Embodiment of Evil

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Embodiment of Evil

Post by sherbetbizarre »

or Embodiment of the Devil as the subtitle had it.

A solid 8/10 from me, and a great return to the screens for Coffin Joe. It looked fatastic too, helped by it being a film print.

As said onstage, Anchor Bay are bringing out the Coffin Joe trilogy in the UK later in the year. Thanks to FrightFest for putting this one on :D
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I actually thought this was just plain bonkers: a ranting lunatic killing girls for either insane reasons or no reason at all. The bits from the original films looked vaguely interesting, but I just didn't get the point of this new one.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

It had some interesting images, but what a complete shambles.

As my brother pointed out, everyone in the fim - especially Coffin Joe - talked like Mr Noisy. "I WOULD LIKE A PIECE OF MEAT. AND A WOMAN TO CONTINUE MY BLOOD."
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Very very poor. I haven't seen any of these other Coffin Joe films, but after seeing Embodiement Of Evil, I'll be giving them all a wide berth!

This was very silly and extremely messy, difficult to understand what the hell was going on most of the time...it challenged Mother Of Tears in the stupidity stakes!

Thankfully the films got better after this, but this was a real damp squib to start the day on.
Last edited by Wolfshade on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Didn't get it - maybe I need to see the others. Just felt like an overlong s&m film. Also wasn't shocked in the slightest about the body modification stuff - it didn't help that the actors used were obviously into that kind of thing. But the big chubby rat was cute :lol:
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

I quite enjoyed this one once I'd got into it's rhythm after the first 15 mins or so..

Suitably bonkers and gory and the hell scene was straight out of a Jodorowsky movie. Glad it was screened, as it's good to have eyes opened to other country's genre flicks..

Loved the scene with the half woman painted in silver with spiders coming out of her abdomen.
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
Giz
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Giz »

Yeah i really liked it,bonkers,depraved and gory,a good start.
Never heard of coffin joe,but enjoyed the mad old bastard, it got my horror glands glistening!
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Random - that's the only word I can use to describe it... It was so strange, I can't even decide if I disliked it or enjoyed it - all I know is that I didn't really understand what the film was going for/ about, except an old guy having loads of young naked women throwing themselves at him! I'm sure there is a lot more to it than that - would be quite interesting to see the other two to see if it changes my opinion, but I think you maybe have to be in a certain mood to appreciate those kinds of films...
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Found the pace a little slow on this one and old Joe became a bit tiresome after a while but I liked how it looked.
Especially liked the 'silver' ghosts who made a nice change from the usual Grudge style CGI ones we get in every film these days.

One line did make me chortle but as I can't remember it exactly I won't try and quote it here. It was the one the policeman shouted when they were hunting Joe.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

I believe the "silver" look came about because the ghosts were from the old black & white clips... so the ghosts were in monochrome!
Last edited by sherbetbizarre on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I managed to see this one yesterday too, didn't like it. Silly!
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
zoltan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by zoltan »

Never having seen Coffin Joe movie i tried ordering the first film on dvd to watch before the event. However iv'e now been wating over three weeks and it still hasn't shown up.
If the box set is coming out over here i may have to get that instead, i loved it.
Some very squirmy moments but i also loved the character and it just seemed so diffrent.
splittter
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by splittter »

Thought the opening was great, with the loud music, weird visuals and OTT nonsense about blood lines etc ... plus the whole bit as he was released from prison was great stuff with the sweaty warden screaming to the bloke over the phone that everything was going to end badly :).

After that it all went a bit downhill, utterly ludicrous and nonsensical plot, pretty abysmal acting all round, and despite seeming to have a decent budget it still managed to look really amateurish a lot of the time. That said the gusto with which it was done managed to keep me involved, and was intrigued enough by the flashback scenes to probably get hold of the trilogy on DVD when it's released.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Speaking of the opening... did 20th Century Fox really put this out? LOL :lol:
Tragedygirl
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Tragedygirl »

Worse film of the day for me. I love my horror to be graphic and gory - i just didnt like this. It got to the point where i was thinking ... "oh ... another woman being tortured by Coffin Joe and his merry men...what a surprise" yawn.

Missed the beginning of this, due to running late .. but would have cheerfully missed it all!

BUT this is the beauty of a FF day ... some we will love, some we will hate!! It certainly was no holds barred film to start the day!