films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Goosebumps
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Goosebumps »

Hello Doris! wrote:

Also casting Cameron Diaz as a mother of three kids the oldest being 15/16 just doesn't work.
She's 36 so it does work age wise. This is the second film version of My Sister's Keeper. The other one a really low budget made of TV job is much better
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Goosebumps wrote:
Hello Doris! wrote:

Also casting Cameron Diaz as a mother of three kids the oldest being 15/16 just doesn't work.
She's 36 so it does work age wise. This is the second film version of My Sister's Keeper. The other one a really low budget made of TV job is much better
age wise it may work, but she doesn't look 36 and the "kids" look at least 20. They do the old short hair trick at the end to show she has ages and time has passed. Very very bad!
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Blood: the Last Vampire is absolutely dreadful, a piss-poor westernised version of eastern genre cinema, made by someone who can't direct an action scene to save his life (this film has some of the worst action geography I've ever seen), apparently edited by feeding the footage into a wood chipper, and with CG monsters so awful they belong on a Saturday morning kids tv show on Five.

How did Warner Brother's end up releasing this?
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

MaxRenn wrote:Blood: the Last Vampire is absolutely dreadful, a piss-poor westernised version of eastern genre cinema, made by someone who can't direct an action scene to save his life (this film has some of the worst action geography I've ever seen), apparently edited by feeding the footage into a wood chipper, and with CG monsters so awful they belong on a Saturday morning kids tv show on Five.

Me and the gf were thinking about seeing that this week.....maybe not now!!
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Session 9 with David Caruso of CSI Miami fame (sadly without the sunglasses and the tilting of them everytime something is revealed :( ) and Peter Mullan who has been in loads. We were recommend it by someone who said as horror fans we'd love it (mmm don't think they know what horror we like :) ) we in turn lent them the excellent Chaser from last years fest.

Starts off quite slow with the team taking on a job of removing asbestos from a mental hospital, but the cracks soon start to show. Worth a watch on a dull Friday evening, but not wet your pants exciting or scary. It is worth a watch for the voices of Princess, Billy and Simon though.

Its only 4.99 on HMV, or you should be able to get it on LoveFilm or dare I say it download it...

Also watched Nightmare on Elm Street for the first time ever this weekend. Was really impressed with the makeup/SFX for the time. Oh and Johnny Depp - Miaow!
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Wolfshade wrote:
MaxRenn wrote:Blood: the Last Vampire is absolutely dreadful, a piss-poor westernised version of eastern genre cinema, made by someone who can't direct an action scene to save his life (this film has some of the worst action geography I've ever seen), apparently edited by feeding the footage into a wood chipper, and with CG monsters so awful they belong on a Saturday morning kids tv show on Five.

Seriously avoid, the fact that it was released without any reviews (evan Total Film and Empire failed to run one) speaks for itself. Watch the anime again instead. Blood makes Blade: Trinity look like... um... well Blade.

And they hired Corey Yuen to do the fights, couldn't they have asked him to direct the thing too?
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Quarantinea reasonable version of REC padded out a bit longer than the original but not bad.
Cars great movie from Pixar and John Lasseter,funny charming and a joy to watch and on blu ray looks stunning.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

MaxRenn wrote:
Wolfshade wrote:

Seriously avoid, the fact that it was released without any reviews (evan Total Film and Empire failed to run one) speaks for itself. Watch the anime again instead. Blood makes Blade: Trinity look like... um... well Blade.

And they hired Corey Yuen to do the fights, couldn't they have asked him to direct the thing too?
Oh gawd! Am planning to seeing tonight. Shame, the trailer looked good!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

lupogirl wrote:
MaxRenn wrote:
Wolfshade wrote: Me and the gf were thinking about seeing that this week.....maybe not now!!

Oh gawd! Am planning to seeing tonight. Shame, the trailer looked good!
Bafflingly Fangoria's review of this calls the creature FX "stunning", I can only surmise the reviewer was on crack.

Here's the link to that review, for a second opinion http://fangoria.com/reviews/2-film/3056 ... eview.html However I have to say, I'm right, and he's insane;-)
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I just got back from seeing Bruno... as you'd expect from Sacha Baron Cohen, if you liked Ali G and Borat then chances are you'll like Bruno too. It's the same setup, a simple narrative (gay fashion presenter goes to America aiming to become a celebrity) with a number of set pieces where he dupes individuals or groups of people who don't realise he's a fictional character. It's very vulgar, will no doubt offend certain people, but you know what you're going to get... I laughed quite a lot but I certainly won't watch it again.

And talk about high security - they were really scrutinising invites (certain people were turned away so I don't know if they'd been tipped off about fakes?), bag searches and inspecting mobile phones... the screening was over half an hour late in starting as a result. :?

I also saw Year One which was very hit and miss. More miss than hit, sadly... felt like a number of sketches shoehorned into some kind of vague plot, with Jack Black doing the same old schtick he does in every comedy.
First things first, stay calm.
kitkat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by kitkat »

The Ruins: rather enjoyable yarn about killer plants (vines) that was a million times better than The Crappening.

Rogue: excellent creature feature about a gigantic killer croc in an Australian back water. Any film about a killer croc has to be worth a view (even Lake Placid 2) but this was especailly well made with great performances from the cast and a fairly realistic animal. Can't understand why it has not received a Region 2 DVD release.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

ever wondered what the mind of bad boy wannabe gangsters is like,its easy pop in Ten Dead Men into your dvd player and hey presto instant mind meld,now i know what goes on in there,with added narration by Doug Bradley,& starring Lee Latchford Evans,(he was the fit one in Steps) and Pooja Shah who was in Eastenders, who's killed all too early leaving an almost all male cast and appears in flashbacks, so maybe its the mind of someone in denial.
Best watched on fasforward it makes the fights look better,with shady characters in leather jackets,70s jason king lookalikes,looks like the future of the british film industry is in good hands,watch if you have to?
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

just a note to say that rogue is an awsome flick.best creature feaure since the imortal "frankenfish"
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

brad1000 wrote:just a note to say that rogue is an awsome flick.best creature feaure since the imortal "frankenfish"
Very few films are better than Frankenfish.