films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Watched Blood: The Last Vampire last night and rather enjoyed it.

Though i did find the American girl who was totally useless and expressionless as a side kick. Some good fights scenes but slightly spoiled by fast editing and CGI blood. I have the anime version on order with love film. So be interesting to see this version.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

lupogirl wrote:Some good fights scenes but slightly spoiled by fast editing and CGI blood. I have the anime version on order with love film. So be interesting to see this version.
YES! That's absolutely right, and completely encapsulates everything I was going to say about Blood: The Last Vampire (so I really don't need to bother). The CG blood spurts just look like someone's lobbed a handful of rasperries in the air. But I liked the 70s look of the movie (and setting it back then gets rid of that whole cellphone-and-Google thing). Nowhere near as bad as you've heard.

Year One, though, is. There are a few laughs but it's a bit of a mix-and-match sketch show wander through caveman and Bible spoof with a lot of poo, wee, fart and knob jokes. Most of it isn't very funny (I can talk) and the whole thing ends up as History Of The World Part 2 meets Carry On Apocalypto.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Public Enemies starring Johnny Depp (miaow!) and the man who killed Milky in This Is England. Interesting story and nice costumes but badly let down by the camera work - I've seen better student films. Bad american accents, bad acting and Marion Cotillard look embarrased at some stages to be seen in it.
Not one to rush out and watch or buy for that matter. If you can get a copy or someone will lend it to you when they've forked out £14 for it watch it. Or just read the book (something I intend to do), as by all accounts its a lot better.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

A suprisingly good rental can be found in Mulberry Street or its english title zombie virus on mulberry street,follows a community before and during an outbreak of some virus caused by rat bites,turning folks into murderous rat style critters,not your usual slow pace plodding affair but fast paced, well edited and with good gore and a superb use of the camera,and must not forget a cracking score too give mulberry street a look.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

I'll give a nod to Mulberry Street too.
(Irksome title change though !)
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

No-one ever played middle-aged female nutjobs as well as Bette Davis. In this case, the film was The Nanny a mostly forgotten b&w Hammer film in which she looks after an utterly dysfunctional English middle class family that has never recovered from the accidental drowning of a young daughter. Who is trying to bump off the rest of the family...the nanny or the ghastly 10 year old son that's just been returned from 2 years in a kiddie asylum? Beautifully directed and acted, this is a great little slow-burner for wet Saturday afternoons.
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

Just back from seeing Bruno. Really enjoyed the start but then it got a tired quickly. Bits were well done and i would say that overall it is worth a look.

Overall nowhere near Borat but still ok.
Muffy St. John
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Muffy St. John »

I love The Nanny, great film with a great central performance.
JSh0k
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JSh0k »

100 feet... Eric Red, Famke Janssen... how could it fail... truth is it doesn't really... it's a pretty fun R rated horror flick with a couple of really cool scenes and a shockingly brutal (and also quite funny but that might just be me) death towards the end... Enjoyed it quite a lot... stupid but fun...
many things can be preserved in alcohol... dignity is certainly not one of them...
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

last week (tummy bugs are good for something I guess)

Silent Bloodnight - Austrian slasher, with all dialogue in Schwarzenegger style english. Unintentionally funny in a lot of places. Check ze trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srUFL3TOt5U

Rambu aka The Intruder - Indonesian flick, great laugh. I reccomend watching the first 3 minutes here, it's pure gold. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBlM6CSZDIc

La bluegirl live; revenge of the sex demon king - live adaptation of Japanese tentacle stuff. Japanese schoolgirls, tentacles, loads of cheesy stuff, quite entertaining.

La bluegirl live 2; birth of the demon child - more tentacle wackness

La bluegirl live 3; lady ninja - last one in the series it seems, the novelty had worn of a bit by now. Still better then anything Nicholad Cage has ever done though

Raw Force - 2nd time I've seen this now, pure genius stuff. Or as some guy says on IMDB: 'Without a doubt one of the all-time single most sublimely shoddy'n'stupid shot-in-the-Phillippines low-budget kung-fu gore/horror/zombie/cannibal cheesy Grade Z exploitation trash masterpieces to ever ooze its divinely dopey way onto celluloid'. And he forgot to mention the Nazi haha.

Exterminator city - showed this together with Raw Force Ghouldrool who was quite impressed with it. seeing it for the 2nd time myself I must say it did get a bit repetitive, but when it comes to robots killing naked girls that's not a bad thing of course hehe.

Mystics in Bali - Indonesian black magic / flying head stuff. Quite entertaining but the evil woman's laughing was very very annoying.

