made worse in my opinion by the director's attempt to make it into a cult movie. Cult films happen over time from years of word of mouth and to see an attempt to 'force' it straight away into this status was a bit lame I think.

Big thumbs down and yes I agree, no more to be said from me on this.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

odishon wrote:It was all made worse in my opinion by the director's attempt to make it into a cult movie. Cult films happen over time from years of word of mouth and to see an attempt to 'force' it straight away into this status was a bit lame I think.
Yeah, that annoyed me and made me skip the Q&A. You can't tell people to boo, cheer or sing along - I bet it took a long time before even Rocky Horror built up its cult following. Although the film company plants in the audience did their best....

The plot was like a rough first draft, all the images/production design seemed to be nicked from somewhere else, and how bloody annoying/unfunny were Rotti Largo's three kids?

It was like an over-long Evanescence video directed by Guy Maddin (on a really, really bad day). But with terrible singing.
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Wasn't really enjoying it at the start, but the longer it went on, the more I kinda found myself (whilst not loving it) admiring what it had set out to do.

Not one I'll be watching again in a hurry, although the more i think about it the more it lingers with me. File under 'interesting experiment'...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

rawshark wrote:Wasn't really enjoying it at the start, but the longer it went on, the more I kinda found myself (whilst not loving it) admiring what it had set out to do.

Not one I'll be watching again in a hurry, although the more i think about it the more it lingers with me. File under 'interesting experiment'...
Haha, knew it would be a 'grower' :)
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Yeah i think it's a grower, although the music doesn't seem to get any better.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

by the way... there were NO industry plants in the screening...unless you count the rowdy drunken pair at the back ! :D
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Team Banzai wrote:by the way... there were NO industry plants in the screening...unless you count the rowdy drunken pair at the back ! :D
OK, fair enough... just some dedicated existing fans then. I'll leave 'em to it.