films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Wot no Star Trek posts?im going on Monday to see it,and use up some free tickets but its been a struggle to hold out this long.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

I hated it, but Mr O nearly wet his pants in joy over it. I will let him give the review rather then me just saying it shit.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw Star Trek yesterday. Rather enjoyed it but did have a rather confusing story. Both Spock and Dr McCoy characters were spot on. At times I found it quite moving and other time amusing. There were at least two things in the film I thought"no way" concerning one of the main characters.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Well, Ben 'Chariots of Fire' Cross apparently pops up in Star Trek, but I've just finished watching him in another sci-fi spectacular...Species 4.
I guess he must have changed his agent between films !
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Watched Star Trek

Loved it!
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Watched 3 films recently:

The Mist has a host of familiar faces with some effective setpieces and sequences. The religious undercurrent also adds to this "supernatural" chiller which displays more intelligence than the average horror moive. A great ending too. 8 / 10

Boogeyman 3 is a so-so entry in the franchise that includes a few actors from British soaps in the cast. A couple of effective sequences in an otherwise slightly slow supernatural horror that doesn't deliver what could've been a memorable ending. 6 / 10

Vacancy 2 is a prequel to the first film in the series that tells more about the background of how it all began. There are a few tense scenes (although probably none that match the original) and it is a serviceable enough effort. Some aspects of the ending were also a little different to expected. 7 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Outlander 2 weeks ago i tried to see this and it never arrived at the cinema,now its on region 1 :D .Buit is it any good?
well its easy to dismiss it as tosh,but its a lot better,than some reviews would give it credit for,Predator meets Beowulf but also along the lines of the 13th warrior maybe,but the story arc changes and i started to side with the morwen,which is well done and has similarities to the kathoga from the relic as well as some to roland emerichs,Godzilla,coming from tatopoulos studios thats where the similarities arrive,a distinct cut above a lot of movies out there,with good cgi too,well worth watching.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

The Changeling not since the days of the old video label VTC had i seen this pretty good ghost story starring george c scott.
Deadwood which not being the best of debuts isnt bad,and certainly better than Tooth & Nail,which for me set a new low,influenced by the evil dead, & blair witch but not enough to make it really scary the pacings too slow and by the time anything kicks off,the running time is getting low,still a few nice effects make this alright,but not worth buying,and FF get a mention in the producers thankyou's.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Salo arrived on bluray off my rental list,having seen this once thats enough,but the 2nd disc does have some interesting Xtras,but the film is not a film i want to watch again or own.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

This returing of 3D glasses? Do the cinemas dissiinfect them? Or is there going to be a plague of eye diseases?
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Bearded Avenger wrote:This returing of 3D glasses? Do the cinemas dissiinfect them? Or is there going to be a plague of eye diseases?
The ones we have at work can be put in a dishwasher and cleaned about 1000 times. I would assume (and hope!) they send them off to do it.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

Well just watched Martyrs and it was an experience. Brilliantly made film. Have to give major respect to the writer, director and actors. There is a major sense of evil pervading the movie. However it wasn't as disturbing as I thought, just extremely nihilistic. Irreversible still stands as the most disturbing movie I have ever seen.
"The little pissed Welsh tit is here. And pissed"
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

Day off work today, so I also watched 'The Girl Next Door' wish I'de chosen something a bit lighter. Martys and this was a very dark double header. Good film a little rushed in places but good God I feel depressed now!
"The little pissed Welsh tit is here. And pissed"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

ANGELS AND DEMONS SPOILERS

Having refreshed my memories of the humourless and self-important The Da Vinci Code the other night (thanks to Channel Five: I'd forgotten how dull it was) I imagined that Howard and Hanks had taken the criticisms on board for Angels & Demons. Er, no they haven't. It's still a case of running into rooms, looking at old things, muttering historical trivia, coming to flashes of realisation and running out again.

This time it's a frankly unbelievable whodunnit in the Se7en vein as someone has abducted four top Catholic cardinals at the time when the Vatican is deciding the new pope and is bumping them off in significant fashions before planning to set a bomb off and destroy the seat of Catholicism with some antimatter generated by the Large Hadron Collider. (First I heard of antimatter was in Dr Who and the Planet of Evil, early on in the Tom Baker years.) It is of course absolute nonsense; it doesn't make sense and as in a lot of these movies, the blatantly obvious mystery villain seems to have control over largely unpredictable events. There are a few laughs at the stupidity of it all but that's all it has going for it. Not recommended.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Martyrs revisited, i received this last week,and it was with much dread as well as excitement i watched it,the further on it went,the more i dreaded what was coming,maybe its because i knew what lay ahead made it worse for me,but second time around i found it not easy viewing at all,but equally as powerful and thought provoking.