films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

giles edwards wrote:The good news is Night Of The Creeps is coming to legit DVD this October....
Brilliant news! I shall definitely be ordering it :-) shame October's still quite a way away...
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Couple of news items:

http://iconsoffright.com/news/2009/04/n ... ly_co.html

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/its-mil ... t-october/

Saw Monsters Vs Aliens 3D which was enjoyable. Quite a few references to old sci-fi movies...
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Lets hope night of the creeps has a reversible cover just like the fox big box vhs rental,so a couple of movies,the deaths of ian stone ,lots of ideas in this one, some of darkcity,other the matrix and everything many others to boot,a reasonable watch.
Slumdog Millionaire,a great movie,but certainly not a feel good one as the poster would have you believe,its almost sold as a romcom chick flick on the posters,its not at all,but every bit as good as the reviews and word of mouth had said it was.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

giles edwards wrote:The good news is Night Of The Creeps is coming to legit DVD this October....
The Monster Squad and Savage Streets dvds Red Shirt Pictures put out were very both nice, so I'm hoping Night of the Creeps gets the same treatment.

Same team is also in the process of doing a Friday 13th Part V special edition, with a commentary from director Danny Steinmann, who just seems to be a sketchy and shameless pervert, and then another commentary with the rest of the rest of the cast, who all hated Danny Steinmann for being a sketchy and shameless pervert.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

A Bond double bill with ££ Royale and QOS,now ££ Royale is a hard film to top so onto QOS from the opening car chase which has a nice twist, to the opening credits with a song,that plays well with the credits,but when separated from that,sounds dull and has nothing notable going for it,some of the films cuts are so quick and the shoot out to Tosca is hard to follow,a nice homage to goldfinger,like ££'s homage to dont look now.
but some of it felt rather like the film sahara with the desert location and a similar french baddie, also to do with water control.
Daniel Craig is Bond surpassing those before him imho, but Marc Forster wasnt the right director for this,but the writing could have been better,with a more notable villain and plot.
i hope the next outing for Bond, has a script 1st rather than just a title for a director to sign up to.
but its hard to see it as a separate film to ££ Royale,and that overshadows QOS but in time i think we will grow to love it more.
gregjames
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by gregjames »

Yeee-hoo! :D :D :D
The Dekker Renaissance begins!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Grindhouse wrote:Lets hope night of the creeps has a reversible cover just like the fox big box vhs rental,so a couple of movies,the deaths of ian stone ,lots of ideas in this one, some of darkcity,other the matrix and everything many others to boot,a reasonable watch.
Slumdog Millionaire,a great movie,but certainly not a feel good one as the poster would have you believe,its almost sold as a romcom chick flick on the posters,its not at all,but every bit as good as the reviews and word of mouth had said it was.
Remember reading about this in Fangoria some time ago. Have it on order with lovefilm. So looking forward to seeing it

Saw another 3D film which used the 3D technology unlike Bolt. Monster v Aliens. Slow paced at start and tailed off at end. Thought the opening scene, just stunning. At times very amusing.

On the small screen. Saw Stuck. Very entertaining. Stephen Rea was excellent. Mena Suvari was thankfully on non doey eyed form. Very much worth a watch. A very apt title to what happens to certain characters
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
capthowdy66
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by capthowdy66 »

Watched 'Bloodstained Romance' last night and it was ok for a no budget indi flick!
Last edited by capthowdy66 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

lupogirl wrote: On the small screen. Saw Stuck. Very entertaining. Stephen Rea was excellent. Mena Suvari was thankfully on non doey eyed form. Very much worth a watch. A very apt title to what happens to certain characters
I saw this a few weeks back too. I thought it was enjoyable, but felt it might have been better suited as a Masters of Horror episode rather than a 90 minute film.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

xLeft For Deadx wrote:
lupogirl wrote: On the small screen. Saw Stuck. Very entertaining. Stephen Rea was excellent. Mena Suvari was thankfully on non doey eyed form. Very much worth a watch. A very apt title to what happens to certain characters
I saw this a few weeks back too. I thought it was enjoyable, but felt it might have been better suited as a Masters of Horror episode rather than a 90 minute film.
We saw this a while ago too. Very entertaining or as entertaining as a man stuck in a car window can be! :lol:
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Saw Splinter last night, I'd give it 7.5 / 10. Some interesting ideas and creature, albeit not entirely original. Think The Thing meets Evil Dead!

It has its moments, but it could've been more tense and claustrophobic. Overall, enjoyable enough with the usual set-up for a sequel.
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Tell No One, of which you should do the opposite as this is a cracking french thriller,coming of my rental list soon is WaxWork & Blackwater
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

KNOWING ***(Contains Spoilers)***

I've left this movie a couple of weeks because I wanted to wait until people had had plenty of chance to see it before posting anything that contains spoilers. Because it is the most astonishingly unutterable nonsense in years.

Let's start with the aliens' Big Plan - what is it exactly? In 1959 they show up and fill a lot of childrens' heads with a sequence of numbers that's actually the dates, locations and body counts of a series of disasters. What use is this information if it's going to be buried for fifty years? And the only relevant bit of this sequence is at the very end, with the end of the world and some GPS co-ordinates. Which, by chance, is scratched on a school door. A door which, by an even greater chance, just hasn't been replaced in fifty years.

