films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Grindhouse wrote:Watchmen havent ever read the graphic novel nor do i really care too,my knowledge of this stuff stems from the music of pwei,
What's the connection, did they refer to Watchmen in the lyrics?

I found this alternative trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtCHk-DiCNQ
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Grindhouse wrote:Watchmen havent ever read the graphic novel nor do i really care too,my knowledge of this stuff stems from the music of pwei,
What's the connection, did they refer to Watchmen in the lyrics?

I found this alternative trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtCHk-DiCNQ
Yes a few of their songs lyrics feature references to watchmen, alan moore and other pop art culture.
def con one
can u dig it
and possibly many more songs i havent heard, lets not forget composer Clint Mansell was formerly of PWEI.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I saw Watchmen on Friday - I've taken to seeing these things on Friday afternoons before the crowds descend - and I was underwhelmed. It is massively overlong and, as one unfamiliar with the comic, it's sometimes tough to keep track of the timeline, which flashes back-and-forth across an alternate history. I guess, as one who isn't big on superhero movies in general - and I know this isn't a genuine superhero movie - I probably wasn't going to be astonished by it, but it IS a genre film, and it has an 18 certificate, so there should be something in there.

On the other hand, being unfamiliar with the comic means I can see it as a film unto itself and not compare it with the original source, so it's not going to bother me that they've changed the ending, or cut that bit of the plot, or given that guy a blue hat instead of a red one. And it is an interesting story, and the violence and gore is trowelled on pretty thick, which is always fine. The nudity was more upfront than I was expecting, if that's not a double entendre. And there were bits in it where I was pleasantly surprised by it, such as the Mars stuff and the way it tried to shift focus away from costumed weirdos hitting people and towards profound discussions about the nature of Mankind. I don't think it works overall, though: it is too long and yet I suspect it wants, and probably needs, to be even longer. And I couldn't tell you a thing about the Tyler Bates score; modern film music DOES all sound the same to me.....
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Watchmen again i found myself waking up and thinking about it,and the use of music was well done,when it came to individual music tracks,these werent just used as an intro or just for a few seconds,all along the watchtower,lasted for what seemed a long time and i liked that it wasnt just brought in for a few seconds then dumped which gives the viewer a more better experience imho.
a second viewing is imminent.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

My experience of Watchmen is similar - it does NOtTwork as a movie if you're coming to it first time... but there's enough in there to get me read the graphic novel and watch it again on DVD.
Grindhouse wrote:lets not forget composer Clint Mansell was formerly of PWEI.
He did the Requim for a Dream score, right?

He could retire on the royalties from that!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

TheTattooist and The devils chair arrived from the rental list,so with much trepidation in goes The devils chair,and 90 mins later im no wiser to it,lots of screaming,talking to the camera and some not so great acting,films like this are akin to Olestra that dodgy food fat you can eat as much of it as you like,but it has no substance and just makes you want to get it out of your system as quickly as possible,still the weird horse creature was good.
surprisingly good was The Tattooist a new zealand ghost story about tattoos and secrets,co written by frightfests blacksheep director jonathan king,with some good effects.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Watched Watchmen last night. It was good, but I don't understand the pee your pants fuss as Mr O showed.

To be honest it was just a bit Meh!
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I got around to watching Surviellance, I enjoyed it muchly - not exactly natural born killers but good. I guessed after about a half hour too but it was still very good.

And jesus h christ on a bicycle WTF was with those cops! LOL!
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

maxmum wrote:
Melvin Junko wrote:Just watched Girls rebel force of competitive swimmers

Japanse schoolgirls, zombies, lesbians, gore, boobs, 100% Junko proof.

HIghly reccomended if you enjoy top class nonsense :)
where the heck you get this stuff?

it's not on play.com that's for sure!

I like this thread, i go back and re read stuff and it tempts me to get new / old stuff I may have missed... just ordered me long weekend as twas only £3.99 and sound alreet. fancy that dead and buried too but thats a whole £8!
Try searching for 'Attack Girls' Swim Team Versus the Undead' You should find it 8)
"The little pissed Welsh tit is here. And pissed"
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

Grindhouse wrote:TheTattooist and The devils chair arrived from the rental list,so with much trepidation in goes The devils chair,and 90 mins later im no wiser to it,lots of screaming,talking to the camera and some not so great acting,films like this are akin to Olestra that dodgy food fat you can eat as much of it as you like,but it has no substance and just makes you want to get it out of your system as quickly as possible,still the weird horse creature was good.
surprisingly good was The Tattooist a new zealand ghost story about tattoos and secrets,co written by frightfests blacksheep director jonathan king,with some good effects.
The Devils Chair.........Euurgh, the main characters narration is tedious and irritating. If the director had cut that shit out, the movie could have at least been tolerable.
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

Behind The Mask : Loved this movie, wasn't expecting much due to the £3 price tag but it was great. Docu-film that turns into a tense slasher by the end. lever, funny story that has great performances and high production values. Self reverential but not in an 'aren't horror movies predictable and ridiculous' Scream fashion but an 'aren't horror movies ridiculous and fun' way. If that makes sense??? :roll: :lol:

Teeth : A one trick pony, but what a trick. The main actress really carries this movie, she's hot and very talented. Funny and fun, with a really icky openning. :shock:
gregjames
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by gregjames »

HUSH - Ash Webb is superb as the lead but the rest of the film has a number of familiar elements from WOLF CREEK, I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER, THE STRANGERS & SWITCHBLADE ROMANCE. Good overall but the similarities to other recent films lets it down.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

PeterPan wrote:Try searching for 'Attack Girls' Swim Team Versus the Undead' You should find it 8)
The Hong Kong disc is called The Girls Rebel Force of Competitive Swimmers.

Great movie.
capthowdy66
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by capthowdy66 »

Watched The Midnight Meat Train on blu ray, i remembered it being a better film when i watched it in the cinema!!! Still good but the fx make it look like a computer game!!
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

streetrw wrote:Can someone please remind me of the point behind Quarantine? It can only be designed for people who can't or won't read. Somewhere between a shot-for-shot and frame-for-frame remake of [REC], it's so close you could probably get the exact same effect from playing the Spanish original with an English dub. But it still hasn't solved the central narrative problem of people constantly operating a video camera when they're in mortal danger from zombies/monsters/aliens/milkmen when they should, if they've got the remotest smidgen of sense, put the cam down and leg it. If you've not seen [REC] it's probably more or less okay.
It's simple 99% of the British public refuse to watch a film with subtitles. When I lend someone a subtitles films the majority of people will complain that they can't read the subtitles and watch the film at the same time. I just point out that they haven't had enough practice. Also you can be watching the most violent and unpleasent low budget foreign film, but because there are subtitles anyone walking tin to the room will assume your watching some really boring French drama about a piano tuner's hearing loss. HOWEVER at least we don't dub everything over here like in Germany or France (one of the few ways we're culturally superior).