Gagamboy - Phillipino spiderman, and why not! Cheesy fun for the entire family.

The Restless - Korean fantasy martial arts flick. Not completely sure I always understood what was going on but boy did it look pretty.

Black magic with Buddha - Fun little hong kong horror about a guy that uses a mummy's brain for black magic purposes, which should be fine, as long as he doesn't get greedy. And does he get greedy? does he? of course he does, there wouldn't be a movie in he didn't would there!

Hex - Shaw Brothers stuff that took a very long time to get going but got pretty good towards the end. The 'exorcism' ritual at the end was pretty WTF haha.

Crazy lips - whack Japanese stuff, entertaining but pretty odd.

Gore from outer space - see Crazy lips.

Magic of the Universe - Phillipino fantasy horror with lots of strange creatures. I was pretty spaced out on medication while watching this one and couldn't really get into it. Will have to give it a 2nd chance at some point.

Hanzo the Razor - sword of justice - Hanzo is badass! I expected a bit more action, but the action there was was pretty damn bloody. Loved his interrogation techniques as well hehe.

Anvil - the story of Anvil - fun at times, but I couldn't help noticing how average the singer is.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Mongol is a stunning beautifully shot movie with an engaging story and is worth watching on a very large screen,but it falls short of delivering what im sure we would all want to see is huge battles,the rise of an empire that would span half the world and foes vanquished,instead we get a love story beautifully shot,with a couple of good battles and the rise of Genghis Khan,and then it stops,about 2hrs 5 mins,what there is is very good but its just not enough,this should have been a 4 hour movie an epic,if oliver stone can make Alexander and cut it 3 times,im sure the makers could have done more? but its still a great movie stunted by its running time.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Dark Ride is a nonsensical slasher movie in which a bunch of potato-brained college idiots spend the night in a funfair ghost train and are dispatched by a maniac who escaped from the asylum two weeks previously. It is desperately unoriginal, none of the characters are worth caring about, and even the flashes of blood and gore go for naught. Terrible and then some.

Slightly better is Cannibals, yet another Jess Franco quickie which isn't anywhere near his best stuff but is a marginal improvement on some of his sillier offerings. Scientist ventures into cannibal territory: they eat his wife, cut his arm off and take his daughter to be their white goddess. Ten years later the one-armed scientist goes up river again, this time with a collection of partying idiots (we're going looking for cannibals; don't forget your bikini), most of whom get munched at great length in slow-motion. The White Goddess is still there but only wears a strategically placed bit of string and the Boots No 7 range of eyeliner, despite the tribe never having had any contact with Western civilisation. She's also managed to dye her hair blonde and they all speak English. It's rubbish.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Resident Evil Degeneration is like spending 90 mins watching somebody play the game,the animations good but the story lacks anything great.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Grindhouse wrote:Resident Evil Degeneration is like spending 90 mins watching somebody play the game,the animations good but the story lacks anything great.
Was it just me or did you really want to play what was on screen? And I don't even play on the computer :)
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Man, Raw Force is something else. It's an almost unrepeatable* exercise in off-the-cuff filmmaking-cum-paid-for-holiday-cum-money-laundering-exercise.

Totally, completely bizarre it features:

- non-sequiter plotting that's sometimes like an inert Carry On Cruising and other times like a Kentucky Fried Movie-style movie with all the parody commercials and trailers taken out

- hairy men cavorting with impossibly nubile yet still quite plain dolly birds (possibly from Readers Wives style soft-core)

- surprisingly energetic kung fu from what look like middle aged PE teachers on a jolly

- Cameron Mitchell doing his best drunk uncle/Albert Finney impression and seemingly wandered in from some other salty sea-dog drama what with his early century naval get-up

- and of course the Hitler look-a-like with a girly giggle and rubbish henchmen.

Add in its ramshackle cast of assorted Asian monks and it comes off as nothing so much as Jess Franco remaking a feaure-length scene from one of Tsui Harks Mad Mission movies.

I don't know if I could ever watch it again knowing a) how drawn out it all really is and b) how most of its very fertile pleasures reside in the element of complete surprise at first viewing about how fucking odd it all is. But as an exploitation fan, it is kind of essential and laced with, as Junko says, some sort of insane genius for genuine entertainment. It is, however, sadly one of those pictures which, in recommending it, probably makes me and Junko sound like those cult bores which post-modernism has bred with alarming speed. We're not, honestly and Raw Force is a genuine one off. Or maybe one of a pair with Raiders Of Atlantis?

*(although many, many of those filmmaker types who don't really get irony and think intentional and lazily informed cheese is a substitute for actual fun will try)
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]