And it's not just the one girl at the start - at the end we see a load of these spaceships leaving Earth just as the solar flares are going off - so there are a lot of people who've suddenly deciphered those numbers. So how come no-one had heard of these mysterious number sequences before, unless they all happened to be buried in time capsules? Given that it took Cage about four minutes to crack the basics of the code, it would have been deciphered years ago. So the fact that this sequence has never shown up suggests all copies were buried until the appropriate time.

This information doesn't benefit either the aliens or the children at the time; it's only of any use a half century down the line when the numbers are already out of date, and it's only relevant to children who'd been specially selected AND whose parents decipher the code in time. Presumably they've been chosen because of an interest in animals - it's explicitly mentioned that Cage's son and Rose Byrne's daughter both watch nature documentaries - but there must be more to it than that.

So these aliens know that in 2009 the Earth dies screaming in a giant solar flare but, rather than actually tell anyone, provide and then suppress a coded numerical sequence that will be cracked (but only in the planet's last minutes) to provide directions for specially chosen 9-year-olds (that don't even exist yet) to be taken across the galaxies to colonise another world, presumably without adult supervision. And over the years, they've sat back and kept silent about floods, earthquakes, volcanoes, terrorist attacks and rail crashes. This makes no sense at all.

And what's with the pebbles?
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

***more spoilers as well I guess***

I have say, I'm with Roger Ebert on this one -- to a point. It's not a great film (as a whole), maybe but it is undeniably great cinema (the bits and pieces of filmaking, ideas, music, moments, edits etc etc). I thought it was by turns unnerving (that plane crash!) and fascinating.

I do honestly find it strange that any fan of plain old ambitious genre filmmaking woulnd't have a passing ounce of pleasure in this. It's unwieldy, ridiculous and sprawling yet it's impossible not to admire the reach on which the production's grasp is ultimately unable to follow through with the required dexterity. But sincerity it has in spades and it's the picture's real pull.

Sincerity is a rare commodity in today's genre filmmaking and the one thing Knowing does better than most genre pictures in recent memory was run with its concept from set-up to pay-off with absolutely no detour into post-modern bluster, last minute salvation or Southland Tales' surrealism for surrealism's sake because you know, it's all so cosmic, man.

If anything, I suspect a lot of the narrative missteps like the underdeveloped purpose of the kids' "hearing" would have been a casualty of massaging the running time down to a manageable 2 hours. It seemed edited to the point that a cluster of explanatory, character-laced and more quiet moments, which you can imagine extrapolated much of the purpose and philosophy behind the "knowledge", had been excised in favour of more audience-friendly carnage. Which wouldn't be unheard of. Especially in an ambitious blockbuster from the last month or so. *Ahem*.

Though he liked the picture a little more than I did, Ebert's blog suggests to me -- and the sense that this is just some wacky "old guy" and not still one of the most astute critics writing today, is pretty insulting, all told -- there's sometimes great satisfaction to be had from the debate generated by a flawed picture's genuinely grand and sincerely presented ideas and the possibilities therein.

So intriguing was Knowing, I can even forgive the more awkward moments, the most egregious of which has yet to be mentioned: the "caves" line actually has a quite chilling pay-off as Cage tells Byrne exactly how fucked they are. What does not have a chilling pay-off, though, is Cage hitting a tree with a metal pole shouting "do you want some of this!" to the phantom whisperers. And the "do you remember Pentecost sermon?" was exposition at its clunkiest, again, most likely at the expense of running time to get that one brief but vital character moment with the second father figure in there. Which is a shame.

He's become a caricature but I actually thought Cage conveyed the heart-wrench of the last act's CEOT3K machinations extremely effectively -- think about the actual experience he's going through there, dads -- even if some of the rest of his performance needed someone with less eccentricity and more of an everyman angst, like an Aaron Eckhart or a late 80s Harrison Ford.

Ultimately, successful or not, I liked it a great deal. And I say all this as someone who isn't religious, though grew up in a religious household, and who who believes -- like Carl Sagan, I guess -- that positing questions of faith/belief/religion, something which is demonstrably a worldview, like it or not too, doesn't have to be Christian propaganda, but can be a very humane, involving and worthwhile line of debate, no matter how outlandish the question or schlocky the vehicle or genre.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Easter weekend is a good time to work my way through some movies,starting with the return of Eric Red,with 100 Feet,its Disturbia Xed wth the Entity an ok movie,not like Cohen & Tate or Body Parts,next up Eve Of Destruction,which is another blade runner inspired movie,Xed with the Terminator,now showing its age but fun if you like this kind of thing.
Waxwork a really fun movie,loads of great ideas in this 80s flick,but no extras on the dvd,lionsgate can do better.
Hatchet ott cartoon gore and the 1st time i watched it since ff 07,lots of fun with this one.
now a grubby grindhouse classic,which at times had me wincing,turning away from the tv,and other times laughing loads at just how much they got away with in the 70s,it can only be and there is only one dyanne thorne,and only one Ilsa she wolf of the ss,a classic of its time.
A trip to the cinema is due and i really fancy seeing escape to witch mountain.